Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Budget 2014

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So who the bloody hell is going to vote for Labour next year then, after the 13 years of recklessness we went through last time?.........
Interesting re-write of history, that. Although you obviously have form for being rabidly anti-Labour.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Interesting re-write of history, that. Although you obviously have form for being rabidly anti-Labour.
Really,.... how very clever you must be to come to that re-write of my personal history,.... I just stand up and castigate idiocy in all forms, from any source, red, blue or yellow,..... I actually analyse before leaping in, I dont for example vote for a party simply because my father did, or his father before that, or because I read a certain newspaper once, or because I only earn a certain salary,........... I vote according to the prevailing conditions and policies on the table at the time....... Clear now?

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Tax allowances increasing yayyyyyy

Miliband is a prick. "Was your budget written by 5 year olds" really Ed? Idiot.

All in all looks good. Happy the Help To Buy Scheme is being extended as well, should be ready in about 3 or 4 years I hope!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm sure those in the queues at the food banks are delighted that that they're ISA limit is up to 15k and they're big pension pots now look a bit safer. Not as happy as they'll be about the reduction in bingo tax. But I think the winner for those who can't afford to eat is the alignment of tax rates for all long haul flights. Yep, we're all in it together.....

The Biggest Shock:

Budget 2014: ‘No one will have to buy an annuity’

Chancellor George Osborne shocks annuity sector with changes to drawdown options for retirees.

George Osborne has rocked the annuities market to its foundation by stripping away all caps and limits on drawdown in today’s (19 March) Budget.

Mr Osborne said: “Pensioners will have complete freedom to draw down as much or as little of their pension pot as they want, anytime they want.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Tax allowances increasing yayyyyyy

Miliband is a prick. "Was your budget written by 5 year olds" really Ed? Idiot.

All in all looks good. Happy the Help To Buy Scheme is being extended as well, should be ready in about 3 or 4 years I hope!

Or house prices double what they are now... the rate they are currently shooting up

Pointless budget hardly any changes... Thrown a few crumbs to the poor with crap like the 10,500 tax allowance...

Sergio Garcia

Jul 30, 2011
The Biggest Shock:

Budget 2014: ‘No one will have to buy an annuity’

Chancellor George Osborne shocks annuity sector with changes to drawdown options for retirees
George Osborne has rocked the annuities market to its foundation by stripping away all caps and limits on drawdown in today’s (19 March) Budget.Mr Osborne said: “Pensioners will have complete freedom to draw down as much or as little of their pension pot as they want, anytime they want.

I assume that this drawdown is taxed ?

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
1. Yes I'm in a reasonably paid Job (well 2 jobs actually) and I do work hard at both - why wouldn't you want to work hard?
2. We were sensible enough not to believe the snake oil salesmen and only got a mortgage as big as we needed (and we are overpaying it now)
3. Yes I am putting a lot into my pension pot because when our mortgage is paid off early (see 2) I can wind down and pretty well retire before
I'm 60. Although I enjoy what I do (see 1) and will probably do some Consultancy or University Lecturing until I'm wheeled off!

I don't understand why you regard any of these are exceptional or unusual views to take?

I don't think [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] was directing his comments at you...

1) You are well paid.. not everyone is. You are very lucky.
2) You only got a mortgage as big as you needed... that is very rare because if I want to buy a tin pot tiny shitty house id have to get a mortgage as big as possible and may even have to sell my soul. Cheapest houses 400k where I live. yes I could move out but i'd like to be near my family.
3) Again you are very privileged to have dispensable cash at the end of the month to put into a pension

I see exactly the point of vegster... The essence here is your age. You have done well, so well done. However I have a feeling you would have be in a totally different position had you been born 30-40 years later than you were (even following the same path)

Your post jarkata very much sounds like im ok jack...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really,.... how very clever you must be to come to that re-write of my personal history,.... I just stand up and castigate idiocy in all forms, from any source, red, blue or yellow,..... I actually analyse before leaping in, I dont for example vote for a party simply because my father did, or his father before that, or because I read a certain newspaper once, or because I only earn a certain salary,........... I vote according to the prevailing conditions and policies on the table at the time....... Clear now?
Clear? The only thing that is clear is that you don't practice what you preach, otherwise you'd never come out with this rubbish about Labour being reckless for their entire 13 years in power.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's all one massive PR stunt, but I'm sure they'll win plenty of votes from us in the knowledge that we'll now be saving 1p on every pint we drink.

He's after the "man of the people" UKIP vote. Nearly as laughable as when Cameron claimed he eat pasties. Do people really fall for this?

The budget as a whole is actually a very good bit of pre-election windowdressing. Fails to address many real issues and the best bits are stolen Lib Dem or Labour policies.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Clear? The only thing that is clear is that you don't practice what you preach, otherwise you'd never come out with this rubbish about Labour being reckless for their entire 13 years in power.

Taking the 13 years as a whole, particularly their borrowing and spending policies, coupled with the lack of control in the banking sector....well done Mr Brown...... I think reckless is the least extreme of the labels they are justified in carrying......its a simple set of examples I know, but it really was a simple scenario to analyse.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
There going to do what they can to put doubt in peoples minds. Just use the old Rich vs Poor argument. Doesn't work with me, because I am neither rich or poor, I'm in the middle like a lot of people. I don't like the Tories but they are damn sight better than those bunch of clowns. I'm honestly dreading another Labour government. Let's hope we don't get the same show next time, if we do they will finish off our country. Who do Labour exactly appeal too these days?

Quite a few on here ! (Not me I am apolitical in Malta )

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Not a bad budget,I thought.
Some useful bits and pieces for savers and pensioners as well as a raising of the personal allowance and help for exporters.
Milliband didn't have much to go for,but he was pretty poor and just sounded off on the same old same old labour tack.I just cannot see him as Prime Minister material.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Excellent, I can now invest £15 K in my ISA annually , only one small problem.

I was going to post the same thing - I would LOVE to be able to applaud this move as being of direct benefit to me. How many people were gnashing their teeth, saying "Grrrrrrrr....if ONLY I could pay MORE THAN £11,520 annually into my ISA!!!" They'll be thrilled at the extra tax break, and can celebrate with 0.5 pence off half a pint of ale, rounded down.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
1. Yes I'm in a reasonably paid Job (well 2 jobs actually) and I do work hard at both - why wouldn't you want to work hard?
2. We were sensible enough not to believe the snake oil salesmen and only got a mortgage as big as we needed (and we are overpaying it now)
3. Yes I am putting a lot into my pension pot because when our mortgage is paid off early (see 2) I can wind down and pretty well retire before
I'm 60. Although I enjoy what I do (see 1) and will probably do some Consultancy or University Lecturing until I'm wheeled off!

I don't understand why you regard any of these are exceptional or unusual views to take?

You are in a lucky position, I used to work in manufacturing and the only jobs advertised are minimum wage or £28-40K jobs working as a project managers or HR coordinators or similar. I'm part of the generation who's only meaningful qualifications were the ability to work hard, be reliable,don't let the boss down. I thought that would be enough to assure me of work but I was wrong, I just don't want to see others make my mistake. My only salvation is that I am debt free.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
At Last! I can get access to my own pension - saved with my own money - draw out as much as I want to without some thick civil servant on a gold plated pension of his own, telling me how much I can have!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here