Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Promotion to the PL was worth £200M, or so we kept being reminded.....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am not a financial whizz but how does the plan to get relegated take the parachute money and get promoted again within 2 seasons stack up financially. Could this be CH orders or plan?.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I think you might have missed the point. During that period we spent silly money, particularly on contracts, trying to stay up. It was the catalyst for Archer, Bellotti, Hereford etc. Yet we still have idiots suggesting we should just spend big in hope it keeps us up. Errrr ..... no thanks. If we go down then we go down but we still have a club to support .... we nearly didn't previously.

I believe that the tragic death of Keith Wickenden and Mike Bamber having a heart attack, then being diagnosed with cancer shortly after. This leading him to take his money out of the club and retire to the Isle of Wight, had a huge impact on the club so shortly after our relegation. It wasn't all in my opinion down to the huge contracts. In fact it is reported that the club made a profit that relegation season and addressed the situation of high salaries by selling the players drawing them.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yes, the one who absolutely flopped at England, Liverpool & Fulham to name but a few.

Even Pardew would have got a tune out of the Palace squad.

but didnt get a chance...it was hodgson who did it..or are you not prepared to give him any credit for turning it round at all?

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I am not a financial whizz but how does the plan to get relegated take the parachute money and get promoted again within 2 seasons stack up financially. Could this be CH orders or plan?.

Top post.
Don't spend any more on players, sell some of the current squad and save / make around £50m. Get relegated - lose £100m but gain £50m parachute payments. Then get promoted again for another £100m.
I think that makes us £100m up
Doesn't it?......

Brilliant BG[emoji106].

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sets the club back 2+ years in building a squad to establish itself in the PL.

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
but didnt get a chance...it was hodgson who did it..or are you not prepared to give him any credit for turning it round at all?

After watching the old fool in charge of England all that time NO I give him no credit, any ok manager would have got better out of the Palace squad than the useless FDB!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
After watching the old fool in charge of England all that time NO I give him no credit, any ok manager would have got better out of the Palace squad than the useless FDB!

Well good for you.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013

As someone who has actually watched every Palace game this season, I can assure you that Roy deserves a hell of a lot of credit for turning this side around. Yes, we've got a talented bunch of players. Yes, Zaha would probably keep any PL side in the division by himself. Yes, De Boer was underperforming massively. However, the squad Roy inherited was totally bereft of confidence and were shipping goals constantly. He went back to basics and slowly built up the belief that we could be a match for anyone.

From a tactical point of view, the way Roy set the side up to face Chelsea and City - especially with the injury crisis we've been experiencing - was nothing short of genius.

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
To have two 34+ year olds playing in the PL is too much of a burden for the other players, between them they cost us 4 pts v Everton & Burnley on their own.

I wonder what happened to all the money (£200M), as we haven't been brave enough to use it on the team, and it is the one disappointing aspect of the season, poor at Board level imho?

The £200m figures are false really. What you get is an amount of money plus a PL shares certificate. Upon relegation the certificate is presented back to the PL which enables the club to receive 3 years of cash, maybe 70, 20, 15. That's how it was explained to me by our Chairman 5 years ago. Could've changed in that time though.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I'm hoping that someone has pointed out to this kneejerk moron that we only receive 40% of his figure if we are relegated.

****in' hell: what a spanner.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
I'm hoping that someone has pointed out to this kneejerk moron that we only receive 40% of his figure if we are relegated.

****in' hell: what a spanner.

If we’re relegated we’ll still receive around 100m in TV money alone this season, which added to the increased value of sponsorship and advertising, plus the usual 12-13m from ticket sales, will give an income in the region of 120-130m. Parachute payments of 45m and 35m in seasons 1 and 2 after relegation give the figure of 200m, so the thread starter is correct I’m that sense.

Still a load of knee jerk bedwettery though.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He's a gambler alright, he often risks all on the "River Card'!! (For the benefit of the illiterate) Sussex Nomad punk:

Only when the probability is in his favour.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If we’re relegated we’ll still receive around 100m in TV money alone this season, which added to the increased value of sponsorship and advertising, plus the usual 12-13m from ticket sales, will give an income in the region of 120-130m. Parachute payments of 45m and 35m in seasons 1 and 2 after relegation give the figure of 200m, so the thread starter is correct I’m that sense.

Still a load of knee jerk bedwettery though.

The Albion's Championship business model gives an annual accounting loss of £25m to £35m. Not just figures in a set of accounts, but real world net cash outflows, generously bankrolled by TB.

The vast bulk of the £45m and £35m will be spent covering those huge losses, temporarily giving us small profits for 2 years. Therefore giving TB a restbite from putting his hands in his pockets yet again.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Now Norwich have not got back to the premership they need to now sell players as the parachute payments have run out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here