Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stopping users on your ignore list posting on your threads

Should ignored users be prevented from posting on your threads?

• Yes, great idea, stop them

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • No, poor idea, they should still be able to contribute

Votes: 80 70.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Terrible idea. It goes against the very ethos of NSC and internet forums. I agree with censorship on racist, homophobic, etc,etc posts but to allow individuals to block users from any threads they wish is very draconian measure.

Furthermore, there are some delicate people on here, who may top themselves, especially at Christmas time, to find they are being blocked from any comment. Some of them have Dug Deep to be offensive to other posters but then scream out for protection when abused back in return.

KEEP DEBATE OPEN

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I am, for the first time since joining NSC, on the fence. I can see that a thread you start isn't "yours", so that would lead to a"no". On the other hand, presumably some folk have people on ignore because of a spat. Here, the risk is that the blocked poster may deliberately derail the threads started by the blocker. Is there any evidence of this?

Personally, I have no-one on ignore, though 3 or 4 have come close. If I did ever put someone on ignore, I'd probably not want to see their posts on threads I'd started, and I'd obviously look more frequently at a thread I'd started than some other threads.

Tricky - perhaps a trial, as Tony suggests?

Hmmm, I believe I'm more persuaded by the "no" canvassers than I am by the "yes" camp. Voted accordingly.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think one of the strengths of NSC, and what sets it apart from other message boards for other clubs is that is echoes the tolerance ethos that we see in Brighton itself. Anything that restricts that ethos is a backward step IMO. The ignore feature does the job reasonably well, if someone genuinely gets up your nose on the internet then you don't have to read their comments.

We live in a wonderful country that puts up with a variety of views, good, bad and ugly. There are people on NSC who express opinions that are diametrically opposite to my own, but I will always defend their right to express those views. To paraphrase Orwell, on NSC everyone is equal, and no one is more equal than anyone else. Even Bozza has been banned in the past. Let's not turn this fantastic messageboard into a form of apartheid.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
No
Why does anyone have anyone on an ignore list?
Restricting use will reduce turnover
If some decide to ban everyone and start a load of topics it could bring the whole thing down
NSC is the top forum, if it aint broke...

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The vast majority of people put someone on ignore for no other reason than their contributions on a thread are nothing more than “trolling” reasons, the main amount of reported posts we get are people reporting “trolls” so if you start a thread and you know that the trolls you have on ignore can’t contribute within that public thread it will create the thread/s to flow with far more reasoned healthy debate and will prevent the trolls from derailing the thread and turning it into a binfest.

I also believe that it will increase the use of the vastly underused “ignore” function, it has absolutely nothing to do with the thread starter “owning” the thread, just about everyone starts a thread for it to cause open healthy debate and for sensible contribution, as indeed this very thread is doing!

If anyone does have individuals on ignore purely because they don’t agree or like their opinions (trolls aside) they are the ones who have a problem, they clearly don’t want to listen to other peoples opinions or reasons, I doubt many people like that actually start threads anyway.

This function should be given a trial run in my opinion, use it for say a 3 month period and we can then monitor it and see if it is an asset to the board or not.

Have you any data to back up how this change has affected other forums? If not can I suggest that nothing is done until 'you' have some proof that user volumes, post turnover etcetera are not adversely affected rather than implementing a trial based on no statistics, that MAY harm NSC irrevocably?

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
No
If some decide to ban everyone and start a load of topics it could bring the whole thing down

As a guest i feel the ignore option is a cop out , engage in banter good and bad and give and take ( sorry buzzer ) Nothing should be taken too seriously should it ? i've said numerous times this is a good forum so why change it! Finally i wish all the weeds a happy xmas a shit boxing day and a piss poor second half of the season:wink:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The amount of threads that ROTR could post on would be comically low :D
Too 'exclusive' for me. Can't see the point of the thumb up/thump down indicators either, unless they total up per user to see who posts the most shit.
As is, please.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I disagree. With this new feature I will be able to ignore everyone who ever disagrees with me until eventually I will have my own mini NSC where everyone agrees with every single word I say and all posts below mine will just read "Great post, Commander", "Top work sir", "Spot on as always" etc etc. I'd like that.

http://www.seagullschat.com/

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've found a modification that will prevent users that you have on your ignore list from posting on threads that you start. They'll simply not be able to contribute where you started a thread.

Shall I install it?
Ridiculous idea. Just because someone starts a thread, doesn't make it their thread. What about the Official Match Day threads - some people won't be able to post in them.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
I don't have an ignore list. Why ignore someone just because you don't agree with them. That after all is what debate is all about. That's why I voted no.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
No

People post all sorts of drivel on here, most of which is welcome, but it does piss me off, when we are on transfer deadline day or waiting on some hot news and someone goes into attention seeking overdrive.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
As a guest i feel the ignore option is a cop out , engage in banter good and bad and give and take ( sorry buzzer ) Nothing should be taken too seriously should it ? i've said numerous times this is a good forum so why change it! Finally i wish all the weeds a happy xmas a shit boxing day and a piss poor second half of the season:wink:

The feeling is mutual sunshine. Merry Christmas.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No - this is supposed to be an inclusive message board (I think), not a series of self serving, self satisfied cliques.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Also, get rid of the "ignore" function altogether.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
This forum just ain't the same since I put everyone on ignore....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here