Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Finished in 3:01:55 which I'm delighted with. Was on for sub 3 but my splits got progressively slower after mile 20. Struggling with calf cramps from mile 21 and keeled over at the finish line. Feel surprisingly fresh now though.

Got home and had an ice bath, now onto meal number 2 comprising a chicken wrap.

Dilemma of running London now or running Brighton again. I would like to do London as an experience but my family love the day out in Brighton.

How long until Brighton sells out normally? I hope to dwell on it for a week until London is over.

Great run, a time that most of us can only dream of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Finished in 3:01:55 which I'm delighted with. Was on for sub 3 but my splits got progressively slower after mile 20. Struggling with calf cramps from mile 21 and keeled over at the finish line. Feel surprisingly fresh now though.

Dilemma of running London now or running Brighton again. I would like to do London as an experience but my family love the day out in Brighton.

How long until Brighton sells out normally? I hope to dwell on it for a week until London is over.

Wowza, that’s phenomenal. Well done. Am I right in thinking you’re the fastest NSCer?

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I had a shocking start as couldn't find anywhere to park in kemp town and ended up half way up freshfield Rd. By the time I walked to the level is 9:20 so ended up running to PP. After I'd dropped my bag I had to run down to the sub 4 coral all of which added 2 miles onto my run. So with the 26.2 and the earlier 2 can I say I've run an ultra?

The run itself was going ok till mile 16 when I started getting cramp no actually more like seizures in my calf. Had to stop and stretch it out and managed to get some salt which helped but really tough going today. But as ever the support was amazing and on reflection it's another marathon bagged with a time of 3:50 so I've got to be happy with that.

Sorry I missed you all beforehand. Oakham citra session ale sure tastes good right now.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
3:51:33 for me. Happy (very) with that, for my first marathon at age 62, given that I had no real idea what to expect. Loved it for the most part, and although it was hard at the end, it wasn’t as bad as many people had led me to believe. My splits were fairly steady throughout except for the last 5 km where they fell back quite a bit and my legs really hurt (but not to the point where I felt I needed to stop, or walk).

Thought the weather was perfect and the crowd support really good, although I also enjoyed the quieter stretches. Saw [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] a couple of times on the Ovingdean leg and we had a brief chat, but I don’t know any other NSC runners by sight.

Well done all those who ran!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I thought you did well, as it was looking tight at the 40k split, but you picked it up by over a minute a kilometre until the finish.
Are you gonna concentrate on the short stuff now?

Sprint triathlons. Hill running when I can run again. Training for Worthing and Phoenix 10K up to July. Then down to 5k for a SB attempt August time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I would just like to say that I am not putting any ******* marathon pbs, sbs, times in the table, however well you all did.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Good effort [MENTION=13836]deletebeepbeepbeep[/MENTION] - put me to the sword! I had a bit of a horror show that ended with cramp with three miles left, preceded by numerous ligament twinges throughout the race. In the end I was just happy to justify my starting pen with a 3:29:23.

I did not enjoy the marathon experience one bit.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Wow, amazing time. Well run

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
50.28 for me in the little run. My second fastest 10K ever which I'm well happy with considering they've incorporated that b'stard hill on to the course. Even more happy with my splits. Forgot to turn them on to KMs so was measured per mile but they were 8.09 / 8.08 / 8.09 / 7.53 / 8.04 / 8.10 and then at 7.38 pace for the last quarter, giving me a faster second 5k then first.

Shouted on a load of contestants. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] managed to ignore me at the Sea Life Centre roundabout and also cheered home [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION], [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] in the final stretch, though I doubt anyone noticed, given I was buried three deep in the crowd and enjoying a well earned pint.

Well done to [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] who posted an excellent time and was looking very strong at the end and a final mention to a great effort by the GDC 10K crew.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Ow, ow, ow, bloody ow!

I'd only run the one marathon before under rhino conditions so I had no idea what my "real" time was. I wanted sub-5 (I'm a jogger really) but in my first normal marathon I made the basic mistake of running like a pillock, setting off like a train and lapping up the crowd. Did the first half in 2:15 and then at 16 miles my leg fell off. Finally waddled in at 5:05. Probably shouldn't have stopped to chat to a friend outside Cheetah's Gym but what the hell? As the pain got worse I reconciled myself to missing the target, plodded along and enjoyed the crowd. Still had a fantastic time and will be back in 2019 with my rhino friend. I actually preferred running with the rhino. Takes all the pressure off and you get to be a celebrity for the day.

