Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I was at that reserve game which he totally bossed
Overweight and legs were gone, he barely strayed from centre circle
Yet he sprayed inch perfect passes all across the pitch time and time again
It was impressive
Funnily enough, that's much as I remembered. I almost said word for word to my dad what you had written. Very tubby iirc!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I am positive I remember AM turning out for the reserves. We were giving Northampton reserves a tonking and if memory serves he had a run out during the 2nd half!
Maybe I'm getting old? If not, didn't we win about 7-0 or similar?

I know it's not the 1st team but it was at the The Goldstone along time ago! 76/77 ish

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I was at that reserve game which he totally bossed
Overweight and legs were gone, he barely strayed from centre circle
Yet he sprayed inch perfect passes all across the pitch time and time again
It was impressive
Legend has it that he gathered the players together on his first day in the centre circle and hit the ball against the goal upright. Looked at them (sniggering) and took another shot to hit the other upright! Had them in the palm of his hand after that!

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I am positive I remember AM turning out for the reserves. We were giving Northampton reserves a tonking and if memory serves he had a run out during the 2nd half!
Maybe I'm getting old? If not, didn't we win about 7-0 or similar?

I know it's not the 1st team but it was at the The Goldstone along time ago! 76/77 ish
I think you are right, seem to recall being disappointed he didn't start.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Yes, that was the rumor and I for one turned up on the off chance. Blimey, just realized that was 40 years ago!

Said I was getting old! I do recall this happening though. I hope no one comes along to pi55 on my parade haha! I'll be getting up soon enough to pi55 during the night without appearing to lose my marbles as well. I just hope I can recall where the bathroom is if that is the case!! :p

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Said I was getting old! I do recall this happening though. I hope no one comes along to pi55 on my parade haha! I'll be getting up soon enough to pi55 during the night without appearing to lose my marbles as well. I just hope I can recall where the bathroom is if that is the case!! :p

What's this bit mean..?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Shame he was just past it when he joined us really. He had been an absolutely outstanding player and captain for England, Spurs and Fulham. I actually think he was rather underated in his day. If you watch replays of the famous 1970 World Cup match against *that* Brazil side I think he's England's best player (yes, better than Moore and Banks) - totally bossing midfield and nullifying Pele. He could score a cracking goal too - anyone remember this goal of the season for Fulham in 1974...?*

*(assist by Barry "I'm going to tell Garry Nelson in the Wembley dressing room toilets that he's not going to feature in the play-off final" Lloyd)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Just a sign of age :)

ah..
Well......let me see if u like this,i do....

Heard it once,can't remember where........

You know you are getting old,when it takes you all night to do what you used to do all night..

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Tried to reply to Kevo but couldn't work it out. Too old!
He had retired from playing the summer before he joined us. Peter Taylor left us to join up with Clough just before the season started. Mike Bamber saw him at Fulham the previous season where he decked one of his own players for not playing to the game plan. Mullers said he waited all summer for a phone call that never came until Mike rang.
He also said on the telly that marking Pele was the easiest game he ever had for England because he only had to worry about one player! Shame we lost!
He eventually got his World Cup winners medal many years later because in those days only the first 11 got medals. Also there were no subs in those days.

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills