Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Retirement

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I'm always alarmed at how many people put off retirement because they fear they wouldn't knoe what to do with their days. Sake! I've got a near-60 year old brother who works in air traffic control who still won't make the jump into retirement. Keeps saying oh if I only work one more year I'll make so much extra thousand pounds and add n pounds to my pension. See that so often. Its like people are scared to retire in case their life suddenly ceases to have meaning. **** that for a game of soldiers.

having lost so many friends I just want to make the most of what time I have left

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Retired at 50. Fine for a year but got bored, so took a part time job with flexible hours to suit. Very happy I’m away from the stress of full time work. Wife is taking retirement in January so planning doing things together.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I'm always alarmed at how many people put off retirement because they fear they wouldn't knoe what to do with their days. Sake! I've got a near-60 year old brother who works in air traffic control who still won't make the jump into retirement. Keeps saying oh if I only work one more year I'll make so much extra thousand pounds and add n pounds to my pension. See that so often. Its like people are scared to retire in case their life suddenly ceases to have meaning. **** that for a game of soldiers.

If you enjoy work though and appreciate your holidays, weekends etc then no harm done. Your brother is still relatively young to be thinking retirement.

theboybilly

I've been lucky since I retired in December 2015 from the railway. I'd just had enough of getting up at 2.30 in the morning or getting home at 'Silly o'clock'. I paid everything up and got a new kitchen and bathroom fitted, went on a few holidays or city breaks being careful to leave enough of a lump some for a rainy day. I've now got a little job at Albion's Lancing academy which keeps me occupied and I get to see much of what goes on behind the scenes. This leaves me with time to attend all home games and most aways. I really couldn't ask for more other than perhaps not having to wait another 2 years for my State Pension. I'm happier now than I ever was at work

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can't wait, got loads of things I want to do that I simply don't have enough time for now - start fishing again, play more golf, travel a lot more.........just can't quite afford to stop work yet.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you enjoy work though and appreciate your holidays, weekends etc then no harm done. Your brother is still relatively young to be thinking retirement.

Really? Stress of being an air traffic controller for near on 40 years, first in the military and then at a very busy UK commercial airport? With an obscenely generous pension package? I'd have been out of there as soon as I hit the retirement qualifying date.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm 55 and looking to retire from my full time job as soon as the next voluntary redundancy package comes along.

I intend to set up a bigger workshop than the one I have now and make things out of wood and metal.

Good shout about the pension though, THPP, I worked at Amex from 1979 to 1984 so might have a bit of bunce in there.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Does anyone have advice on day to day good and bad points on reaching retirement .... asking for a friend

I don't mean financial, stuff like social isolation, laziness, boredom

Get a missus with a pengeant (sp) for nagging, tried to retire but have had to do more stuff around the house then what I had to do when I was working, bless her!!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Get up early every morning and head down to Preston Park station. Grab a coffee off Gary and a pastry. Go up to platform 2 and watch all the poor sods getting on the train to London.

Then smile, and enjoy your day.

:thumbsup: I read that twice and both times to the tune of “ Israelites “ by Desmond Dekker

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I will be retiring in December and have a few ideas on what to get involved in.
1. Ancestry research I want to trace my family back as far as possible. (Surname is Cook so maybe ...............................)
2. Photography bought a new camera last year and using my Bus Pass will get on and travel around Malta and take loads of photos.
3. Walking - Will gradually increase my distances from 5k onwards and upwards
4. Volunteer at some NGO (Maybe Inspire https://inspire.org.mt/ or an animal charity)
5. Cooking - Will take over the role as chief cook and bottle washer

Think that should do

6. Study NSC
7. Go shopping on a Saturday morning when you had all week to go :whistle:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I will retire in 2019 and boredom is a real fear for me.
I need to quit my job as I just can't handle the shift work anymore, so working on a while is not an option.
I am considering selling my flat in the centre of Brighton and moving back to Worthing so I can get a big garden, and maybe a house that needs doing up. Then, a couple of dogs, an allotment, learning to cook the stuff I've grown, home brewing, learn Spanish, a lot more Albion matches once free from shift work. Maybe a part time job .......

PT job is a great shout, many companies now offer very flexible hours etc and you earn a bit of cash whilst keeping the important social network the workplace can bring.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I will be retiring in December and have a few ideas on what to get involved in.
1. Ancestry research I want to trace my family back as far as possible. (Surname is Cook so maybe ...............................)
2. Photography bought a new camera last year and using my Bus Pass will get on and travel around Malta and take loads of photos.
3. Walking - Will gradually increase my distances from 5k onwards and upwards
4. Volunteer at some NGO (Maybe Inspire https://inspire.org.mt/ or an animal charity)
5. Cooking - Will take over the role as chief cook and bottle washer

Think that should do

If you live in Malta have you considered taking up scuba diving? I've just qualified and I'm told there's some incredible diving around the Maltese coast.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I retired at the end of May. I don’t miss work at all but I like to keep in touch with a couple of former colleagues to stay informed. People say that fully adapting to retirement can take as long as six months. I sometimes feel that I no longer have a purpose and, like Oxy, resent the fact that whenever we got out during the day in midweek we are invariably the youngest people. Amongst my peers I am the first to retire and look forward to the retirement of other friends.

One aspect that has taken me by surprise is that I’ve never slept so badly since I retired. Before retirement I seemed to be able to block out everything and get a good night’s sleep. I’m now constantly waking through the night and lying awake for hours. As a consequence I’m tending to lie in longer than I used to.

I echo the previous advice about keeping the brain active and also having activities to occupy yourself.

Biggest bonus is not worrying about how much I have to drink on any day!

When I had a prolonged period of gardening leave, six months, I had awful sleep patterns. I then decided regardless how late I went to bed, how badly I slept or how much I'd drunk I had to be up, showered and out the door, if only to buy a paper, by 8 a.m., best thing I did, it all fell into place.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On the wider subject of retirement, I'm 50 and I can't see me retiring for many years, as me pension provision is nowhere near where it needs to be. Sad, but true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here