Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Love it. The line between feeling like death and regretting not giving it more 30 seconds after you finish. All in the mind, innit.

Adrenalin innit. Not quite all in the mind, but you can certainly learn ways of voluntarily releasing a bit of adrenalin and tapping into your reserves. For me, I force myself to train as hard as possible on my Saturday morning run by making an inexplicable link to the times I manage in my training efforts to that afternoon's result. E.g. If I don't manage all of these 5x1 mile efforts all in sub 6 mins, we're going to lose today.

PWA

European Tour 2023/24
Jul 23, 2011
West Sussex
Reading Half last week, Sidcup 10 yesterday.

Surrey Tempest 10 on Sunday (Top Gear track) - Any NSC there? or the other Cranleigh 15/21 race?

Well I'm 46, have 2 children (both at primary school) and am targeting a 1'35 half in 3 weeks' time. I only started running when I was 40 having done literally nothing for 20 years. And even now I only normally run 3 times a week.

I said the same about the marathon but managed a 3'27 at Brighton in 2012 ! Have, though, hung up my marathon boots forever as the training for that is a selfish pursuit the wife/kids/my body had enough of!

Fully understand that you will have your hands full for a few years but having kids doesn't mean everything need go out the window forever. When the kids are a bit older you should find you will have time for and still be of an age where PBs are still well within your grasp!

..... I am 46 years old too, however, will be running my 73rd full marathon in Barcelona this weekend. My fastest is only 3:29 (6 years ago), so it's all about quantity not quality!
However, I'm trying to beat Barcelona 2004 which I did in 3:43. Done two marathons this year already & the next 10 are booked. One a month is fine on the body!

PS Yes I am married with a family too

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?296958-BHA-v-QPR-Score-Predictor

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
..... I am 46 years old too, however, will be running my 73rd full marathon in Barcelona this weekend. My fastest is only 3:29 (6 years ago), so it's all about quantity not quality!
However, I'm trying to beat Barcelona 2004 which I did in 3:43. Done two marathons this year already & the next 10 are booked. One a month is fine on the body!

PS Yes I am married with a family too

Steve Foster My Lord, you are a nutter!

In all seriousness do you not worry what all that mileage, training and competing, is doing to your body long term, and that was one of the reasons why I now stick to shorter distances?

Steve Foster My Lord, you are a nutter!

In all seriousness do you not worry what all that mileage, training and competing, is doing to your body long term, and that was one of the reasons why I now stick to shorter distances?

I have been running for 17 years. I average between 35-40 miles every week, every year. I have one week off in the spring & one week off in the autumn (to give my body a rest).
When I was younger early 30s used to do lots of 10k - half marathon races; broke my marathon on my 40th birthday & now won't race less than a marathon. One marathon a month. All being well my 100th marathon will be on my 50th birthday in 3 years time. Did 11 marathons last year, 11 in 2012. Done two this year already.

I maybe lucky, but I have never, ever, been injured.

Indeed, I have never, pulled anything had a strain - just the occassional cold like everyone else!

I run 5 times a week & will do one race a month (minimum 10 miles) but not full pelt as part of the training.

The secret? Buy good shoes, rotate them & run off road as much as possible.

Marathon 73 in Barcelona on Sunday - looking forward!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I have been running for 17 years. I average between 35-40 miles every week, every year. I have one week off in the spring & one week off in the autumn (to give my body a rest).
When I was younger early 30s used to do lots of 10k - half marathon races; broke my marathon on my 40th birthday & now won't race less than a marathon. One marathon a month. All being well my 100th marathon will be on my 50th birthday in 3 years time. Did 11 marathons last year, 11 in 2012. Done two this year already.

Indeed, I have never, pulled anything had a strain - just the occassional cold like everyone else!

I run 5 times a week & will do one race a month (minimum 10 miles) but not full pelt as part of the training.

100 marathons in 10 years. An amazing feat and not to mention one very understanding family you have there!

100 marathons in 10 years. An amazing feat and not to mention one very understanding family you have there!

The days of leaving Mrs Foster in a field are long gone! My two marathons this year so far, Bromley & Heartbreak in New Forest (surprise surprise - did not join me).
However, running New York last November - she was over there like a shot!

It's our 25th wedding anniversary next year. Two weeks planned in California. There is a marathon in Hawaii at the same time, but she has put her foot down for this one. I can't imagine not running for two weeks :sick:

:albion2:

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Another injury I have had. A stretch is the calf stretch, I think. the standing on one foot angled on a step, stomach in, shoulders back and slowly putting weight on foot and feeling the stretch in the top of calf. If no luck you have to go to sports injury man or rest till it goes. Good luck it can last for weeks if not sorted.

Thanks, been doing these stretches and haven't run at all since last Wednesday, definitely feeling less sore. Went to the gym to cycle today and then just had a very slow 10 mins on treadmill and it felt ok, so thinking of getting back on the road this Wednesday before my last heavy weekend and taper. Undecided whether attempting a 20 miler might do more harm than good but really want to get it done!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Reading Half last week, Sidcup 10 yesterday.

Surrey Tempest 10 on Sunday (Top Gear track) - Any NSC there? or the other Cranleigh 15/21 race?

I am in Cranleigh doing the 21. I did Worthing 20 yesterday, a new PB 2.37. 15 miles all at 8 min mile then ramped it up for last 4. Its looking good for a new marathon PB in Brighton *crosses fingers*

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Thanks, I've enjoyed the experience... I'll have to see whether I fancy going through it again, it'll mostly depend on how things go with the new baby and how we cope as a family with having two children rather than one. At the age of 38, I'm a bit dubious as to how much I can improve if I'm not able to run another half in the short term.

