Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club will be writing to those who purchased a ticket for Bournemouth [but didn't go]

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Didn't a Seagull Travel coach going to Huddersfield last year get stuck on the M23 and not make it to the match?

Yes joined the motorway just as an accident happened and spent a few hours going nowhere other then a circle around Sussex.

Given the result and performance not a bad outcome although painful watching on TV.

Seagull Travel dealt with it well by offering a free trip on any future game.

I would like to think that something like this and the M3 incident for the Southampton United game that the club would not remove points for that game as the non attendance was outside of the supporters control.

Similar to the Hull trains cancellation from a few seasons back.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
You are ill and can't go, fine. The club is not forcing you to go, they are simply saying they will not give you loyalty points. What's the problem ? Why do you think you should be rewarded when you haven't been to the game ?

I don't think I should be rewarded for not going to the game (none of this applies to me anyway, as I've attended all the away games that I've bought a ticket for). So if that's all that's being proposed, fine. In which case, why are they bothering to write to non attenders to the B'mouth cup game? Why not just not award the loyalty points?

I was more concerned about not going to the match being interpreted as an "abuse" of the loyalty points system, and triggering "punitive sanctions", as outlined in the Barber Declaration: "identifiable abuses of the loyalty scheme will result in loyalty point deductions and may also result in possible further sanctions (including a further deduction of points or an away ticket ban)"

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes joined the motorway just as an accident happened and spent a few hours going nowhere other then a circle around Sussex.

Given the result and performance not a bad outcome although painful watching on TV.

Seagull Travel dealt with it well by offering a free trip on any future game.

I would like to think that something like this and the M3 incident for the Southampton United game that the club would not remove points for that game as the non attendance was outside of the supporters control.

Similar to the Hull trains cancellation from a few seasons back.

The accident happened before 12. The Supporters club coach and Blues away knew about it before setting off at 1pm, so both diverted to the A24 at Bolney, via Cowfold, and got to the M25 that way.

I also saw a friend mentioning it on Facebook, who was on a Seagulls Travel coach, and told him. He told the driver, but the driver ignored it. Three hours later, the coach returned to Brighton, not having gone anywhere.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think I should be rewarded for not going to the game (none of this applies to me anyway, as I've attended all the away games that I've bought a ticket for). So if that's all that's being proposed, fine. In which case, why are they bothering to write to non attenders to the B'mouth cup game? Why not just not award the loyalty points?

I was more concerned about not going to the match being interpreted as an "abuse" of the loyalty points system, and triggering "punitive sanctions", as outlined in the Barber Declaration: "identifiable abuses of the loyalty scheme will result in loyalty point deductions and may also result in possible further sanctions (including a further deduction of points or an away ticket ban)"

The club have checked other purchases and games as well as the Bournemouth game. There are a handful who have done this more than once.
The letter is a warning to all that this will be dealt with in future.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How on earth can club be suprised with what happened. If tickets had been £1 even more would have done it. There was a system in place that said buy a ticket and you will get loyalty points. If it increased the chances of a genuine supporter been able to go to there chosen away games who can blame them. They have now rightly put in place only get points if attend game. I didnt buy a ticket but those that did and didnt go, just used system club put in place that was always going to deprive some that wanted to go. All that was needed was club saying we messed up and now changing. Not heavy handed notices or contact with people that didnt go.
Barbers wording so often over the top. I have only ever contacted him once to pass some information on to him. Whilst didnt need a reply would understand if received a "Thank you for letting us know" Instead received a whole page reply going on and on. I think he just likes writing/emailing

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
How on earth can club be suprised with what happened. If tickets had been £1 even more would have done it. There was a system in place that said buy a ticket and you will get loyalty points. If it increased the chances of a genuine supporter been able to go to there chosen away games who can blame them. They have now rightly put in place only get points if attend game. I didnt buy a ticket but those that did and didnt go, just used system club put in place that was always going to deprive some that wanted to go. All that was needed was club saying we messed up and now changing. Not heavy handed notices or contact with people that didnt go.
Barbers wording so often over the top. I have only ever contacted him once to pass some information on to him. Whilst didnt need a reply would understand if received a "Thank you for letting us know" Instead received a whole page reply going on and on. I think he just likes writing/emailing

Wrong the emails are templates he cuts and pastes appropriate to whatever the answer is he wants to give.

