Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] La Liga matches to be held in the US - Premier League next?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
If BHAFC played a premier league away game in New York or Vancouver and got paid say £10 million for doing so would you support this and would you go? I think given enough planning time ahead I’d go just for the experience of the one off away game of a lifetime. Would I do it every season ? = no.

But I guess if the premier league wants more money every year this is what we would have to consider as the price to pay.

We have to open our eyes to where the club (business) can make maximum money in the coming years if the premier league concept continues to develop around the world.

It’s a tough call. Old school English league football with all its history and romance or the potential millions on offer worldwide in the premier league if you are prepared to sell yourself in the coming years?

What choice would you make?

Go for every single £ possible or stick with tradition and history. My heart says stick with tradition my head says go for the £’s. But at the moment my heart wins.

Wake up people. The choice is closer than you think!

Last edited:

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Ladies and gentlemen we have a modern football fan. At least you have JCL in your user name, just a guess but does DFL mean Down from London?

Seriously though, a good idea?
Imagine not seeing your team play at home for a while because they are out of the FA Cup, then played away and then the next game is in the grand old US OF A.....

I don't really see 1 game every few years is that big of a deal but each to their own.

Not sure I've ever been called modern before.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How many of those thinking it is acceptable were also the ones bemoaning what happened with Wimbledon and MK Dons. Chase the money and once they realize they can earn more playing away from the Amex then it is nothing more than Franchise football. That would be it for me.

Glad to see the spanish footballers association kicking up a fuss but hope that it is genuine and not just positioning themselves for a bigger slice of the cake.

Fifa/Uefa need to do the right thing and not allow domestic competitions to operate outside their country.

If the big leagues can go where ever they get the money it's going to impact on the domestic leagues of those countries.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't need to play premier league games abroad we need to continue to sell the TV rights otherwise we will dilute our game.
We should organise more preseason tournaments abroad to promote English football.
Must not ruin what is the best league in the world.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Sounds like a good idea to me. The NFL international series over here has been a massive success.

NFL season ticket holders have never been very happy with the idea but the NFL has made somewhat of an effort to spread the travel requirements for the teams around the whole league. Will "soccer" fans in Chicago pay $100 or more (£80) for a match between Brighton & Leicester? I'm not so sure.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
NFL season ticket holders have never been very happy with the idea but the NFL has made somewhat of an effort to spread the travel requirements for the teams around the whole league. Will "soccer" fans in Chicago pay $100 or more (£80) for a match between Brighton & Leicester? I'm not so sure.

There are a few sides who have certainly taken the brunt of giving up home advantage but you do highlight a huge difference. If you follow the game, there are superstars in every NFL team (although obviously some more than others), and it is rare for teams to have long periods of time without being decent. There's also no equivalent you can watch over here (to anything remotely like the standard we are talking about). As an NFL fan in the UK, I will happily spend £80 to watch Tennessee vs San Diego for the reasons above. If i was a football fan in the US I can't imagine I'd do the same for Brighton v Southampton or whatever, I'll just stick with my MLS.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
UPDATE
Seems that no one told the players!!!!!
Real Madrid captain Sergio Ramos and Barcelona vice-captain Sergio Busquets will be among the La Liga players meeting on Wednesday (22/8/18) to discuss their "concern" over a decision to stage a game in the US.
The Spanish players' union, AFE, says players were not consulted by La Liga.
"Footballers once again feel marginalized in decision-making," read an AFE statement.

Now they know how the fans feel.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Girona v Barcelona set to be the first LaLiga game to be held in the US.

La Liga’s president, Javier Tebas, has said there is a 90% chance the first Spanish top-flight game in the US will be Girona’s “home” match against Barcelona in January. Tebas also revealed that Girona’s joint majority shareholders, Manchester City, had encouraged them to get involved in the initiative.

The game, scheduled for 27 January, will deprive Girona of a home fixture, with Tebas confirming reports that the club’s fans will be offered free flights to the game, set to take place at the Miami Dolphins’ 65,000-capacity Hard Rock Stadium in Florida.

“The game is designed to help teams that don’t have a very big fan base,” Tebas added. “Girona are partly owned by City and together with [the Miami Dolphins owner] Stephen Ross, they told us Girona were interested in playing this game. Now, several teams with a similar profile to Girona have shown interest because they see it as an opportunity. Season-ticket holders will be compensated and there is an opportunity to travel to Miami. Relevent will pay the costs.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...i-likely-la-liga-javier-tebas-manchester-city

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here