Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dale Stephens - Press Conference

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'm sure any PL team after him will be able to pay a more than us. Burnley (like ourselves) seem to have a controlled salary limit so why would he go there when say a Watford or a Stoke would pay him a lot more.

However, It could be a case of how much his signing on bonus is worth. That might be a way of us keeping him by offering him £5m up front or some such ludicrous incentive.

One big reason why Burnley appeals, is because they are a local side. He comes from Bolton, but Burnley are only just up the road..

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
One big reason why Burnley appeals, is because they are a local side. He comes from Bolton, but Burnley are only just up the road..

I don't think he gives two shits geographically speaking, he'd just as likely go to Bournemouth if they are interested and they pay.

Do not understand why fans and Naylor keep bringing up the north, he is settled here and his immediate family are settled here. Wouldn't surprise me if he lives in or around London after he retires.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Bit of a non story really...

To be fair to Stephens I think he has been brilliant in his attitude and performances this year - many a footballer would have sulked and refused to play or not been 100% committed. If we go up we will be in strong position to offer him a decent contract, we will then find out where he wants to live and play which will be influenced by his family and other factors. If he goes then good luck to him we will have the cash to buy and adequate replacement and whatever happens the sun will rise in the morning.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bit of a non story really...

To be fair to Stephens I think he has been brilliant in his attitude and performances this year - many a footballer would have sulked and refused to play or not been 100% committed. If we go up we will be in strong position to offer him a decent contract, we will then find out where he wants to live and play which will be influenced by his family and other factors. If he goes then good luck to him we will have the cash to buy and adequate replacement and whatever happens the sun will rise in the morning.

Let's not go over the top here.
Stephen's is playing for next years contact.
It'll be the biggest contract he'll ever sign, all he's doing now is attempting to guarantee the most money possible.

Unsurprisingly TB has played a blinder.
(From the outside looking in) He appears to have handled the Summer brilliantly, even making Burnley out to be the 'bad guys'.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Wow.....standing out like a beacon from that article in today's Argus, I didn't realise Bloom has pumped £250 million of his own money into the club!! Bournemouth have been criticised for buying promotion but has their Russian billionaire given Howe that much to spend on getting TWO promotions?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow.....standing out like a beacon from that article in today's Argus, I didn't realise Bloom has pumped £250 million of his own money into the club!! Bournemouth have been criticised for buying promotion but has their Russian billionaire given Howe that much to spend on getting TWO promotions?
Their Russian billionaire, didn't finance a 30,000 seat state of the art stadium, or a 15 pitch training facility which rivals Man City as the best in the country.

Promotion hasn't been bought, but the future of the club has.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Not really a fair comparison, a huge chunk of the 250 million relates to the stadium and training complex. That amount needs to be deducted from the 250 million and then the figure youre left with be compared with the amount the Bournemouth owner has spent as im fairly sure he hasnt spent much on infrastructure

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

No. But then, Tony Bloom hasn't given that much to his managers to spend - nothing like.

The £250m is on building the stadium, the infrastructure, the training ground, managing the debts and building the club and so on.

And even though your question about AFCB has no relevance here, we've also stayed within FFP.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Bournemouth haven't built a new stadium and class A academy, in fact they don't own their stadium, which is where most of the money has gone.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

I will not repeat where the finance has been spent, obviously you were not aware/did not research re 250M.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

You're late to the party aren't you? Still, at least you can join up with the ignorance brigade, who believe we have amassed a multi-million pound squad on millions per week and are currently failing FFP. The first season was Ronaldo, Messi in the second, we're saving up the pennies for Neymar now.

Or perhaps the majority of that money was spent replacing something that the crooked previous owners took away, our stadium. That plus one of the best training grounds and academies in europe.

Carry on thinking we're buying promotion though, seems to fit the bill for most agendas.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Naylor just won't give it a rest will he.

Not doing the situation or the club any favours at all, but then he rarely does.

No. But then, Tony Bloom hasn't given that much to his managers to spend - nothing like.

The £250m is on building the stadium, the infrastructure, the training ground, managing the debts and building the club and so on.

And even though your question about AFCB has no relevance here, we've also stayed within FFP.

Both spot on :thumbsup:

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

I think you will find that approx £150 million will be on infrastructure new stadium and training facility. The rest went on CMS!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here