Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You seem to have totally missed the fact May said she wants to remain a member. Membership is quite different to a co-operation agreement. I’m not aware the US are members.

No she didnt, she was quite specific about new comprehensive arrangements as a third country,ie outside of membership. If you are still members, then you automatically receive all the benefits of membership, there would be no need to discuss new arrangements.

"So it is in all our interests to find ways to protect the capabilities which underpin this co-operation when the UK becomes a European country outside the EU but in a new partnership with it.
To make this happen will require real political will on both sides.
I recognise there is no existing security agreement between the EU and a third country that captures the full depth and breadth of our existing relationship.
But there is precedent for comprehensive, strategic relationships between the EU and third countries in other fields, such as trade. And there is no legal or operational reason why such an agreement could not be reached in the area of internal security."

Im surprised you didnt bother to check her security speech, its available to view in full from the gov website
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/pm-speech-at-munich-security-conference-17-february-2018

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
There is one MEP for every 880,000 British voters, The EU average is one MEP for 486,000 voters. Also, our MEPs don't vote as a block their minimal influence is further diminished as they are spread out amongst numerous political groupings. A reminder that my initial point was having the democratic accountability to remove our government, equating this power to voting for a few MEP's is laughable.

It is self-evident that, all things being equal, the larger the electorate the smaller the influence of the individual voter. What stops this being an argument in favour of small countries (Wessex anyone?) is that things are rarely equal.

If over-centralisation is avoided and power heavily devolved, a large democracy can represent its citizens as well as a small one. Better in some cases - the USA is far more decentralised than, say, the UK with the result that the man on the Des Moines omnibus has more influence over the practical legislation that affects his day to day life than his opposite number on the Clapham one. The politicians who most tailor his days are certainly more accountable than the remote figures of over-centralised Britain.

The EU is decentralised to the point where its component parts - the nation states - have the theoretical power to declare war on each other. If this devolution is preserved and strengthened, the citizens of Europe can combine all the benefits of ‘small democracy’ with the advantages of being members of a large and powerful economic and political unit.

I suggest that it is idle to simply compare numbers in the way you have done.

The original European referendum revolved around the concept of ‘shared sovereignty’ to the extent that the Telegraph said at the time that it was drowning out other issues. Personally I have no problem with diluting part of my influence in this way providing that significant amounts of practical power is held at local level - a level more local than the UK has achieved in the past, and certainly more local than the politicians of Brexit will want in the future.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You are confusing putting someone on ignore with not being held to account each time you post something rubbish on this thread :lolol:

You said I was a liar yet you accused me of being a liar by lying yourself ! You clearly suffer from ODD and worryingly have access to a keyboard. Enjoy the solitude ahead.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So would I. Apart from “getting our county back” I have heard **** all for the Brexiteers. To be fair you have spoken about free trade deals with non-EU nations but when you’ve got a shit load of free trade already in place with the biggest block in the world I cannot see any real benefit.

We have free trade with 70% of the world through the EU already, and with the US they do double the trade with us that we do with them, what's not to like? If we want to do more trade with the rest of the world we need to offer the rest of the world things they want to buy, simple

The Ireland issue cannot be solved. Going forward they can call it a custom arrangement whatever....but basically we need to stay in the customs union unless we want to do huge damage to the economy and jobs, this isn't what the public voted for.

Brextremists need to start getting realistic or they may end up with no Brexit at all

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
More Brexit bad news as “Restaurant closures in UK jumped by a fifth to almost 1,000 last year”. If the cold doesn’t get you starvation will. Britain, the Ethiopia of Europe.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
You notice how its only the limp-wristed remainers pretending to ignore people in order to retreat to their echo chamber bubble.
Says quite a lot about their whole arrogant remain mindset when they can no longer justify their arguments.

Personally I am ignoring this thread for the most part because it is the same tedious bigoted people going round in circles all the time....... particularly on the leave side. But that is just a symptom of how divided the country is. At least Boris made some sort of effort last week to reach out...... but what a feeble and laughable effort.

My remain convictions are as strong as they have ever been and have, if anything, been strengthened significantly by the happenings of recent weeks and months. Itis the likes of Farage, Rees-Mogg and Johnson who are arrogant.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You said I was a liar yet you accused me of being a liar by lying yourself ! You clearly suffer from ODD and worryingly have access to a keyboard. Enjoy the solitude ahead.

