Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cost of football really is a joke

There is often more than one mascot coming out with the team.

More than often, I'd say at least five or six mascots for every game.

In some ways this devalues it for the mascot, when [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] was a mascot it was just him and it was completely free.

Having said that, the current arrangements give more kids the opportunity which is a good thing.

It's difficult to know what the cost should be, there is an argument for it to be free although I wouldn't have said our current prices are excessive bearing in mind all the add ons which come with just the position of mascot. Certainly when Commander's boys are old enough I'd be happy to shell out for them (although don't tell him, he can pay for them himself!)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Don't we still have a draw from Junior Seagulls occasionally, for a free mascot?
There is often more than one mascot coming out with the team.

One per starting player, two for the captain I believe.

More than often, I'd say at least five or six mascots for every game.

In some ways this devalues it for the mascot, when [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] was a mascot it was just him and it was completely free.

Having said that, the current arrangements give more kids the opportunity which is a good thing.

It's difficult to know what the cost should be, there is an argument for it to be free although I wouldn't have said our current prices are excessive bearing in mind all the add ons which come with just the position of mascot. Certainly when Commander's boys are old enough I'd be happy to shell out for them (although don't tell him, he can pay for them himself!)

If it was just walking on to the pitch then I'd agree but the group is entertained by Gully, have group and individual pictures and do a warm up session together on the pitch. They all sit together and get a museum tour. it's really very well done.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly that - what would £6,650 (£350 x 19) really do given the broadcasting income when what it does is makes a divide between those that can financially afford it to those that cannot, and for very little positive result

There are TWO captain's mascots per game. Plus 10 player mascots.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Firstly that price is for the captain's mascot. The other packages at Brighton are cheaper.

Secondly my son was a mascot against Leicester this season. I paid for it and I'm not ashamed. To say he had the day of his life is an understatement, He's barely come down off the ceiling. He got to walk out with Davy Propper, do a warm up routine, have photos absolutely everywhere (I was behind the away dug out till 30 seconds before kick off) and we had excellent seats for the game, Murray scored at our end and ran to the mascots. The girls who looked after the mascots and parents were excellent. In fact I cannot praise the club enough, they were amazing.

This cost us £225. Now it would be vulgar to post that if I was bragging but I post it for comparison. Consider he got full kit (I guess over £50 retail), we both got seats in the West Lower (let's say around £50) and it's really £125. A birthday party at a bowling alley or Lazer Zone costs MUCH more than that.

All together it's outstanding value.

Bravo

Jan 30, 2008
Why should mascots be free?

Why don't we get free tea or coffee? The club can afford it.
Why don't we get free travel? The club can afford it.
Why don't we get free programmes? The club can afford it.
ask the club :rolleyes: agree with the OP another scam aimed at people already being over charged to enter a football ground ???
regards
DR

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ask the club :rolleyes: agree with the OP another scam aimed at people already being overcharged to enter a football ground ???
regards
DR

Times change you have to move with them.

Regards
SB.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
comes a point when you have to say enough is enough , how far are you prepared to go ???

regards
DR

Seemingly, for you at least, that depends on the situation concerned.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Were any of those free before?

I remember getting a free glass of fizz at the Withdean when we got Falmer, should I still be paying for alcohol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Fans now having to pay to be a mascot?

I am sure its been talked about on here before but £350 to be one at Brighton, with all this money sloshing around why charge?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46526716

Just read Guinness Boy’s and Stat Brother’s posts.

The £millions of TV money might stop one day. Would that justify doubling the cost of the mascot package? Of course not. Have you heard of the phrase “make hay while the sun shines”?

The £millions of TV money might stop one day. Would that justify doubling the cost of the mascot package? Of course not. Have you heard of the phrase “make hay while the sun shines”?

Since I started watching the Albion the real cost have out stripped inflation to an alarming degree. I think enough hay has been made already.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Since I started watching the Albion the real cost have out stripped inflation to an alarming degree. I think enough hay has been made already.

Like many things football is a completely different product to what it was in the 60’s. I don’t think enough hay was made in the 1990s and the sun certainly wasn’t shining then!!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Agree with the OP here. Low income families are disadvantaged and the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Premier League clubs have no reason to charge for this, bearing in mind the amount of money floating around.

Should a father on £20k per annum in Brighton have to pay hundreds to let his son or daughter be paraded round with a player who earns his annual salary in 2 days!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Making hay sounds like a warchest is required for relegation/broadcasting income crash, so to exploit every conceivable income stream, no matter how small, in the mean time. A economic argument (Ryanair), but a football club is bit more than ££££.

High PL broadcasting is here to stay. People all over the globe love their sport. The PL/Sky/BT simply tapped into that, in the way that North American sport had done brilliantly for decades. If Sky or BT reduce their budgets, other media giants will replace. That rainy day won’t come.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree with the OP here. Low income families are disadvantaged and the whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Premier League clubs have no reason to charge for this, bearing in mind the amount of money floating around.

Should a father on £20k per annum in Brighton have to pay hundreds to let his son or daughter be paraded round with a player who earns his annual salary in 2 days!

Why does he have to?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm still waiting for [MENTION=19107]wakeytom[/MENTION] to tell me of the time this package was free, thereby proving the point that the club is now milking it's new found 'fame'.

(I genuinely don't know either way, but if I were betting on it, I know which way my money would go)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why should a wealthy parent have an advantage over another parent, in seeing their kid walk onto the pitch with club captain?

And it isn’t someone else’s money. The club will have positive cash inflows in 2018/19 without the need for TB subsidy for the first time IMO.

which only cost £300,000,000.

So you're advocating Communism?

If the poor parent's child wanted the package the, I assume, season ticket holding parent could afford it.
How much money was spent on said child last week & on their birthday?

Chances are those of you who are currently clutching their pearls and preparing to swoon over this, are doing so because the 'poor families' child can't do this a whim.

Neither of my children can do this that's life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here