Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Facts that will blow your mind

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was in Salamanca, Spain recently, where there is a ZAMORA Street, upon which is an opticians called ULLOA

I couldn't find a MURRAY tobacconist or a LOCADIA toy shop

Similarly I was always fascinated that Atletico Madrid played at the Vincente Calderon stadium, when we had both Vincente and Calderon at BHA.

OK, maybe fascinated is pushing it a bit.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I think [MENTION=33745]marlowe[/MENTION] is failing to take into account bouyancy.

If you place 100g blocks of iron (small) and wood (large) into water, the iron would sink and displace more water than the wood, because the wood is only partially submerged.

If you place 100g blocks of iron (small) and aluminium (large) into water, they would both sink and displace water equivilent to their respective volumes.

I did take into account bouyancy. I was basing my interpretation of the principle on two fully submerged objects. As you state the two 100g objects of different sizes displace the same amount of water when fully submerged which is essentially what I was saying but in a different way. I'm only going by what Archimedes stated, it's not something I've actually tried to prove myself so I'm taking his word on trust. I find it hard to believe myself but if true I think you'd have to agree it's pretty mind blowing.

Edit: I've just reread the last paragraph of your post. Have I got Archimedes' principle all wrong? I thought the displacement (when fully submerged) was equivalent to the weight not the volume.

Last edited:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
I did take into account bouyancy. I was basing my interpretation of the principle on two fully submerged objects. As you state the two 100g objects of different sizes displace the same amount of water when fully submerged which is essentially what I was saying but in a different way. I'm only going by what Archimedes stated, it's not something I've actually tried to prove myself so I'm taking his word on trust. I find it hard to believe myself but if true I think you'd have to agree it's pretty mind blowing.

Edit: I've just reread the last paragraph of your post. Have I got Archimedes' principle all wrong? I thought the displacement (when fully submerged) was equivalent to the weight not the volume.

I'm quietly confident that Archimedes was correct.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I think [MENTION=33745]marlowe[/MENTION] is failing to take into account buoyancy.

If you place 100g blocks of iron (small) and wood (large) into water, the iron would sink and displace less water than the wood, because the wood is only partially submerged.

If you place 100g blocks of iron (small) and aluminium (large) into water, they would both sink and displace water equivalent to their respective volumes.

First statement corrected. A 100g block or iron has a volume of about 12.7 cc. When it sinks it will therefore displace 12.7 cc of water. Assuming it is less dense than water and floats (not true of all wood), a 100g block of wood will displace 100g (100 cc) of water.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i think you've mixed up displacement and buoyancy? the counter effect of the water on the object, which would be weight releated.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The Eiffel Tower leans away from the sun

In it's 20+ year history an incredible 63% of winners on Bargain Hunt have come from the blue team

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The earth would fit inside the sun 1.3 million times

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Facts that will blow your mind

Brighton and Hove Albion came back from 0-2 down to beat the Premier League Champions, Manchester City, 3-2.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
That you’re meant to put a stamp on a letter received for someone who no longer lives at your address, not just scribble the forwarding address on it and chuck it in a postbox. Probably obvious to most, apparently not to me.

:eek:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brighton has the deepest hand dug well in the world and is deeper than the Empire States building is tall .

I saw a play about the people that dug that. If I recall, it was useless as it let saltwater in?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
That you’re meant to put a stamp on a letter received for someone who no longer lives at your address, not just scribble the forwarding address on it and chuck it in a postbox. Probably obvious to most, apparently not to me.

:eek:

Well blow me down with a feather. I never knew that and have never done it.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

you write the forwarding address on the envelopes as left on the note with 2 Argos biros, which you found the day you moved in.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

I got told off by the woman in the Post Office. :) It’s seen as a separate posting and delivery and so requires a further stamp, although it seems to get delivered either way.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here