I have noticed that many of the usual suspects harangue, bully and try to undermine some posters views not by argument but by personal insults the usual 'grammar', 'spelling', 'thickos' 'retard' etc. they play the man rather than the ball, well as is clear it was never going to work with me, I see the ignore button is a surrender button :lolol:

[MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] March 2017: Would it be an idea to block the retards from this thread and give them their own thread hmmmmm very cool.

How did you honestly think I would reply to this post, hasn't it occurred to you that I will quite reasonably again call you out and repost your previous posts, posts that you have denied ever posting.

The only posts I have attributed to you are the following utterly absurd comments of how the UK economy was performing and you have said you didn't say them, nothing too damning just silly typical posts that I think undermine your more recent posts where you cling on to anything negative, how exactly would you like me to clarify these attributed posts, post number, date or both ??

And Armageddon we may well have ....
Its taken 8 years for the FTSE to get back to 2008 levels and it rose on a pro Europe vote speculation, we now slide back down the snake again
The worst appears yet to come. HSBC expect the Pound to reach parity with the Euro next year and $1.10 with the Dollar by the end of 2017
and now my pension pot has just sunk in the Stock Exchange
bye bye Disneyworld you are too expensive now....

Feel free to post anything from me that might constitute a lie, anything at all.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
More Brexit bad news as “Restaurant closures in UK jumped by a fifth to almost 1,000 last year”. If the cold doesn’t get you starvation will. Britain, the Ethiopia of Europe.

I see what you are doing here, making out that you exaggerate some posts for comedic effect, a little bit of of a 'knockabout' not every post is meant to be serious, just bantz, yeah that'll save you.

I am back in the office later and you will be challenged too, ignore or no ignore.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

No wonder matey from Whetherspoons loves Brexit, trade down and enjoy a microwaved Chicken Supreme at one of his fine establishments instead

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No wonder matey from Whetherspoons loves Brexit, trade down and enjoy a microwaved Chlorinated and Bleached Chicken Supreme at one of his fine establishments instead

Corrected it for you.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Personally I am ignoring this thread for the most part because it is the same tedious bigoted people going round in circles all the time....... particularly on the leave side. But that is just a symptom of how divided the country is. At least Boris made some sort of effort last week to reach out...... but what a feeble and laughable effort.

My remain convictions are as strong as they have ever been and have, if anything, been strengthened significantly by the happenings of recent weeks and months. Itis the likes of Farage, Rees-Mogg and Johnson who are arrogant.

Yep. It's groundhog day in this thread.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

I can't remember the details, but I had a run-in years ago with our friend BigGully where, If I remember correctly, he insisted that something he 'knew' about the team was correct. This was despite me and others telling him he was wrong. (I think the 'others' included Guy Butters) but he insisted he was right and we were all lying - sound familiar ? :lolol:

Since then, I've generally found it best to ignore natures answer to Diphenhydramine

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I can't remember the details, but I had a run-in years ago with our friend BigGully where, If I remember correctly, he insisted that something he 'knew' about the team was correct. This was despite me and others telling him he was wrong. (I think the 'others' included Guy Butters) but he insisted he was right and we were all lying - sound familiar ? :lolol:

Since then, I've generally found it best to ignore natures answer to Diphenhydramine

You have wilfully missed the point, there is a direct question that were those posts that I have attributed to [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] and [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] true or not, quite simple.

Both claimed that there were untrue and branded me a liar, but every word is true and I can quickly attribute those post through their #number and date if required, so it isn't really for me to defend myself I will leave that to them.

Back to you current point, firstly I wouldn't have said you were lying, I might have said that what you said wasn't true, that's different.

I can vaguely remember something, perhaps it was during or shortly after the Wilkins era, but cannot remember the specifics or you being part of it ?

Although I sometimes post a view on 'football development' I rarely do on first team or club matters, I am fairly dispassionate about those things, if however I posted something regarding the club in response to you then I must have had some precise information that clearly contradicted yours and I felt needed to be said, it now seems that you dismissed it as not true and I dismissed yours as not true on a club matter that might be quite difficult to prove either way, nothing more.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008

priceless :lolol:......STILL LEAVING :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here