Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Some impressive efforts on here particularly [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] attempting a half marathon at 5k pace!

Thanks, I hadn't thought of it like that before... and it did make me chortle!

Back to Stoke Park for parkrun today, and despite a stiff wind in my face for part of the course and the remenants of my cold bothering me on lap 2 (I coughed all the way home afterwards) I managed my first sub-20 minute finish of the year :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Slight improvement for me today, 21.08 at Hove Prom, 30s better than anything for more than 6 months and 3rd in age cat. Tantalisingly close to AG 70%.......

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Went out yesterday for a 20 mile run, but only managed 17 miles (2 hrs 47 mins) before my calf got too painful. Hopefully the rest between now and the Brighton marathon will do it good. Don't think it is anything serious but it is still painful walking around today.

Does anyone know if the Brighton Marathon App is out yet?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Secured my Norwich ticket today. Anyone else staying over? I'm considering the Norwich Parkrun for a return. Looking at the results it seems very competitive and has over 500 runners. Slowest 50 minutes. I'll be tucking in at the back nursing a slight hangover and working on speed walking and very gentle heel strike plodding.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Went out yesterday for a 20 mile run, but only managed 17 miles (2 hrs 47 mins) before my calf got too painful. Hopefully the rest between now and the Brighton marathon will do it good. Don't think it is anything serious but it is still painful walking around today.

Does anyone know if the Brighton Marathon App is out yet?

They said the app should be out end of March

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Back from a 4 week international break in Portugal. No running but a lot of hills and mountains to walk up. Some impressive efforts on here particularly [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] attempting a half marathon at 5k pace!
Mystery Achilles pain still there. Sore for 10 minutes after waking until warmed up and sore after walking for a few hours. Rheumatoid arthritis moved to outside of big toes and on the way out but may be link to Achilles. Just cycling and walking for the foreseeable future.
[MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=152]Charlies Shinpad[/MENTION] need to get some fingers working their legs. Good luck with that.

A weekend of rest (only running was an easy parkrun with a mate) resulted in a mainly pain-free 10 miles this morning (few knee twinges at the start). Lovely start to the week and I took a shot to inspire (or something!) all you Brighton Marathon runners... Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 10.08.53.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A weekend of rest (only running was an easy parkrun with a mate) resulted in a mainly pain-free 10 miles this morning (few knee twinges at the start). Lovely start to the week and I took a shot to inspire (or something!) all you Brighton Marathon runners... View attachment 83158

That's my regular marathon walking spot!
I think you should have your iliotibial band painfully assessed. Try the seated pigeon stretch (google it) this will assess whether it is relaxed or tight.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That's my regular marathon walking spot!
I think you should have your iliotibial band painfully assessed. Try the seated pigeon stretch (google it) this will assess whether it is relaxed or tight.

Where I took the photo (far end of Shoreham Beach; Old Fort car park) or the power station?

Yes, I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow. My overall flexibility is pretty shocking, so I'm guessing it is tight...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Where I took the photo (far end of Shoreham Beach; Old Fort car park) or the power station?

Yes, I'm going to make an appointment tomorrow. My overall flexibility is pretty shocking, so I'm guessing it is tight...

Round the back of the power station where you momentarily lose the crowd and get some shade.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Spot in. Lovely moment of peace and tranquility whilst you're inevitably feeling shite away from the 'supportive' mobs [emoji23][emoji23]

There was a band/disco playing there for the early marathons- felt like jumping in the harbour to end the marathon pain!!

Do they still play there?

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
So on the 19th March I ran the Limassol marathon (marathon number 5). It was a glorious sunny day with a 7am start time due to the warm weather. They put on free buses along the seafront to get everyone to the start line, and our hotel kindly opened up the breakfast room at 5am so you get tea/coffee and collect pre-ordered sandwiches. I was able to make my usual porridge with the hot water for the tea. It was a great day, the marathon starting just before the half marathon and then the 10k runners. Just 354 runners for the marathon, quite a few British runners, got talking to a few people from Wales and Northern Ireland. Ran quite a way with a couple of Ealing Eagles. They had drinks stations at regular intervals, many with cold sponges waiting. The marathon route was different to the other 2 so at the 6 mile point I saw my 2 mates doing the 10k and then further on I saw my other 2 mates doing the half marathon. The day got warmer but I have to say I felt OK most of the way round. There was a double back loop at 32k which was a little dispirating but I kept going. A guy from Austria kept me going for a while as we swapped stories. I dropped my pace slightly afer 10 miles as I knew the heat was having an impact. I crossed the finish line in 4.28.36 so a PB by just under 13 minutes. (252/354)

https://www.strava.com/activities/909521377

The strava time removed my stopping for a quick wee stop, so shows me 31 seconds quicker.

It was nice post-race to hit the local restaurants to refuel and then back at the hotel used the freezing swimming pool as an ice bath. Refueled properly in the evening with a massive meat meze and a few beers and cocktails. So now its onwards and upwards to the Brighton marathon a week on Sunday. As it will possibly be cooler and I am feeling quietly confident I am going to try and go with the 4.15 pacer. Eeeeekkk!

Mark
Limassol.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
There was a band/disco playing there for the early marathons- felt like jumping in the harbour to end the marathon pain!!

I seem to remember music there last year. It's got a lot busier there over the years.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Yes. Aren't they are one of Brighton 6th form colleges or even Brighton College? They run the drinks and gels as well.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ran 17.5 Sunday and really enjoyed it. No regrets about taking a year off from marathons but I think I've got at least one more in me, so I intend to run one in 2018.

Brighton is always an option but would be interested in another UK or European one. Any recommendations?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ran 17.5 Sunday and really enjoyed it. No regrets about taking a year off from marathons but I think I've got at least one more in me, so I intend to run one in 2018.

Brighton is always an option but would be interested in another UK or European one. Any recommendations?

Did Seville last month. Fantastic city for a long weekend break and a great race too. Very fast, flat course on closed roads, weather likely to be ideal, well organised. Highly recommended.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Made an appointment with Jesus, but because he's away for a bit soon, he's booked up until 10th April! From the feedback on here, I figured it's worth waiting for and the general consensus (through talking to the bootcamp guys this morning) is that I need to stretch more, so that's something to keep me occupied.

Might have to get me one of these foam rollers...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here