Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Judge

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Whoa everyone. Let's not be a kangaroo court here.

This is a rumour.

Ps: I'd vouch for The Judge any day. Like others on here, I've enjoyed meeting the man. A honest gent and an Albion die hard. He's no Neanderthal fan or thug, he is a thoroughly decent and friendly chap.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I met The Judge on the Amex to Selhurst and back cycle ride for the REMF last September. A more gentle and down to Earth guy would be hard to find. He talked about the fact that the club were on his case, and that he'd had to alter the words of that Go Left thing as they were ready to ban him for incitement.

I'm sad for him if they have found a reason to remove him. I would love to know what it is that he is supposed to have done wrong.

Whoa everyone. Let's not be a kangaroo court here.

This is a rumour.

Ps: I'd vouch for The Judge any day. Like others on here, I've enjoyed meeting the man. A honest gent and an Albion die hard. He's no Neanderthal fan or thug, he is a thoroughly decent and friendly chap.

Even when I took us repeatedly down the wrong lane, or couldn't work out where we were, he was a smiling encouraging presence (go left right or left? :lolol:). When Brett M. was struggling (his own fault for getting on the sauce the previous day), it was The Judge who stopped us 3 from dropping him and letting him fend for himself, and also the The Judge who looked after [MENTION=3887]Uncle Spielberg[/MENTION] (good to see you again Saturday :thumbsup:) when he looked like he was going to collapse and we hadn't even got clear of the Croydon stench yet! A funny, generous, considerate man I'd say, and he can lay a fantastic lawn or put up a great fence in all!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think The Judge has been helped by the OP, and his subsequent comments.
Being portrayed as whiter than white instantly makes people suspicion that perhaps there's more to this than has so far been said.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I think the judge does a great job but perhaps there're worried about a certain degree of antagonism between fans as the season unravels. As people were leaving, The judge etc were singing "you stupid b@stards, there's more than one train" and then someone came back with... "We leave when we want, we paid our money, we leave when we want". Maybe they want to reduce that kind of friction. However, I for one think The club would be making a big mistake in banning him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the judge does a great job but perhaps there're worried about a certain degree of antagonism between fans as the season unravels. As people were leaving, The judge etc were singing "you stupid b@stards, there's more than one train" and then someone came back with... "We leave when we want, we paid our money, we leave when we want". Maybe they want to reduce that kind of friction. However, I for one think The club would be making a big mistake in banning him.

Slightly different than, 'Apparently he was intimidating fellow fans for his incessant singing'.

But if it ends there I'm still Team Judge.

I wonder what the steward involvement was, in this 'charged' atmosphere.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

If this is what the fuss is about, I too am team Judge. So much so that I'd say there's no case to answer m'Lud. Where it wouldn't be acceptable is if the singing at one's own fans included extremely bad language, especially if a single fan were picked upon to be the target of any vitriol. But this, if this is indeed what the issue is? This? This is, almost literally, nothing.

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
If this is what the fuss is about, I too am team Judge. So much so that I'd say there's no case to answer m'Lud. Where it wouldn't be acceptable is if the singing at one's own fans included extremely bad language, especially if a single fan were picked upon to be the target of any vitriol. But this, if this is indeed what the issue is? This? This is, almost literally, nothing.

One of his group, not the judge himself was doing the wanker sign towards the west stand, I know this because admittedly I was leaving during stoppage time and saw on the way out! :(

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
One of his group, not the judge himself was doing the wanker sign towards the west stand, I know this because admittedly I was leaving during stoppage time and saw on the way out! :(

This all about opinions, of course, but for me, this isn't close to justifying a ban either, unless the sign was clearly targeted at a single individual for a prolonged period of time (I.e. He wasn't just picking on an individual to emphasise his point before moving on to another individual, but instead was totally focused on one person) and was accompanied by personal verbal abuse.

It is a football match. Most people know that some fans consider it bad form to be part of a fire drill after a late second goal seals the game for the opposition. If those fans are part of the fire drill, they should expect some (reasonably gentle) personal abuse, imo. Nothing I've read so far oversteps the mark, imo.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This all about opinions, of course, but for me, this isn't close to justifying a ban either, unless the sign was clearly targeted at a single individual for a prolonged period of time (I.e. He wasn't just picking on an individual to emphasise his point before moving on to another individual, but instead was totally focused on one person) and was accompanied by personal verbal abuse.

