Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ian Paisley Has Died

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Best recruiting sergeant the IRA ever had! Ten seconds listening to him ranting and you were ready to join the other side, whoever they were!

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Saw him browsing outside Camilla's bookshop in Eastbourne once. He used to come and stay with Ian Gow I believe.

I will remember him for earnestly holding up a bit of A4 paper when the Pope addressed the European parliament, accusing John Paul II of being the antichrist. He got into a bit of a scuffle as I recall.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
He's got a church in Lewes, which his son preaches at fairly regularly. There are only half a dozen or so of their churches in the UK - one wonders if it was all the "No Popery" signs hanging up on Nov 5th that attracted them to Lewes?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Very magnanimous message from Martin McGuinness:

[tweet]510395847298023424[/tweet]

Can't say I take any joy from the death of Rev Ian Paisley. When McGuinness goes, on the other hand, I'll be grinning like a w*nking Jap for months afterwards.

I can't say I agree. He was an awful bigot for decades, he opposed all manner of peace initiatives for years, and he got into bed with some fairly shady groups when he was younger. It's all very well pointing out he didn't kill anybody, but I wonder whether that would ever have been the case had he not had an in-built unionist majority and all the trappings of power that the terrorists on the other side didn't have.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Whilst I would never take pleasure from anybody's passing I always thought he was one of the most bigoted people on the planet - regardless of which side of the argument he was on!

The peace process could have happened so much sooner without this man and others like him.
Clueless, the peace process happened because PIRA realised they could never win militarily.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can't say I agree. He was an awful bigot for decades, he opposed all manner of peace initiatives for years, and he got into bed with some fairly shady groups when he was younger. It's all very well pointing out he didn't kill anybody, but I wonder whether that would ever have been the case had he not had an in-built unionist majority and all the trappings of power that the terrorists on the other side didn't have.
He had reason to .

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Right wing bigots seem to believe his death means they have a need to wish for a non right wingers death. Funny, but, totally expected.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
What reason did he have to oppose the Good Friday Agreement of 1998, beyond the sort of pure bigotry that manifested itself in screaming at the POPE as "the anti-Christ" in the European Parliament building?
Because the Irish government wouldn't take out their constitutional clause that laid claim to northern Ireland for starters

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Because the Irish government wouldn't take out their constitutional clause that laid claim to northern Ireland for starters

As part of the Agreement, the British parliament repealed the Government of Ireland Act 1920 (which had established Northern Ireland and partitioned Ireland) and the People of Ireland amended Articles 2 and 3 of the Constitution of Ireland, which asserted a territorial claim over Northern Ireland.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here