Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ever Blanked Someone Famous?

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
In a former job, my boss was a big Millwall fan and had three tickets which he used for corporate entertainment (yes, I know!). I occasionally went along with my son who was about 6 years old at the time.

Before one match we were in the restaurant and Dennis Wise, who was playing for Millwall but was injured at the time, was on the next table. I tried to encourage my son to go and get his autograph but he refused so I tried again explaining that he was quite famous and had played for England. My son then said in a very loud voice "I know who he is, I just don't want his autograph!"

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I'm currently working in a semi famous guys house, been there a couple of weeks and not acknowledged his fame , can't work out if this bugging him or not yet......

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm currently working in a semi famous guys house, been there a couple of weeks and not acknowledged his fame , can't work out if this bugging him or not yet......

Oh it's bugging him alright.
I did the same with Russ Abbott in the tea hut on the 9th at Wentworth, he was trying his hardest to make me understand who he was but I was having none of it.
He even said "this is where they got me for This Is Your Life"
A lovely bloke but when they are at there most famous most don't want to know, but when their star has fallen they are begging for recognition.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Quite the reverse. I am just bedding down for the night at Morston Hall, the hotel/restaurant of the demi-famous chef Galton Blackiston. He did a quick round of the tables after tonight's (monumental) dinner and I swear Mrs H would have sold one of MY lungs for a few minutes more small talk.

He's a nice guy though so what's a lung here or there?

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
I sat beside one of the judges ( the old one, Les?) off strictly come dancing on BA flight from Glasgow a few years ago, I had no idea who he was. My daughter (aged 9 at the time) tries to tell me discretely who he is in the way only a nine year can by whispering so loud I felt the whole plane could hear. I then pretended not to know who he was. Glad I did because he was so obnoxious to the flight crew over free drink ( everyone heard him) and the tutted the whole flight as family across the isle had a crying baby, when plane landed he barged past people to get off ( from row 9ish). Everyone got off the plane talking about how rude he was. Never watched the programme again.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Horace Panter of the Specials fame was sitting in front of me on my train home from Euston the other day with his wife. Didn't really know what to say to him so decided to leave them in peace.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Seen a few minor celebrities over the years however always remember seeing Ashley Cole in a club in London and as i was walking out of the toilet he was walking in and i shoulder barged him into an unsuspecting group.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I was at a corporate a few years ago with Geoff Hurst. We had a team picture with him and I was stood next to him. One of the girls got down on her knees and I said "whilst you're down there". The look Geoff gave me chilled me to the bone. It basically said "I won the world cup, and you're making pathetic BJ jobs in front of me".

So I totally disgraced myself in front of hat trick world cup winning hero Geofff Hurst. I am a disgrace. I still shudder thinking about that moment.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

When you say semi famous, what are we talking about here?

Is it "used to be famous" like er Sally Gunnell or Les Denis

or is famous, but not very famous, like someone off of Big Brother who no one has heard of?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Quite the reverse. I am just bedding down for the night at Morston Hall, the hotel/restaurant of the demi-famous chef Galton Blackiston. He did a quick round of the tables after tonight's (monumental) dinner and I swear Mrs H would have sold one of MY lungs for a few minutes more small talk.

He's a nice guy though so what's a lung here or there?

Similar here - recently was at one of Raymond Blancs restaurants and he was coming around having a chat. I wasn't overly bothered. Not in a rude way but me and the guy would probably have nothing in common and after 'the meal was great (it should be for the cost) I doubt I would have much to say to him so instead I sat back with a friend and had a pint watching people practically fighting over him just for a few minutes discussion about the fish.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
When you say semi famous, what are we talking about here?

Is it "used to be famous" like er Sally Gunnell or Les Denis

or is famous, but not very famous, like someone off of Big Brother who no one has heard of?

One of the actors in the sitcom Benidorm, (not Johnny Vegas), seems a genuinely nice bloke, but just can't see the point in bringing it up in conversation

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Does "blanking" someone include just ignoring them? Have sat next to both Jeremy Paxman and Sandi Toksvig on the tube in London, but didn't bother either of them.

Jul 7, 2003
Does "blanking" someone include just ignoring them? Have sat next to both Jeremy Paxman and Sandi Toksvig on the tube in London, but didn't bother either of them.

I sat opposite Tim Vine on the tube a while back. Whilst I am a fan of his work, he was minding his own business so I didn't see why I shouldn't leave him in peace.

Likewise, I often see Gwyneth Powell (aka Mrs McCluskey from Grange Hill or more recently, Greg Davies' mum in Man Down) in Waitrose in Burgess Hill but have never had the urge to speak to her.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Pamela Anderson

I refer to my FaceBook post on the subject - "This morning I stood in dog sh*te, not really an uncommon occurrence in Paris where most pavements provide the foot traveller with the daily challenge of avoiding piles of carelessly discarded doggy bottom sausages. What made this morning's episode so memorable is that I did it in front of Pamela Anderson (yep the real Pamela Anderson). What made things worse is that the cack that worked its way into the tread of my size 9s had in fact only recently departed Gaspode's backside and I was trying to pick it up. This act of incompetence didn't even come about because I was star struck (sorry Pamela I didn't recognise you) I'm simply a bit of a spanner!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here