Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shootings and explosion in Paris!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Did I just hear that there has been another explosion and gunfire in Paris?

From BBC website

"Paris is, predictably, in a febrile state. Reports of shooting in the suburb of Bagnolet spread online and a police helicopter was dispatched overhead. Police are now saying the noise was firecrackers set off by a wedding party. "

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
From BBC website

"Paris is, predictably, in a febrile state. Reports of shooting in the suburb of Bagnolet spread online and a police helicopter was dispatched overhead. Police are now saying the noise was firecrackers set off by a wedding party. "

Phew. Not very smart setting off firecrackers in Paris today, but good to hear it's a false alarm.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It could help, but it's just as likely that any acts of terrorism in our country will be committed by British citizens.

:(

Indeed but we MUST do what we can to help ourselves. Keeping our heads buried in the sand no longer acceptable. The EU need to be told to stick their border controls. The people trying to claim our borders are fine as they are, need to be sectioned

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Where in this thread has anybody said that 6 million Muslims are hell bent on massacre?

Nowhere.

I seem to remember polls showing a fifth of British Muslims having some sympathy with the feelings and motives of the 7/7 bombers. Other polls have shown various unpleasant truths about the opinions of a significant minority of Muslims in the west. No one is claiming all, most, a majority, are the problem but to ignore the actual size of the threat is not helping anyone.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Not 6 million but a lot more than the less than 10 you suggested in your previous post.
30% of who believe in the ideal of an Islamic caliphate so 1.8 million

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How are you feeling about (going to) Euro 2016?

Same as before, I'm looking forwards to it. Without being too flippant before France I'm working in the US (33,000 firearms deaths last year), Tanzania (23,000 deaths from malaria) and Qatar (and I'm not wearing a hard hat).

Statistically therefore there's little to be too worried about in terms of terrorism by comparison.

If this is your way of asking me for my ticket for the final, the answer is still 'Non' :)

Yoda

English & European

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Nowhere.

I seem to remember polls showing a fifth of British Muslims having some sympathy with the feelings and motives of the 7/7 bombers. Other polls have shown various unpleasant truths about the opinions of a significant minority of Muslims in the west. No one is claiming all, most, a majority, are the problem but to ignore the actual size of the threat is not helping anyone.

Feelings and motives are entirely different to actions though. We have after all had a history of ill judged foreign policy in the Middle East which has been the cause of widespread animosity, even from moderates.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
England v France game going ahead next week. Good, must not let the terrorists win.

I noticed a U2 gig has been cancelled though. Every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Mr Hollande has declared three days of national mourning.

He has raised the security threat level to its highest point and imposed a nationwide state of emergency. The attacks wounded at least 180 people, 80 of whom are in a critical condition.

These are the deadliest attacks in peacetime France, and only the fourth time since WW2 that a state of emergency has been imposed. The last time was during a 2005 wave of riots in poor suburbs.

It is the worst atrocity in Europe since the 2004 Madrid bombings

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nowhere.

Feelings and motives are entirely different to actions though. We have after all had a history of ill judged foreign policy in the Middle East which has been the cause of widespread animosity, even from moderates.

And understanding or having any degree of sympathy with someone's feelings is different to agreeing with and sharing those feelings.

larus

Is Islam a peaceful religion? Is Christianity a peaceful religion? Sorry but I would have to disagree. The very basics of both faiths are wicked, advocating a vengeful, judgmental, controlling, jealous and vindictive god.

I do not think you have to 'twist' the words of the doctrines at all to find overt sexism, homophobia, discrimination, violence, rape and all manner of other disgusting instructions.

Yes, I am annoyed and angry at the moment but you know what - FU{K religion, I want to live in a secular world where these bronze age myths are a thing of the past. The sooner people around the world let go of this fairytale nonsense the sooner we can progress as a specie.

I'm an athiest, so I'm not here to defend religion, but I don't belive that religion is meant to be evil. I don't want to get into a debate about religion as I don't care enough about it. I agree that it's been responsible for horrific crimes through the centuries though.

I had a conversation with an Irish cab driver a few months back. He was a Muslim from Somalia I believe. Anyway, his view was the extremism within the islamic community was doing it sever damage and he was appalled by the attrocities carried out in the name of Islam.

I believe that most religious people are good people, but a small percentage get brain-washed by those with alternative agendas.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Jesus, UKippers are in their element today aren't they, unbelievably ignorant as usual. There are 6 million Muslims in France, these were less than 10 ********s. Maybe you could further your hatred of other beliefs to not just religion. These terrorists were men, would you like blame all men for thinking the same way as them? Maybe all straight people (I'm just guessing they were all straight but hey I might as well join in with the bullshit).

You go on about stupid generalisations after moaning about 'UKIPPERS'?

You want to have a think about that for a minute?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I'm an athiest, so I'm not here to defend religion, but I don't belive that religion is meant to be evil. I don't want to get into a debate about religion as I don't care enough about it. I agree that it's been responsible for horrific crimes through the centuries though.

I had a conversation with an Irish cab driver a few months back. He was a Muslim from Somalia I believe. Anyway, his view was the extremism within the islamic community was doing it sever damage and he was appalled by the attrocities carried out in the name of Islam.

I believe that most religious people are good people, but a small percentage get brain-washed by those with alternative agendas.

I am not denying there are good people of faith, far from it. I am at a loss to know how you justify certain extracts from the holy books though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here