It is a football match. Most people know that some fans consider it bad form to be part of a fire drill after a late second goal seals the game for the opposition. If those fans are part of the fire drill, they should expect some (reasonably gentle) personal abuse, imo. Nothing I've read so far oversteps the mark, imo.
But the minor infractions are being to mount up.
How much responsibility The Judge has in those, is another matter.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What about the fella who got banned initially for 'having a joke with a steward about a bag search'.
It turned out to be foul and abusive language of a sexual and racial nature.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Well, I didn't know it had been revealed to be of a sexual and racial nature, but I forgot about the example.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But the minor infractions are being to mount up.
How much responsibility The Judge has in those, is another matter.

Yeah, I see that point, but, tbh, I don't think we've arrived at even "a quiet word in the ear from the ref before a first yellow card" point yet. At least, not just from the 'boro game. Of course, it's possible the ref has remembered stuff from the "first half"', being prior games (sorry, I've started with the ref analogy and I'm going to stick with it), and he's reached a yellow under the totting up procedure.

I note your point about whether it's the judge or others, and I'm offering no view on that - I just have no knowledge.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The stewards positioned by the pitch exit between the North and East stands were paying rapt attention to the 'standing section' of the North throughout, much more so than usual, continually talking into their radios. They normally spend their time watching the game, chatting, flicking through a clip file containing pages of mugshots (presumably of banned fans) and watching the North, but not to the extent that they were on Saturday.

Maybe the North could be renamed The North Korea Stand, you could grass up your neighbour for not clapping loudly enough, and we could have a 12ft high mural (old school Communist style) of Paul Barber on the back wall.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
There is no way he is being banned for just singing, is there? Being loud isn't enough to be classed as intimidating and goodness knows The Amex has been like a morgue recently so it needs all the atmosphere it can get.

Calling fans stupid *******s for leaving early on the other hand is the sort of thing that could do it. All it needs is one meathead to take exception to that and bang, you have a problem

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The stewards positioned by the pitch exit between the North and East stands were paying rapt attention to the 'standing section' of the North throughout, much more so than usual, continually talking into their radios. They normally spend their time watching the game, chatting, flicking through a clip file containing pages of mugshots (presumably of banned fans) and watching the North, but not to the extent that they were on Saturday.

Maybe the North could be renamed The North Korea Stand, you could grass up your neighbour for not clapping loudly enough, and we could have a 12ft high mural (old school Communist style) of Paul Barber on the back wall.

Everyone will need a Paul Barber haircut soon

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Calling fans stupid *******s for leaving early on the other hand is the sort of thing that could do it. All it needs is one meathead to take exception to that and bang, you have a problem

I hope not. Unless it was done to a particular fan accompanied with some very unpleasant personal insults too. A generic "FFS, guys, stay and support the team" type message isn't worthy of a ban, Shirley?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Find this really strange, the Judge is a lovely bloke. Was seriously contemplating moving along to the NWC next season just for the amazing atmosphere he helps generate.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
the fan in question is a very good friend ofmine
I'm always sceptical of threads like this. Either that they are just fishing (such as the one that I thought was quite obviously a lie, but a lot of people seemed to fall for it, where he refused to produce a copy of the letter banning him, then it turned out no e had been banned, it's in the gold section I believe), or that there is only one side to the story (given how many people post on here with threads seemingly suggesting that there is something about not singing that makes you less of a fan and how we all need to join in makes it not much of a stretch to imagine some of those in the singing section going a bit too far, maybe having had a few too many not realising how aggressive they are coming off, trying to get others to join in).

Then I remember that thread of the guy who was banned after the palace match and eventually got it overturned, with that story involving the club supposedly ignoring other witnesses defending the guy, and I think maybe...

the fan in question is a very good friend of mine,yes he did get it all over turned as he fought his case with loads of witness and the help of a legal team,but he still missed nearly a whole season.
The club have had in in for julian for the last 2 seasons and until they can sort out a singing section then these problems will keep arising,i saw the judge sat night and he was pretty devastated and was told he will be getting letter in the post.,like to add the guy lives and breathes the albion as isnt a bad bone in his body

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Love the way that 4 pages have been generated by a rumour.
[MENTION=1405]Lego-Stand[/MENTION] where did this rumour come from?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here