Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2017

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This month I have seen only two movies:

Lego Batman Movie
As a big fan of comic book movies, and Batman in particular, I loved this. I know I've missed a whole load of jokes. So much going on in every scene made it difficult to catch everything. Doesn't have the same wide appeal as the lego movie, but for Batfans, it was utterly brilliant.

Prevenge
Really good (though I think the people in front of me enjoyed it more, they were in hysterics almost all the way through). I thought the DJ Dan section was a particular highlight. But the whole film is good. Shifting tone and keeping you on edge. Worth checking out, I'd say.

As for the oscars. Most years I make an effort to at least check out the best picture noms, and as many of the films that have acting noms (usually they are mostly the same). But this year I've struggled to build up the enthusiasm for it. I thought Arrival was good, but felt it would lose a lot of impact on re-watch (until the reveation it felt very much eh to me). I had no sympathy for either main character in la la land and thus wasn't invested in their story at all, and felt the music overpowering the lyrics is a poor show for a musical film. I really enjoyed Hell or High Water, so of the three I'd want that to win, but I know it's most likely La La Land. As Meade says, Hollywood loves itself some hollywood. I think there has been too much of a "is this just being nominated as a response to #oscarowhite?" attitude to a lot of he non-white nominees that they won't just be given the awards to prove oscars aren't racist. Viola Davies has a good chance because the cast of Fences lived with their characters for a lot longer than usual for film because they had a run in theatre perfecting the performances, which gives it more of a foundation for a good performance. I think Maharsala Ali is in with a shout under the position of 'we need to recognise Moonlight because it was a good film, let's give them the supporting actor'.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I saw Lion today. A film that I don't suspect will trouble the Oscars tonight, nor do I expect Patel to walk away with the best supporting actor.

Whilst good, particularly in the first half, the second portion of the film, led by Patel, was a much weaker fare. Whilst the first half was tense, emotional, beautifully shot and unpredictable, the second half dragged the film down immeasurably, sharing none of these characteristics. If anything, it was incredibly predictable.

Unfulfilled potential - 7/10 (mainly for the first half).

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Oscars 2017

I am predicting a few surprises tomorrow notably Moonlight winning best film over La La Land, not for merit but due to pc reasons after the recent criticism over lack of awards to non whites. This is a fair criticism but this film is not worthy of the accolade as it is frankly imo very overrated. It is a decent story about isolation, identity and sexuality but incredibly slow and tedious. ALL the critics absolutely adore it though, lauding it as the best film for decades and incredibly moving. Kermode was almost out of control with all the praise he heaped on it. The acting was good but I just did not get it, it left me cold. Judging by recent comments a lot of people disagree with me

La La Land is for me 10 x better and the worthy winner but in many ways I feel the best thing for this film now is to win very little at the Oscars, ironically the worst thing that happened for this film is in winning all 7 golden globes and numerous other awards as there has been a sustained and relentless backlash since then from a lot of critics and the public. Before the awards it got pretty much universal love and praise from everyone but in the last few weeks I have lost count of the amount of people who have said and written " it is a load of rubbish " It seems everyone who went to see the film recently was going into the cinema desperate to hate it and pick holes in it. If it wins 11 or 12 Oscars this will be very bad news for this magnificent film

Of the 5 films I have seen nominated Arrival is my second best, it is a beautiful and poignant film for the times encouraging nations to work together to find a solution for a future event that threatens Mankind, that was the gift from the Aliens, Amy Adams should definitely have got a best actress nomination

Third is Lion, a very moving and wonderful film

Fourth is Hacksaw Ridge, another great film

Fifth is Moonlight

So I expect Moonlight to get a surprise win, all the momentum is behind this film, Ladbrokes at 11 to 2 is definitely worth a tenner, La La Land is 1 to 7

Best actress surely has to be Emma Stone

Best actor Casey Affleck

Best supporting actor Ali for Moonlight

Best supporting actress Viola Davis for fences

Best Director Damien Chazelle for La La Land

What are your views and what films have you seen from the shortlist ?

Many thanks

Spot on.

Wrong Best Picture given best oscar,, oh the Irony

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The Oscars 2017

I am predicting a few surprises tomorrow notably Moonlight winning best film over La La Land, not for merit but due to pc reasons after the recent criticism over lack of awards to non whites. This is a fair criticism but this film is not worthy of the accolade as it is frankly imo very overrated. It is a decent story about isolation, identity and sexuality but incredibly slow and tedious. ALL the critics absolutely adore it though, lauding it as the best film for decades and incredibly moving. Kermode was almost out of control with all the praise he heaped on it. The acting was good but I just did not get it, it left me cold. Judging by recent comments a lot of people disagree with me

I'm with you on this, just another rights of passage movie.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm with you on this, just another rights of passage movie.

