Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Nelson/Harveys Pubs

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Good people of NSC

I was in the Lord Nelson last night, and am not a regular there by any means. Anyway, at 9.50 the gadgee rings his bell for last orders, to the utter bemusement to quite a few of us in the front bar.

When questioned, he tells us that Harveys pubs all shut at 10.00 on Sunday nights, as this appears to be some sort of rule imposed by the brewery.

I don't know many (any) other Harveys boozers but reckon some of you may know - is this true or was the barman making it up so he could slope off a bit early?

With thanks.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It certainly didn't use to before they did it up, though think they gave the old landlord the boot?

theboybilly

I know of a couple of pubs (and especially the Legion) in Shoreham that shut up shop if there aren't many in. I've given up trying to rush back to squeeze a couple in before last orders after a night game only to be presented with a closed pub. If you pay staff for a shift why not stay open, not pass up on some much-needed trade?. I don't recall this happening 10-20 years ago.

Are you sure it was actually CLOSING time?

In the good old days, the Ram at Firle was run by Mary Hufflett, whose family had held the licence since God was a boy. One year, Lewes District Council decided that all pubs in the district would stay open during the summer months until 11.00pm. Only one person objected to this ... Mary Hufflett. Her objection was over-ruled. But this didn't stop her ringing a bell at 10.20 and shouting out the magic words "It's almost half-past-ten". A surprising number of customers simply heard this shout and quietly went home.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When questioned, he tells us that Harveys pubs all shut at 10.00 on Sunday nights, as this appears to be some sort of rule imposed by the brewery.

as i was in the Grenadier in Hailsham way past 10pm, id say thats horse crap. cant really see how the brewry can impose such a rule on tenents anyway. that said do see pubs shutting early when its quiet these days.

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
It certainly didn't use to before they did it up, though think they gave the old landlord the boot?

Thanks. It does seem odd to have this rule and interesting that it was not imposed before. Even stranger on a Sunday preceding a bank holiday when, in the old days, pubs used to be able to stay open for an extra half an hour.

I don't know if the landlord has changed. I presume that, if this rule exists, it must be applicable to all Harveys pubs, so was wondering if this is the case in Lewes where there must a good few tied to/ Harveys?

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing

In the good old days, the Ram at Firle was run by Mary Hufflett, whose family had held the licence since God was a boy. One year, Lewes District Council decided that all pubs in the district would stay open during the summer months until 11.00pm. Only one person objected to this ... Mary Hufflett. Her objection was over-ruled. But this didn't stop her ringing a bell at 10.20 and shouting out the magic words "It's almost half-past-ten". A surprising number of customers simply heard this shout and quietly went home.

Yes, definitely called time at 10, and had some drinking up time after that. Dunno what time they actually threw people out as we scarpered up to the Albert for one more.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Good people of NSC

I was in the Lord Nelson last night, and am not a regular there by any means. Anyway, at 9.50 the gadgee rings his bell for last orders, to the utter bemusement to quite a few of us in the front bar.

I don't know many (any) other Harveys boozers but reckon some of you may know - is this true or was the barman making it up so he could slope off a bit early?

With thanks.

The Mitre in Baker Street used to shut at 10.30 Sundays, haven't been there for a while. Think the Rights of Man in Lewes shuts at 10.30 too

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

Surely if she wanted to close then she could? The council just allowing a later opening if you desire

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I'm 99% sure this is utter rot, unless there's been a policy change recently. But don't landlords have the right to shut up shop whenever they want too (may be different in managed pubs though?).

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Problem with chain pubs is that staff don't give a crap if they close early or whatever.
As long as their license says they can serve to s certain time they can. Next time ask to see it,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Their website shows the opening hours and says it closes at 10pm on a Sunday so OP is correct.

Seems odd to close so early though on a Bank Holiday weekend.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Not in those days. We had proper regulation and none of the laissez faire nonsense that we now take for granted.

If Britain had an American style constitution this would be amendment number 1. It's every British person's God given right to buy a pint up until 11pm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here