Anyway, a question for the running community here. My wife (4:01:07 today - she's the runner) recently got her first pair of Runderwear. She absolutely loves them and I was looking to get some men's boxers. However, my wife says she is a size larger than her usual with Runderwear, as they are tight around the thighs. I checked the sizes at the event village and they seemed as per my usual size but I was wondering if any of you guys had bought some? If so, what are your thoughts on sizing?

Over to you NSC. Let's discuss smalls.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
3.57.59 for me, my second best effort over the distance. Just about 6 minutes outside my best. I set off on the 4.20 train so did much better than I planned. 8.59 average pace, pretty consistent splits apart from the final 3 miles which were tough. Great support as ever from the crowds, if I can stay fully fit for the rest of the year and kick on a little I think there's another PB in there for me... Respect to everyone who took part.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Fantastic time. Amazing.

London is a brilliant, brilliant day out, would recommend anyone does it once. Brighton will claim to be sold out quite soon (a few weeks usually) but then in October, just after the London ballot results are known coincidentally (haha) more places will miraculously become available........so I wouldn’t worry about getting in. With your time today, they’ll probably offer you a championship start as well (VIP loos etc). Obviously you can get into London with that time as a GFA anyway.....

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I got round in 3:27:53.

I was on for a PB but hit the wall for the first time ever at mile 24. I slowed to a walk for 3/4 of a mile which proved costly. Never mind. Well done to everyone else who took part and especially the crowds for the support. By gees I needed it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
3:51:33 for me. Happy (very) with that, for my first marathon at age 62,

It’s never too late! And a great time as well. Well done!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
3:51:33 for me. Happy (very) with that, for my first marathon at age 62, given that I had no real idea what to expect. Loved it for the most part, and although it was hard at the end, it wasn’t as bad as many people had led me to believe. My splits were fairly steady throughout except for the last 5 km where they fell back quite a bit and my legs really hurt (but not to the point where I felt I needed to stop, or walk).

That is a tremendous run. To put it in to context our mate who ran sub 1:30 at the Brighton half and runs every day blew up on the course and put in a very similar time and he'd be nearly 20 years your junior. Bask in that time.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
This was by far the most hard Brighton marathon I’ve ever run. My feet swelled up for some reason (and my hands) which made every step at the end painful. Got through in 4h 22m so over half an hour longer than my best time. Great atmosphere though. Nothing beats the support on the street. Noticed a few too many Palace shirts amongst the runners though. Have to say a big thank you to all the volunteers who were all brilliant.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
First of all congratulations to everyone who took part - some amazing times there - and big thanks if you were out there volunteering or supporting. The support was AMAZING and really showed to me how doing your home Marathon is difficult to better.

I set out with one aim (even through my training) and that was to finish with a smile because I had showed myself I can run 26.2 miles. I thought I might sneak under 4 but that was not the aim - so absolutely delighted with 3:54:26. Most importantly I can say I loved it ....even Basin road. Ok the last couple of miles were hard but the crowd got me through that. I enjoyed the bits in town, the quieter bits and even the quiet walk home along the sea front (where I just saw the last four finishers coming through Hove). Maybe, just maybe it’s setting out with that mental state that results in a performance that exceeds expectation.

Absolutely buzzing now - helped no doubt by a couple of hours in the Brunswick.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
First of all congratulations to everyone who took part - some amazing times there - and big thanks if you were out there volunteering or supporting. The support was AMAZING and really showed to me how doing your home Marathon is difficult to better.

I set out with one aim (even through my training) and that was to finish with a smile because I had showed myself I can run 26.2 miles. I thought I might sneak under 4 but that was not the aim - so absolutely delighted with 3:54:26. Most importantly I can say I loved it ....even Basin road. Ok the last couple of miles were hard but the crowd got me through that. I enjoyed the bits in town, the quieter bits and even the quiet walk home along the sea front (where I just saw the last four finishers coming through Hove). Maybe, just maybe it’s setting out with that mental state that results in a performance that exceeds expectation.

Absolutely buzzing now - helped no doubt by a couple of hours in the Brunswick.

Out of everyone I saw today you looked the freshest at various points. A lot to be said for a relaxed mindset, you burn less nervous energy and much more likely to get decent nights sleep in the build up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here