Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any BT Openreach engineers on here?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Have a grizzle on twitter @BTCare or @BTBusinessCare

Might not be any help, but at least you can publically call them out on how utterly SHITHOUSE their company is. Which can be mildly cathartic.

D

Deleted member 2719

I know! Thought I'd get it sorted in 3 working days and now it's nearly 5 weeks later. Dial up might be a better solution!

We have recently got fibre through BT and it's already failed twice in a month. A major outage was the cause.

The big companies have it all their way, they have up to two working days to sort out, yes you get it we have NO service and we still pay for those missed hours.

Big companies w8nk IMO.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Any advice or a sanity check from follow NSC members in the know would be much appreciated.Thanks

My son has BT Fibre to the home in his block of flats, where BT is a captive provider. He's been lucky - his seems to work [sort of] okay, but at nothing like the speeds that were advertised when it was originally sold by BT to the landlord. However, many other tenants in his block have reported major downtime problems with BT Fibre. There is a dedicated line you can call for BT Fibre to the Home (0800 800150) - have you tried that? If you call the "regular" BT number which only deals with Infinity no-one there seems to know about Fibre-related problems and you'll usually get fobbed off.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
The same thing happened to us in our new build absolutely awful service. They kept on saying an engineer was booked then it would be cancelled (always someone else's fault) and as has been stated no one takes ownership. Took about 6 weeks

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Same thing is happening to the big area of new builds in Horsham. They can't even switch as only BT can supply them with broadband on that site apparently, but it takes anywhere between a week and a year to get it set up.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Same thing is happening to the big area of new builds in Horsham. They can't even switch as only BT can supply them with broadband on that site apparently, but it takes anywhere between a week and a year to get it set up.

Because none of the other companies are prepared to invest in their network UNLESS they are in the centre of a major city where they can turn around huge profits with little outlay. BT has problems but they are not helped by the way ofcom is working at present.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Because none of the other companies are prepared to invest in their network UNLESS they are in the centre of a major city where they can turn around huge profits with little outlay. BT has problems but they are not helped by the way ofcom is working at present.

Spot on. And if Ofcom order Openreach to be completely split from BT, the cost will run into hundreds of millions, will do nothing for customer service (save make it worse) and will reduce the amount of money available to invest in infrastructure upgrades.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
I had so many problems upgrading this summer that I ended up writing to my MP, the BT complaints team and Offcom. They eventually got it sorted and I got10 poindsa month off of my monthly bill for the length of the contract (Big deal!). OpenReach are abysmal. Emailing the MP was most effective.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Have virgin fibre cable to my house supposed to run at 200 mbps only runs at 100 mbps,
Lovely indian lady said my line is knackered and an engineer will fix it monday....lets see or I might as well only pay for the 100 mbps service.

Sorry no help to OP ,,,,, just wanted to post.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
When I was a BT engineer and these really bad problems arose, which was often, some customers would go right to the very top, apparently the chairmans e mail was easily available and his office would get onto the manager in that area who would send us out quick smart.
Don't know if this still happens though and a lot of my customers in the Ascot and Windsor areas were very rich and influential which must have helped there case as well.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I'm at my wits end with a direct fiber to home connection to my new build property. 5 weeks later and still not internet. I placed the order with BT. Three go live dates missed/failed and dozens of phone calls later and hours wasted on the phone to BT and it's still not working! No one seems to know what they're doing at BT! No urgency, no ownership, they just simply don't care. Openreach seems to fix something with the connection to home (a flashing green PON light on the open reach fiber terminal changed to solid green like it should be, then BT try to make order go live then this screws up the fiber connection causing the PON light on the terminal to flash again. The dreaded flashing green light! This has happened about 4 times now! I seem to be caught in a never ending loop (ground hog day) with no end in sight.

Any advice or a sanity check from follow NSC members in the know would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Not always as easy as it seems. Depends on whether the fibre network is in place. Some take years as the hoops required front the local HA are a nightmare.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Whilst we are on this thread my open reach box has been placed sometime ago halfway up a wall about as aesthetically pleasing as our pink away kit.

I've asked BT to move it - anyone able to move it privately??

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Blame Ofcom for that, the are depressing B's share price so in vestment in fibre is not going to happen. Sky/Talktalk don't want to know about spending money.

The only time they get interested is when BT have paid for all the work. Ofcom then open it up to allcomers at zero cost. It's like building a car and then being forced to hand it over to another rival for nil cost for them to then profit from it

johnjim

Sep 2, 2008
bexhill
Try,writing an old fashion letter addressed to the Chairman at the HQ in Newgate St London, send it recorded delivery. He won't actually read it, but it will become a chairmanship case and they used to act on these with urgency when I worked for them. Might work and you have nothing to loose but the postage.
Best of luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here