Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "One of the brightest young managers in the Premier League"

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
If you studied your history you will no doubt be aware that Howe was the rival manager in probably two of the most contentious decisions ever made at the Amex.

Firstly - Pawson's double sending off v Burnley when they got off scot free and still only just scraped a win. This was following the haranguing of the 4th official by the Burnley bench.

Secondly - the Hoops penalty decision against Calderon. In all my time watching football I can never recall a worse decision by an official.

Thirdly - The utterly outrageous late penalty against Elphick at Withdean, that was i. a foul by Fletcher (?), ii. outside the box and iii. it was their player's hand it hit. The same match where that **** Symes deliberately left his foot in, and kicked Ankergren in the head.

(By the way, have you noticed who the ref is tomorrow night...? )

. You missed the bit where he came back and led us to the championship and then the premier league. Shat for you must mean something very different.

Yes, because what happened AFTER he came back, is good reason to explain why you welcomed the snide prick back at the time, after he'd ****ed you over.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Smug Eddie is doing a great job. Leave him alone:

Bournemouth have won just five of their 23 Premier League games in 2017 so far (D7 L11) - this is fewer than every other team to have played in the competition over both 2016-17 and 2017-18.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thirdly - The utterly outrageous late penalty against Elphick at Withdean, that was i. a foul by Fletcher (?), ii. outside the box and iii. it was their player's hand it hit. The same match where that **** Symes deliberately left his foot in, and kicked Ankergren in the head.

(By the way, have you noticed who the ref is tomorrow night...? )

Yes, because what happened AFTER he came back, is good reason to explain why you welcomed the snide prick back at the time, after he'd ****ed you over.

I would bloody love it if we won tomorrow off the back of an incredibly contentious and dodgy decision, but I fear we are more likely to lose to one, again..

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Smug Eddie is doing a great job. Leave him alone:

In the last set of Bournemouths accounts the club had the smallest turnover and the lowest wage bill in the Premier League. Bournemouth spent the lowest bar Stoke in the last transfer window.

We will see come the end of the season where we finish. You have never played in the premier league until this season so those stats might be similar to yours if you manage to survive.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
In the last set of Bournemouths accounts the club had the smallest turnover and the lowest wage bill in the Premier League. Bournemouth spent the lowest bar Stoke in the last transfer window.

We will see come the end of the season where we finish. You have never played in the premier league until this season so those stats might be similar to yours if you manage to survive.
The point is that if our stats are like those then I very much doubt we will survive and if yours continue to be similar then you won't either!

Plucky Bournemouth who paid £20m for Ake and are paying Defoe £20m over three years. Run on a shoestring. Surviving because of Eddie's genius.

Do me a favour.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The point is that if our stats are like those then I very much doubt we will survive and if yours continue to be similar then you won't either!

Plucky Bournemouth who paid £20m for Ake and are paying Defoe £20m over three years. Run on a shoestring. Surviving because of Eddie's genius.

Do me a favour.

And how many million on Ibe who Eddie has now decided he doesn't like?

Inova

Aug 25, 2016

Do me a favour.

I think we will be fine. We have survived at this level now for two seasons. We finished 9th last season, Yes 9th! Don't think our stats were that bad really. Come back to me when you make a top ten finish in the Premier League...

20M for Defoe over three years? Let me guess somebody told you on here that we are paying him over 6.5m a year so it must be true?!?!? If that was the case then why didn't we just go and sign a 30m striker?

The stats don't lie we have the smallest turnover and spent the 2nd lowest in the transfer window.

We are surviving because of Eddie's management no question about that. If he walked out the door tomorrow we would be down this season.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I think we will be fine. We have survived at this level now for two seasons. We finished 9th last season, Yes 9th! Don't think our stats were that bad really. Come back to me when you make a top ten finish in the Premier League...

20M for Defoe over three years? Let me guess somebody told you on here that we are paying him over 6.5m a year so it must be true?!?!? If that was the case then why didn't we just go and sign a 30m striker?

The stats don't lie we have the smallest turnover and spent the 2nd lowest in the transfer window.

We are surviving because of Eddie's management no question about that. If he walked out the door tomorrow we would be down this season.

What if he walked out the day after?

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
And how many million on Ibe who Eddie has now decided he doesn't like?

Ibe is yet to prove he is worth a start. Eddie recruits young players with a point to prove. Its up to them to stake a claim to start. The 15 million was an investment that is yet to pay off.

15 million is nothing in the current premier league market gets you are unproven youngster nowadays.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Come back to you? You're the one on our forum. You're never going to find admiration for Howe on here, so you're wasting your time.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My only contribution to this thread (for now) would be to point out the high-end skill employed by Eddie Howe for him to score the winning goal for Brighton on our 'Centenary' match in 2001.