It is not hard to do you keep them in your drafts box, we have a shed load of people that do this at work and to be fair it is pretty tedious

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's the club's fault and Tony's dysfunctional system is the reason for fans' ill-use and exploitation of it at fellow fans expense. Heard it all.

Judging by some of the outrage on here, it's clear we might have identified a few harvesters.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is an utterly ludicrous post. Barber's mismanagement of tickets and the loyalty system has created the situation. That his fix is to try and hard ball loyal, paying customers (and let's be clear, you have to have been loyal for a long time to have enough points to get away tickets this year) really is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

What he should spend his time doing, seeing as its his job and all, is create a system which is fair and allows ALL season ticket holders to get first dibs on all away games, and then sell the remaining tickets afterwards. Unfortunately he's created a totally convoluted system that demands that loyal, paying customers take advantage in order to get to the games they really want to get to.

And the worst thing about it is that by creating such a stupid system, he's stopped other loyal, paying fans that could have gone to such games from actually going. So no, you silly silly person, the buck doesn't stop with fans, it stops with him.

The slight flaw with your "solution" is that 22,000 doesn't divide into 3,000.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
I can't recall giving AFC Bournemouth my explicit consent to share my data (if my ticket was scanned upon entrance and when) with a third party (Brighton & Hove Albion FC). Did anyone else?

From their website >>> "We do not sell, rent, or otherwise provide personally identifiable information to third-parties without your consent, "

How is a ticket number your data? You didn't generate it or create it.

There have been a number of Data Protection references, the data that Bournemouth have by itself cannot be used to identify anything about a person. I'm surprised that you keep raising this in light of you professing in a previous post of being in this field.

The ticket number is a key, the lock is behind another lock and key in the BHA database. You have given consent for BHA to use the data you provided within the T&Cs that is all that is happening.

The DP Act even the more stringent 2018 version is to protect the individual from being identifiable, I fail to see how a list of ticket numbers can possibly be used by anyone for this purpose.

Last edited:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Because, it's against the law for a start.

Of course a blind eye has always been turned to this in the past - it's incredibly difficult to police. Then came CarabaoCupGate.

More like jcl’s moaning cause they can’t get a ticket after 1 years seasons ticket tossers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Surely the scenario you describe will be rare by its very nature. Identifiable abuses will be part of a pattern and it seems perfectly reasonable for the club to write to the 50 % of ticket buyers that didn't turn up for the cup game to tell them that their card is marked. I would also expect their points for that night to be removed at the very least.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Following the abuse by some supporters of Brighton & Hove Albion's loyalty point scheme at the Carabao Cup match with AFC Bournemouth, the following changes to the scheme were agreed at yesterday’s club board meeting:

• the club now reserve the right to reconcile attendance data from host clubs with away match tickets sold; and loyalty points may only be awarded once this process is complete;
  • where attendance data isn’t available from host clubs, the club reserves the right to use other pre and post-turnstile methods to measure and record supporter attendance at matches against tickets sold;
  • identifiable abuses of the loyalty scheme will result in loyalty point deductions and may also result in possible further sanctions (including a further deduction of points or an away ticket ban);
  • where away match tickets are purchased and passed on for use by other fans, not eligible for the tickets, supporters risk punitive sanctions including loyalty point reductions and an away ticket ban.

The above changes will be implemented with immediate effect.

Source >>> https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2017/september/loyalty-scheme-update/

So long as data privacy/confidentiality laws aren't broken then fair enough. I know that sounds a bit precious but I don't want clubs sharing all my contact details, D.O.B and other forms of ID.

Could we even - conceivably - have a loyalty point opt-out alternative for those who don't give a damn about the scheme?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here