Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What is Your Favourite Local Shop (Independent or chain)?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We need a fishmonger in Fiveways! We're absolutely infested with cafe-type places, and since I've lived there we've lost the little cobblers, the chemist and a handy office supplies shop.

It's been many a year since I've really stopped in Fiveways. All I really remember is Alan's the barbers ( he had MS which made him shake - not good for a barber - or the customer ! ) and that the Co-Op had the thinest isles EVER for a shop.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Co op as it's next door

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Thank you. My memory is slightly better than I thought it was!

I loved the second hand record shops back in the 70s, somewhere around Trafalgar Street, I think.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Badgers Books in Worthing. Great little secondhand bookshop that has managed to keep going for the last 30 or so years.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Uselessly far away for 99%+ of the posters on here, but I spend far too much money in Books Upstairs in Dublin (which due to moving building, now has books downstairs, a cafe upstairs). History, arts, science, literary fiction and higher quality kids books are about all they do; used to do travel books before that market collapsed. Closed their only branch and moved building a few years ago to a side street, but they're expanding again as I think the shine has gone off ebooks a bit.

Only use Amazon for stuff they don't have in stock - they're always competitive for books they normally stock but special orders are slower and dearer.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thank you. My memory is slightly better than I thought it was!

I loved the second hand record shops back in the 70s, somewhere around Trafalgar Street, I think.

I used those in the late 70's early 80's. There was a tiny one completely on it's by the rubbly Pelham Street tech college car park, just opposite Kensington Gardens. 'Vinyl Demand' I think it was called?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's been many a year since I've really stopped in Fiveways. All I really remember is Alan's the barbers ( he had MS which made him shake - not good for a barber - or the customer ! ) and that the Co-Op had the thinest isles EVER for a shop.

That CoOp is still crammed.

Opposite are two new-ish coffee shops selling nice cakes. Mums pack them out after the school drops off to Balfour and Downs.

Five Ways certainly isn't dying, unlike other small shop areas, where shops are lost to housing.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I used those in the late 70's early 80's. There was a tiny one completely on it's by the rubbly Pelham Street tech college car park, just opposite Kensington Gardens. 'Vinyl Demand' I think it was called?

It was indeed called "Vinyl Demand". Do you remember this guy working in there?
me in shop - 4S.jpg
Here's a link to other people reminiscing about the place.
http://www.mybrightonandhove.org.uk/page_id__9268.aspx

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
local.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No but seriously, it was this place

the cottage.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Andrew's fishmongers by the open market - excellent range of fresh, locally landed seafood that is hard to find elsewhere (cuttlefish, octopus, Huss etc) and always up for a chat
Quaff on Portland Road and Seven Cellars both good off-licences with strong lines in local wines and beers.
We also have a pretty good selection of non-chain restaurants to choose from.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Rog Man butchers in Farm Road. Supplies loads of restaurants and doesn't look like it's open to the public, but they'll happily sell you whatever you want - even just a couple of sausages. Real Patisserie is great and the growth of Small Batch has been really impressive from their tiny little place near the station.

As for the OP's Toolstation... surely that's a massive national chain?

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Sing Li chips, near Brighton station. Piping hot, great value.

Uncle Jims kebabs, preston circus. 'Pure Turkish dish, not a copy'.. great post pub nosh.

Rounder Records, in the Lanes. A great way to spend your pocket money!

Duke of Yorks cinema. Some interesting foreign language films.. ok, i went for the boobage!

Uncle Sams / Grubbs burgers.

Ransons hardware, Ann Street. All the cleaning / gardening / home stuff and home tat you will ever need.

Last edited:

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
That is ringing vague bells - was that a sports shop? I seem to remember being taken there to buy a tennis or squash racket when I was a kid.

Am I getting confused with a sports sport that is / was in Duke Street, off West Street?..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here