Oh, and just how teeth-grindingly immature and self-important Bournemouth fans were - and no, it wasn't one or two - on the most recent visit to the Amex. It's one thing to celebrate your own team's victory, but it adds a touch of class and kudos to the occasion to be able to converse with opposition fans in an intelligent manner about the match itself. Bournemouth fans were spectacularly incapable of doing so.

For self-entitlement, they put Newcastle fans to shame.

They are, on so many levels, a tedious, fabricated caricature of Eddie and his chippy intransigence to decency.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Impressive as a 9th place position sounds (joint 8th really), it's less impressive when scrutinised....

1. 15 points behind 7th.
2. 23 points behind 6th.
3. 29 points behind 5th.
4. 6 points above 17th.

Don't get me wrong, we'd bite your hand off for that position too, but you know as well as we do that you're in the "also rans" sub-division of the Premier League and it will only take one dodgy spell for you to be flushed back down to the Championship (and, hopefully, even lower - back to where you belong).

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Ibe is yet to prove he is worth a start. Eddie recruits young players with a point to prove. Its up to them to stake a claim to start. The 15 million was an investment that is yet to pay off.

15 million is nothing in the current premier league market gets you are unproven youngster nowadays.

As mental as the market is, that's absolute nonsense.

Of course you CAN pay £15m for an unproven youngster if you want to.

Or you can spend your cash considerably more wisely. We paid less than that for Holland's current Number 10, and about a quarter of that for the guy who created the most chances in the entire Bundesliga last season.

The truth (which again you'll deny, of course) is that on the whole Eddie's work in the transfer market has been woeful*, thus the continued faith in your League One / Championship stalwarts.

Is record signing Tokelo Rantie still with you?

*for a tiny bit of balance, Callum Wilson at the time, and Lewis Cook were both EXCELLENT signings.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
As mental as the market is, that's absolute nonsense.

Of course you CAN pay £15m for an unproven youngster if you want to.

Or you can spend your cash considerably more wisely. We paid less than that for Holland's current Number 10, and about a quarter of that for the guy who created the most chances in the entire Bundesliga last season.

The truth (which again you'll deny, of course) is that on the whole Eddie's work in the transfer market has been woeful*, thus the continued faith in your League One / Championship stalwarts.

Is record signing Tokelo Rantie still with you?

*for a tiny bit of balance, Callum Wilson at the time, and Lewis Cook were both EXCELLENT signings.

No fair point I will give you this one. If you had to be critical of Howe I would agree that the recruitment has been woeful at times. He has got more wrong than right over the last few years which is why the players who have done so well for us in the past are still starting games.

Rantie thankful has moved on.

I think 15m for Ibe was worth a punt at the time. The lad could still come good although he hasn't performed up until now.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think 15m for Ibe was worth a punt at the time. The lad could still come good although he hasn't performed up until now.

Surely that should read you THOUGHT Ibe was worth a punt at the time. Clearly though, he's been an expensive flop. He'll be loaned out to a lower or midtable Championship club before long I would think, before being sold off for a fraction of what you paid for him, if you can get any takers.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
My only contribution to this thread (for now) would be to point out the high-end skill employed by Eddie Howe for him to score the winning goal for Brighton on our 'Centenary' match in 2001.

Oh, and just how teeth-grindingly immature and self-important Bournemouth fans were - and no, it wasn't one or two - on the most recent visit to the Amex. It's one thing to celebrate your own team's victory, but it adds a touch of class and kudos to the occasion to be able to converse with opposition fans in an intelligent manner about the match itself. Bournemouth fans were spectacularly incapable of doing so.

For self-entitlement, they put Newcastle fans to shame.

They are, on so many levels, a tedious, fabricated caricature of Eddie and his chippy intransigence to decency.

There is good reason why so many Bournemouth fans exhibit themselves as obnoxious Eddie clones - they don't know anything else. Many having leapt aboard the Bournemouth glory train long since it departed the lower reaches of League 1 or 2.

Inova

Aug 25, 2016
Surely that should read you THOUGHT Ibe was worth a punt at the time. Clearly though, he's been an expensive flop. He'll be loaned out to a lower or midtable Championship club before long I would think, before being sold off for a fraction of what you paid for him, if you can get any takers.

What you mean like the talk on this forum that Hemed should be loaned out until he scored last weekend?

It was all doom and gloom on here the other week now suddenly after one win everyone has piped up and starting picking apart Bournemouth and our players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here