Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
With bissouma on the lookout for a regular start dale will need to up his game and tbf he did just that today

CH has a bit of a problem in how best to incorporate the different skills and attributes of his midfielders. I'm a big Bissouma fan, but he simply couldn't have stamped his authority on the game like Stephens did today, and I think Arsenal would have got through more often. It was noticeable how in the second half they started playing more long balls to cut out the midfield altogether. But on the other hand, I missed Bissouma's driving forward runs and general support play, which enables more of us to get in their box. I think the competition is going to benefit us in the long run.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought Dale was a cut above his 'usual reliable self', 'defensive midfielder' today. I thought he showed real attacking intent, and some of his forward passes really set us up for some good attacks. He broke up so much of Arsenal's play, BUT turned that into really good forward possession for us. Of Arsenal's 9 corners, I thought I counted Dale heading at least 5 of them clear, he was positive and for me it was an impressive midfield performance alongside the equally good Propper.

Dale, Seb and Davey have a real battle on their hands with Bissouma fighting for a place, but all 3 really put in top performances I thought, especially second half.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought Dale was a cut above his 'usual reliable self', 'defensive midfielder' today . I thought he showed real attacking intent, and some of his forward passes really set us up for some good attacks. He broke up so much of Arsenal's play, BUT turned that into really good forward possession for us. Of Arsenal's 9 corners, I thought I counted Dale heading at least 5 of them clear, he was positive and for me it was an impressive midfield performance alongside the equally good Propper.

Dale, Seb and Davey have a real battle on their hands with Bissouma fighting for a place, but all 3 really put in top performances I thought, especially second half.

:thumbsup:

Only one bit I dont agree with you on..it was definitely yesterday

PS why have you included Seb?

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Absolute class last night as was Propper. Did so much closing and it worked with some timely interceptions.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oak I am going to be a tad ignorant here and ask...Seb? Not Beram?

Only my opinion, but I don't think Kayal is a threat to Prop, Dale or Pascal if they're all fit and available. Bissouma is a genuine contender for their starting places.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought Dale was a cut above his 'usual reliable self', 'defensive midfielder' today. I thought he showed real attacking intent, and some of his forward passes really set us up for some good attacks. He broke up so much of Arsenal's play, BUT turned that into really good forward possession for us. Of Arsenal's 9 corners, I thought I counted Dale heading at least 5 of them clear, he was positive and for me it was an impressive midfield performance alongside the equally good Propper.

Apart from the Seb bit :)shrug:), agree with all of this. There's some simple binary stuff said about Stephens on here (he's crucial, or he's too negative, etc), but he was really very good today, and much of that was to do with the fact that he was more positive. He played a number of excellent long balls (which he rarely does in other games), creating good opportunities, including March's one-on-one. What hasn't really changed is that Stephens is our best sitting midfielder (Ninja Elephant compared him to Carrick, and that's as good a parallel as to how he's evolved, especially since we've stopped playing two up front) who does the mopping up, defensive work effectively and is positionally sound.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Dale and solly are weak links

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Apart from the Seb bit :)shrug:), agree with all of this. There's some simple binary stuff said about Stephens on here (he's crucial, or he's too negative, etc), but he was really very good today, and much of that was to do with the fact that he was more positive. He played a number of excellent long balls (which he rarely does in other games), creating good opportunities, including March's one-on-one. What hasn't really changed is that Stephens is our best sitting midfielder (Ninja Elephant compared him to Carrick, and that's as good a parallel as to how he's evolved, especially since we've stopped playing two up front) who does the mopping up, defensive work effectively and is positionally sound.

I’d say that DS is our Kante, Ledley King or Makelele .... a destroyer of threats, shielding the back 4 and passing it simple to more creative players.

Carrick was always a gifted passer, but with age Taggart brought him back as a deep lying ‘quarterback’.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Will Pep be coming in for Stephens as cover for Fernandinho?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I’d say that DS is our Kante, Ledley King or Makelele .... a destroyer of threats, shielding the back 4 and passing it simple to more creative players.

Carrick was always a gifted passer, but with age Taggart brought him back as a deep lying ‘quarterback’.

I see what you're trying to add there but, for me, Stephens lacks mobility and pace, which you really get from Makelele and, especially, Kante.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Stephens hasn’t changed. He’s been a quality DM for us for many seasons now, one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Exactly this.

Hit one floaty pass in the first 10 minutes, but after that gave a master class in passing.

Heard a few moans from the West upper when he went backwards, but if they’d bothered to look at the pitch, there was literally nothing on, and a square pass would have been intercepted and we’d have been open.

Great player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here