Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amy Lawrence - Guardian

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Good stuff. God forbid the supposed custodians of our game the FA and FL could enforce a genuine Fit and Proper Persons Test when clubs are sold on

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
At least some journo's are in touch with what football is really about, and what it means to us fans.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
She is 100% correct. I don't want to let it get in the way of what will hopefully be a great day but the media retelling of this 'rags to riches' story is already grinding my gears.

1. Where is the personal criticism of Bill Archer who asset stripped this club for his own profit? All I hear are oblique references to selling the ground to cover debt which isn't even half the story.

2. The national media that is now making copy out of this story were VERY slow to pick up on what was going on 20 years ago and were perfectly happy to talk of Albion fans in hooligan terms until it was very nearly too late. There were some exceptions to this but nowhere near enough.

3. The FA has done very little to stop what happened to us happening to other clubs. In fact, I think the situation is worse.

Well ****ing said Amy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
She is 100% correct. I don't want to let it get in the way of what will hopefully be a great day but the media retelling of this 'rags to riches' story is already grinding my gears.

1. Where is the personal criticism of Bill Archer who asset stripped this club for his own profit? All I hear are oblique references to selling the ground to cover debt which isn't even half the story.

2. The national media that is now making copy out of this story were VERY slow to pick up on what was going on 20 years ago and were perfectly happy to talk of Albion fans in hooligan terms until it was very nearly too late. There were some exceptions to this but nowhere near enough.

3. The FA has done very little to stop what happened to us happening to other clubs. In fact, I think the situation is worse.

Well ****ing said Amy.

They never talk about shite asset-stripping owners. A Rags to Riches story is great for them as all the neutrals can get behind it. They never dig beneath the surface, would make for uncomfortable viewing/reading. I remember a few years back on Sky Sports, Mathhew Syed talking about how Abramovich was bankrolling Chelsea on the backs of Russian State assets that he'd, and others had 'bought' for a fraction of their value, basically robbing the Russian nation. The airhead interviewer, visibly uncomfortable kept trying to bring him back on message by saying how wonderful it must be for Chelsea fans because of the squad he was building

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Well ****ing said Amy.

Is there a decent short summary anywhere anyway? Trying to explain to others the significance beyond what they see in the papers is hard - and they're not going to sit down and read 'Build a Bonfire'. I've been looking for a succinct summation of those few years, but can't really find one.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
They're not using us as the example but Jeff Stelling and his crew are talking about the amount of crap owners still in the game right now on SSN.

Shame the FA/FL seem to care less than everyone else isn't it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here