Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion finances review

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
the mean estimated salary for an Albion player is in the region of £483,000 per annum.

This is the bit I struggle with. I think it's fair to say a player at a mid-table Championship club isn't a player at the top end of the game but they can earn life-changing amounts. No wonder clubs are heavily in debt.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
An excellent read on a Sunday teatime

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This is the bit I struggle with. I think it's fair to say a player at a mid-table Championship club isn't a player at the top end of the game but they can earn life-changing amounts.

You only have to look at the cars driven by young players to realise their earning power. Someone like Lewis Dunk is, what, 21, 22 years old (?), isn't even a first team regular, but drives round in a pimped up Range Rover Sport with a personalised number plate. Most guys his age couldn't even afford the insurance on one of those, let alone the car.

It's not what the top players earn that blows my mind, but what the average Joes of the game take home.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You only have to look at the cars driven by young players to realise their earning power. Someone like Lewis Dunk is, what, 21, 22 years old (?), isn't even a first team regular, but drives round in a pimped up Range Rover Sport with a personalised number plate. Most guys his age couldn't even afford the insurance on one of those, let alone the car.

It's not what the top players earn that blows my mind, but what the average Joes of the game take home.

Totally agree with this post especially the last sentence.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

What we need is someone catching him doing 32mph in a 30 zone!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Quite. There is an argument for players that put bums on seats. But most of them are fairly interchangeable.

When they talk about football salaries coming down slightly year on year, it's these Joe Average players who are the ones taking the hit (if you can call dropping from £12k a week to £11k per week a "hit").

The top performers' salaries will continue to rise as they're a precious commodity

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When they talk about football salaries coming down slightly year on year, it's these Joe Average players who are the ones taking the hit (if you can call dropping from £12k a week to £11k per week a "hit").

The top performers' salaries will continue to rise as they're a precious commodity

Jimmy Bullard had one good season and Hull paid him £50,000 a week as a result, Lucas Neill (who?) was the same and West Ham paid him £72,000 a week after they signed him from Blackburn.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jimmy Bullard had one good season and Hull paid him £50,000 a week as a result, Lucas Neill (who?) was the same and West Ham paid him £72,000 a week after they signed him from Blackburn.

And how could we forget 'Arry's mate, John Utaka at Pompey, earning upwards of £70k per week :lolol:

francisg1

Montone English
Jul 26, 2004
Cardiff
Fantastic article, learnt a lot and confirmed what I've always thought about where we are, our ambition and the delusional expectations of some fans of the club. Would love to know the long term strategy of Tony Bloom and those at the top of the club - they must have a vision of how to turn the Albion somewhere approaching break even or profitable, but it is hard to see exactly how you do that with a (successful) football club currently.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes indeed with the salary personally negotiated by 'Arry' and sanctioned by him..................Or maybe that was left to the Chief Exec??

Sanctioned by the chief exec who was under Harry's spell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here