Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Question - I'm a 50 year old who is in week 4 of Couch to 5K.

I'm starting to notice a bit of tenderness in my calf after runs. I do stretching before I start & after, but none during the run. I've been reading lately that people walk for 5 minutes & then do their stretching. Anyone have success with this method? Other suggestions?

Welcome and well done. Also nice to have another person older than me, albeit by only a little amount!

Assuming “a bit of tenderness” is a niggle I guess that it’s probably your body reacting to the new pounding it’s getting and can hopefully be resolved by getting a roller and rolling your calves out in the evening. In response to your other questions I stretch before and after runs and often walk for a few minutes before I start. I have never stretched during a run though and I do not know anyone who does this.
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] mentioned shoes, vitally important to get the correct shoes and any good shop will help you out. Something else is terrain, I am not very supple and soft surfaces affect my Achilles and calves; I read it’s to do with you pushing off as your body is still sinking causing extra strain which isn’t good if you have naturally tight archilles and hamstrings which I seem to have . I therefore prefer hard surfaces like roads as opposed to grass.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
After yesterday's fun in the sun a seven mile plod for me in a howling gale and pouring rain. Having thought I'd saved a bit in the tank from yesterday it turns out that if you run the last 0.11 of Hove Park at 6 min mile pace and get to Graham Godden pace for 10 yards or so, you bugger your long run. Who'd've thunk it?

I want drugs testing and VAR. How on earth did you get up to 5:36 pace on yesterday's run in? Maybe Newton's second law of motion F=ma as you came down the hill.:) Excellent finish.

I checked your morning run on Strava after cycling up the allotment both have encouraged me to not step outside again today.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I want drugs testing and VAR. How on earth did you get up to 5:36 pace on yesterday's run in? Maybe Newton's second law of motion F=ma as you came down the hill.:) Excellent finish.

I checked your morning run on Strava after cycling up the allotment both have encouraged me to not step outside again today.

Excellent clues, I like trying to match Strava to NSC persona.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
After yesterday's fun in the sun a seven mile plod for me in a howling gale and pouring rain. Having thought I'd saved a bit in the tank from yesterday it turns out that if you run the last 0.11 of Hove Park at 6 min mile pace and get to Graham Godden pace for 10 yards or so, you bugger your long run. Who'd've thunk it?

Of course, you did a gentle mile jog after parkrun - as always -to get the lactic acid out of your muscles from that bit of effort and didn’t head straight for the coffee and bacon sarnie didn’t you ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I have literally no idea where it came from, other than really wanting to beat 24 minutes and having no idea of how long the delayed start would add, plus it being down hill and wind assisted.

I think I've actually been taking it too easy on some training runs and will push the speed and HR on a bit on speed sessions now (though mixing them up with more sensible stuff). I've got a week away now where I can probably only get a few short runs in but I'll be sticking some strides in to them.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Somewhat challenging and different from recent conditions up on the Downs this morning- 40 mph winds and torrential rain - we also got completely lost round Pyecombe and a supposed 14.5 miles morphed in 16.7! All good fun and frankly I prefer these conditions to the heat. Also and most importantly my knee held up ok so much more confident if making Budapest in 9 weeks (gulp).

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Well done for getting to week 4. The likeliest cause is the muscles reacting to the new regime but we cannot say for certain. Gentle stretching at any point would be ok but getting the stretch wrong on warm tired muscles can lead to further injury. Ice after can help, mentally relaxing the muscle and using a roller when it's warm.

It could be running gait or shoes. https://healthunlocked.com/couchto5k/posts/131047800/calf-muscle-pain

Good luck on the 5k and don't train with sore calf.

Thanks to all for the advice. I ran cross country through school and played football until I was 40. The 10 year break after has seen many failed attempts to get back into running. The Couch to 5K seems to be doing the trick for easing me back into it. I'm hitting 4K fairly easily on the 25 minute runs during weeks 1 - 3.

My new running shoes were chosen by the local Running Room, a store for runners only but I will check out https://healthunlocked.com/couchto5k/posts/131047800/calf-muscle-pain to see what they have to say.

I'm hoping, expecting really, to be doing 10K for the Fall but am leery of injuring myself before the October runs come around.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Ah, the classic Bobkin sprint finish. Not done one of those for a while! Nicely done GB. Disgusting weather out there yesterday – I checked out Strava after my 55-miles on the bike and just the one person went over Bostal Road yesterday (and he did it twice). I wonder why... :lol:

Just the 20 minutes running after that, which was enough...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ah, the classic Bobkin sprint finish. Not done one of those for a while! Nicely done GB. Disgusting weather out there yesterday – I checked out Strava after my 55-miles on the bike and just the one person went over Bostal Road yesterday (and he did it twice). I wonder why... :lol:

Just the 20 minutes running after that, which was enough...