Moonlight for me is a pc vote, an anti trump vote and a protest vote, nothing more. It is imo the most overrated film to have ever won the Oscar best picture

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Some very good predicting. Hope you put a smidgen of moolah on it, that would lessen the blow of La La Land not coming out "officially" on top.
:)

I had £ 15 at 11 to 2 and collected £ 97.50 today thanks Meade

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I had £ 15 at 11 to 2 and collected £ 97.50 today thanks Meade

:)
Excellent.
I think you were saying you might see Moonlight again, to see if your mind changes at all. I might do the same, but really I promise myself to see Toni Erdmann again this week as that was a cracker I don't want to miss whilst it feels fresh - and before Jack Nicholson comes out of retirement to star in the remake of, as has been rumoured.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I have and it was vastly superior to Moonlight

I really do beg to differ. Crash is a walking cliche of a film, with awful acting and all the subtlety of an elephant in a china shop. Then again, it's hard to expect anything else from a film anchored by Sandra Bullock who is probably the most overrated actress in Hollywood.

Saying that, I'd have preferred La La Land to win to Moonlight, but Moonlight is still exceptional movie making and is still deserving of an Oscar, even if they've been helped by political correctness this year.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I really do beg to differ. Crash is a walking cliche of a film, with awful acting and all the subtlety of an elephant in a china shop. Then again, it's hard to expect anything else from a film anchored by Sandra Bullock who is probably the most overrated actress in Hollywood.

Saying that, I'd have preferred La La Land to win to Moonlight, but Moonlight is still exceptional movie making and is still deserving of an Oscar, even if they've been helped by political correctness this year.

Are we talking about the same film? I would hardly describe Crash as being anchored by Sandra Bullock. She's in it but hardly a central character.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Crash for me was a decent film. Best film of that year, no. Anyway Moonlight is a decent film, it is not bad but just feel it is not really a best film, film. Ali was good but the best performance of the year ? No, not really by a long shot. La La Land got 6 so well recognised but just felt it deserved best film. It is not worth losing any sleep over though we are lucky we can think something like this is of any importance in the scheme of things considering the state of the world I guess

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Are we talking about the same film? I would hardly describe Crash as being anchored by Sandra Bullock. She's in it but hardly a central character.

She was the star, for sure. She was the character that a lot of the drama was built around.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Crash for me was a decent film. Best film of that year, no. Anyway Moonlight is a decent film, it is not bad but just feel it is not really a best film, film. Ali was good but the best performance of the year ? No, not really by a long shot. La La Land got 6 so well recognised but just felt it deserved best film. It is not worth losing any sleep over though we are lucky we can think something like this is of any importance in the scheme of things considering the state of the world I guess

I agree about Ali. I wouldn't have given that award to him. I thought the supporting actor category was one of the strongest, and his performance didn't stand out that much for me.

I also agree that I'd have preferred La La Land to win, as I previously stated. Like you say though, not worth losing sleep over.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I saw Lion today. A film that I don't suspect will trouble the Oscars tonight, nor do I expect Patel to walk away with the best supporting actor.

Whilst good, particularly in the first half, the second portion of the film, led by Patel, was a much weaker fare. Whilst the first half was tense, emotional, beautifully shot and unpredictable, the second half dragged the film down immeasurably, sharing none of these characteristics. If anything, it was incredibly predictable.

Unfulfilled potential - 7/10 (mainly for the first half).

Being adopted the second half resonated with me and I was a wreck

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Being adopted the second half resonated with me and I was a wreck

I just felt that it all seemed a little hollow. They eked out what they could, but essentially 20 years passed where he didn't think about his family and then he ate one childhood treat and became an emotional wreck.

I guess the biggest issue I had is it just needed more time to truly explore this time frame, whereas they fully explored the whole of the first half and how it all arose.

I can imagine being adopted really would impact on how it resonated though.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I just felt that it all seemed a little hollow. They eked out what they could, but essentially 20 years passed where he didn't think about his family and then he ate one childhood treat and became an emotional wreck.

I guess the biggest issue I had is it just needed more time to truly explore this time frame, whereas they fully explored the whole of the first half and how it all arose.

I can imagine being adopted really would impact on how it resonated though.

You do not know the turmoil he went through in those 20 years as it was not in the film. It has lived with me every single day of my life

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Watching the **** up of the Oscars last night the person I feel the most for is the 79 year old Warren Beatty. He did not make a mistake and was put in a horrible position as was Faye Dunaway. Glorious **** up but in no way their fault. Worst things happen at Sea. Hey ho it is only films after all. Feel sorry for Warren he deserves better than that and he was clearly struggling with it all being given the wrong ****ing envelope

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Watching the **** up of the Oscars last night the person I feel the most for is the 79 year old Warren Beatty. He did not make a mistake and was put in a horrible position as was Faye Dunaway. Glorious **** up but in no way their fault. Worst things happen at Sea. Hey ho it is only films after all. Feel sorry for Warren he deserves better than that and he was clearly struggling with it all being given the wrong ****ing envelope

I see this morning that the two accountants have had to be given bodyguards as they've received death threats after what happened. Seriously, how sad can some people be??

:nono:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here