Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mental health. Please talk to others.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry to hear of your loss.Mental health definitely needs a massive investment from somewhere.
But in the meantime, having the population be open and talk about it will help. If we can reach a point where it's the norm to talk about your problems, and your friends know to listen and how to recommend help, we'll have taken great strides without it costing a fortune or taking decades.

I like the fact that some of our posters feel able to discuss their problems on here. It must also help for other here to see they're not alone.

Mental health is so complicated and, IMO, difficult for many of us to really understand. The more it's talked about, the more we can all learn, and the more we can all help.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It may also be that they aren't the right ones for you [MENTION=17215]Sussex Nomad[/MENTION] - i'm on my 3rd different one to find a type and dosage that works for me.

To be fair i don't think there's any medication that can help you :lolol:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Hope it works for you mate. Yes (I am not a doctor) generally a review after 4 to 6 weeks I believe is normal to assess and review the dosage. I cant take Sertraline for various reasons but 50mg isnt the highest dosage you can take but as said hope it works for you, Unfortunately for some SSRIs to work you often feel worse before you feel better. I just had to double the dosage of one of my meds and **** it felt awful but I think its starting to work somewhat now

Mate ? Shes a woman

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
A woman can be a mate. My best mate has been my best mate for 50 years.

They can, i personally wouldn't use that term when addressing a female friend from a males prospective

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
They can but i wouldn't use that term when addressing a female friend from a males prospective

I don't mind, and maffew wasn't to know. Most people presume that all posters are male on a football forum, unless you have feminine username.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Mate ? Shes a woman

Have you nothing to better to do with your time? I dont know Thunderbolt and neither know or care if Thunderbolt is a man or a woman was just offering my experience neither do I care if if a woman or man I address to as mate. Prick. This is a grown ups thread so do jog on

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Have you nothing to better to do with your time? I dont know Thunderbolt and neither know or care if Thunderbolt is a man or a woman was just offering my experience neither do I care if if a woman or man I address to as mate. Prick. This is a grown ups thread so do jog on

Quite clearly you need to increase your dosage :smile:

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I would recommend this training (ASIST) if anyone can persuade an employer, raise sponsorship or can fund it themselves. Two day course is £215- £239:

http://www.prevent-suicide.org.uk/asist_suicide_intervention_skills_training_course.html

I've done it and would recommend it, having lost a close friend to paracetamol overdose, and working in adult social care.

The course should be thought as emergency mental health first aid in the same way that we acknowledge St Johns' emergency physical first aid.

It is important to recognise someone who is contemplating suicide may offer verbal "invitations". These are the opportunities for you to talk about it with them, often something off-key that your gut feeling will notice. Sadly, we are all "busy" and dismissive or not actively listening all the time (we're all human) but if you feel what they say seems off, it probably is. The hardest thing is to ask them the S word. But you'll probably find it'll be a relief for them - then to talk about it can hugely helpful.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
[MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1557]maffew[/MENTION] stop it. You are both making me feel bad now. It's not worth arguing about.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
There's a very good article/interview in the Guardian today about Chris Kirkland. "I couldn't wait to go to bed, and then I didn't want to wake up in the morning."
I guess it helps illustrate that, if you have tendencies towards mental health problems, the possibly turbulent and uncertain nature of a career in Football and its associated pressures may not be the best place to be.

And the fans - or possibly fear of what fans might think - obviously got to him. It made me think what effect people on here might have had on CMS, or Ashley Barnes, or Chris O'Grady or more recently even people like Maty Ryan, Davy Propper and Pascal Gross with unfair, damning and often unjustified criticism

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/11/chris-kirkland-depression-interview

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here