......I just became a Bobkin myself. 15 minutes swim bobbing up and down. Only got hit broadside the once. Excellent work by yourself and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] getting out and about for 3 hours yesterday morning.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Some hard core training going down right now. At the other end of the spectrum, I'm rather ashamed that my own preparations for a Sept marathon have simply ran out of steam: a planned 12 miles became a slow and rather terminal 9 miler today and I pulled the plug.

Just goes to show how we are all different: training and completing anything above 10K has always been a particular form of torture for yours truly so I'll now turn my attention back to trying keep at or near the front of the NSC Age Grade column by getting back some 5k form.

I'll 'enjoy' the longer stuff in a vicarious sort of way by reading the posts of those doing them with a tiny bit of envy but mostly admiration.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some hard core training going down right now. At the other end of the spectrum, I'm rather ashamed that my own preparations for a Sept marathon have simply ran out of steam: a planned 12 miles became a slow and rather terminal 9 miler today and I pulled the plug.

Just goes to show how we are all different: training and completing anything above 10K has always been a particular form of torture for yours truly so I'll now turn my attention back to trying keep at or near the front of the NSC Age Grade column by getting back some 5k form.

I'll 'enjoy' the longer stuff in a vicarious sort of way by reading the posts of those doing them with a tiny bit of envy but mostly admiration.

I'm similarly envious and struggling @GNT........injury has cleared up so no excuse there now, but other issues have become a complete distraction at the moment meaning my head just isn't in the right place, so this coupled with running being hard work due to lack of fitness is knocking me backwards. Will keep plugging away doing what I can though as I know a) it's a good release anyway, even when it's crap and b) it'll improve, it always does.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm similarly envious and struggling @GNT........injury has cleared up so no excuse there now, but other issues have become a complete distraction at the moment meaning my head just isn't in the right place, so this coupled with running being hard work due to lack of fitness is knocking me backwards. Will keep plugging away doing what I can though as I know a) it's a good release anyway, even when it's crap and b) it'll improve, it always does.

Good luck mate: with your pedigree you are bound to bounce back.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I'm sure you'll both be back sooner rather than later. You both have that 'never give up' mindset and I'm sure you'll keep plugging away and listening to advice to get it right. But it's got to be enjoyable – and if it is a real struggle then that's generally not the case. Keep at it and get ready to smash those goals either later in the year or in 2019. Your previous efforts are enough to give the rest of us a bit of inspiration – well, me at least*– so there's no way you can go hanging up the running shoes just yet!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good luck mate: with your pedigree you are bound to bounce back.

I'm sure you'll both be back sooner rather than later. You both have that 'never give up' mindset and I'm sure you'll keep plugging away and listening to advice to get it right. But it's got to be enjoyable – and if it is a real struggle then that's generally not the case. Keep at it and get ready to smash those goals either later in the year or in 2019. Your previous efforts are enough to give the rest of us a bit of inspiration – well, me at least*– so there's no way you can go hanging up the running shoes just yet!

Thanks - yeah I'll be fine......might have to adjust a few targets but no drama in the great scheme of things. I'll just have no chance of catching any of you ******s when I do get back :)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Thanks - yeah I'll be fine......might have to adjust a few targets but no drama in the great scheme of things. I'll just have no chance of catching any of you ******s when I do get back :)

Ha! I'm getting slower, so you'll have no problems there!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Didn't know you were sneaking in another marathon attempt. Will you still run it? My only plan for 2018 is 5k times. Mainly because I love the distance and secondly a 12 week targeted plan will take me to my Birthday when I'll see how near I get to the other side of 20" for the first time since 2009.

10 difficult seconds a mile to find from working on hills, intervals, disciplined tempo Parkruns, bike sessions..........

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Didn't know you were sneaking in another marathon attempt. Will you still run it? My only plan for 2018 is 5k times. Mainly because I love the distance and secondly a 12 week targeted plan will take me to my Birthday when I'll see how near I get to the other side of 20" for the first time since 2009.

10 difficult seconds a mile to find from working on hills, intervals, disciplined tempo Parkruns, bike sessions..........

You're right: it was sneaky. I was planning to do the Goodwood one in Sept but it was always a bit of a stretch - just a 12 week training window from a low base. Truth is that my heart wasn't really in it. So yes it's back to 5ks for me too - but I don't think I can match your regime - and I feel the NSC Age Grade title under threat.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You're right: it was sneaky. I was planning to do the Goodwood one in Sept but it was always a bit of a stretch - just a 12 week training window from a low base. Truth is that my heart wasn't really in it. So yes it's back to 5ks for me too - but I don't think I can match your regime - and I feel the NSC Age Grade title under threat.

You're in the driving seat. I'm 40 seconds off my sb at the moment. You only need to find 20 seconds to be safe.

If it doesn't feel right, just enjoy your running and target 2019.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here