The one thing I have learnt though is that I definitely have no intention of ever running a full marathon!

Well I'm 46, have 2 children (both at primary school) and am targeting a 1'35 half in 3 weeks' time. I only started running when I was 40 having done literally nothing for 20 years. And even now I only normally run 3 times a week.

I said the same about the marathon but managed a 3'27 at Brighton in 2012 ! Have, though, hung up my marathon boots forever as the training for that is a selfish pursuit the wife/kids/my body had enough of!

Fully understand that you will have your hands full for a few years but having kids doesn't mean everything need go out the window forever. When the kids are a bit older you should find you will have time for and still be of an age where PBs are still well within your grasp!

What I would say Curious Orange is I have PB'd at 5k 10k 1/2M & Marathon in the last 3 years (im 42) and I have been running for 15 years. Its all about training effectively & correctly. Thanks to Chimneys encouragement & Steve Foster I broke 4hrs for the marathon in 2012 after 16 attempts. This year I am looking to try and get as near to 3.30 as possible if not under. You can achieve anything you want. Best of luck my friend. :thumbsup:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

:bowdown: :bowdown:

DBL

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
What I would say Curious Orange is I have PB'd at 5k 10k 1/2M & Marathon in the last 3 years (im 42) and I have been running for 15 years. Its all about training effectively & correctly. Thanks to Chimneys encouragement & Steve Foster I broke 4hrs for the marathon in 2012 after 16 attempts. This year I am looking to try and get as near to 3.30 as possible if not under. You can achieve anything you want. Best of luck my friend. :thumbsup:

Wow!

I'm sure you can do it. I did my PB on my 40th birthday at 3:29. Am nearly 47, but last year ran Copenhagen in 3:32. I go for it twice a year. The other marathons are ramp up events. Most importantly,enjoy your running. I still do. Funny enough my PB was marathon 16 too.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I thought running would save me money by cutting down on the booze and late nights out, however I'm running up some impressive marathon overheads at present.

£100+ on two one hour physio sessions
£25 on a pro roller from Jog Shop
Money spent on gels, protein bars, protein supplements and Isotonic drinks
I'm also going to be using a personal trainer every Thursday purely to run through core and glute strengthening as well as other stretches etc...

I've been advised to cut down mileage and avoid long runs this week because of my IT band. I'm hoping by next Tuesday I can have one final long run 19 days before the marathon hopefully up to 21 miles by then.

Hopefully the taper down will give me some time to strengthen my IT band before the marathon as running the final 14 miles in pain is extremely unappealing.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I thought running would save me money by cutting down on the booze and late nights out, however I'm running up some impressive marathon overheads at present.

£100+ on two one hour physio sessions
£25 on a pro roller from Jog Shop
Money spent on gels, protein bars, protein supplements and Isotonic drinks
I'm also going to be using a personal trainer every Thursday purely to run through core and glute strengthening as well as other stretches etc...

I've been advised to cut down mileage and avoid long runs this week because of my IT band. I'm hoping by next Tuesday I can have one final long run 19 days before the marathon hopefully up to 21 miles by then.

Hopefully the taper down will give me some time to strengthen my IT band before the marathon as running the final 14 miles in pain is extremely unappealing.

You didn't go to Jesus at Corals then. :lolol: It would have been £35 for 40 minutes.

I agree with the expense of running. Next Tuesday I am spending £700 on taking the camper on the portsmouth Santander ferry to get 2 weeks warm weather preparation tapering in Spain.

Good luck to all with injuries. I have a chest infection and feel crap but off for the strength session this morning.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
You didn't go to Jesus at Corals then. :lolol: It would have been £35 for 40 minutes.

I agree with the expense of running. Next Tuesday I am spending £700 on taking the camper on the portsmouth Santander ferry to get 2 weeks warm weather preparation tapering in Spain.

Good luck to all with injuries. I have a chest infection and feel crap but off for the strength session this morning.

No I went to studio 57 near Conway street bus station. It was also recommended but the main reason I went was its proximity to Hove station as I could lengthen a lunch break whilst at work and get seen the next day.

I've got one more session at 5pm then straight to the Amex, then I'm going to use a personal trainer my wife uses his quite reasonable and ill just use that as a stretching hour.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck. sometimes you can't get in for 7-10 days at mine. he does not often see people twice though.

my neighbour had itb band problems last Monday. Saw a physio and managed her long run on Sunday no problems. hopefully you'll be back on track in a couple of days and we'll beat QPR 3-0.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Thanks for the encouragement, I certainly don't intend to hang up my running shoes - part of the reason for taking it up was because I wanted to be fitter when the baby arrives. I may look at entering another half next year once things have settled down a bit, but I'm looking forward to getting back to my lunchtime runs later this week once my ankle has stopped complaining about the 13.1 miles it did at the weekend!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Hi all

I've just run 13.1 miles in 2:13:33, and now fancy doing an official 1/2 marathon. I see it's the Hastings event in a week and a half, but having passed through the place quite a few times, I know it is very hilly, and my 18st bulk prefers flat courses. Just wondered if anyone has run the event and could tell me just how hilly it is?

Muchas gracias

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Hi all

I've just run 13.1 miles in 2:13:33, and now fancy doing an official 1/2 marathon. I see it's the Hastings event in a week and a half, but having passed through the place quite a few times, I know it is very hilly, and my 18st bulk prefers flat courses. Just wondered if anyone has run the event and could tell me just how hilly it is?

Muchas gracias

Don't know about Hastings, but Paddock Wood (just east of Tunbridge Wells) on Sunday 30th March is pancake flat and designed for PBs. Still a few places left I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here