Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Plane gone down in the French Alps?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Dont be daft, it was in response, as you know to 'There could be a terrorist motive regardless of his religion or ethnicity' in that context my point stands, you slicing part of a sentence doesn't offer much.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Tremendous level of information being given out by the French prosecutor. Over here all we would get is 'let's wait for the full investigation is complete' bla bla bla..come back in 2 years

Not sure about that because the airlines cannot have the confidence to fly planes if the aircraft safety is in doubt. The sooner they can point to pilot error or deliberate act the better. I don't think there is any benefit to withholding this information if they are certain about what happened.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
On flight MH370 it is said the captain had a flight simulator in his home,however when investigators removed it for analysis all the information had been wiped. Now i don't know who was in charge of the investigation was it the Malaysian Govenment,independant investigators etc,but data recovery is a major business practice,therefore was this simulator witheld from such a business for forensic analysis ?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
But you must concede that it would be a reasonable assumption if that co-pilot was a Muslim, it would not of course be definitive but a line of investigation would be entirely appropriate.

It's a flawed comparison to then site a white European doing something similar would not then command similar scrutiny because there isnt a link between white Europeans being exclusively mad, you could quite easily have a madman of any ethnicity, religion or gender, that is far more random and nearly unquantifiable, its totally irrelevant.

Whereas recent history has shown that airlines up until recently have quite spectacularly been targeted by Islamists, the profile of the co-pilot would then reasonably be examined on lines of religion as well as other things.

It doesnt make those investigations racist or prejudiced in anyway, its a wholly appropriate way to investigate this tragedy.

Whilst I don't disagree entirely I take umbrage at your last statement, they/we may not be consiously prejudice but there are undeniable inconsistencies.

Take the 'terrorist' Australian cafe hostage siege recently compare it to Anders Breivik's 'massacre.' Both the actions of ciminally insane ideologically and racially driven indivduals yet only one was considered terrorist by the mainstream media.

Surely if the Australian cafe siege is terrorism then this is terrorism - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mold-tesco-picture-zack-davies-4991788, what is the difference in intent between what this young man and the murderers of Lee Rigby?

And this story was written off as being a 'parking dispute' when it has all the hallmarks of a racially motivated, terrorist attack - http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rs-gunman-muslim-students-craig-stephen-hicks. If a muslim had killed three white Americans in cold blood, it would be branded terrorist.

Hence my original point that the single most important factor in the eyes of world as to whether this is terrorism or not is the ethnicity of the perpetrators. We are far more ready to accept a lone wolf argument if the perpetrator is not a muslim, if an atrocity is comitted by a muslim is de facto terrorism.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I don't think anyone would ever thought this possible,a German alway so organised,cool,etc.

Quite right. Every single one of 80 million-odd people within a certain border conforms with a stereotype which should render events like this impossible. They're in no way a bunch of individual human beings, potentially susceptible to the same mental fragility or perhaps bad influences as other person in any other country.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Tremendous level of information being given out by the French prosecutor. Over here all we would get is 'let's wait for the full investigation is complete' bla bla bla..come back in 2 years

I think I'm right in saying that that's to do with the different legal system: these prosecuting magistrates firstly gather information to do with the case and whilst doing so exercise a great deal of power. Here there's no real onus on the state to gather information other than as part of the prosecution case which then gets presented in court.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

France is not a nanny state

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It seems to happen quite a lot. I suppose when people are so low that they want to kill themselves, it often leads to misanthropy.

It will be interesting to see what his mental state was as it transpires.

What will we learn as it transpires? That someone already suspected he was suicidal, but let him fly? Unlikely.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Whilst I don't disagree entirely I take umbrage at your last statement, they/we may not be consiously prejudice but there are undeniable inconsistencies.

Take the 'terrorist' Australian cafe hostage siege recently compare it to Anders Breivik's 'massacre.' Both the actions of ciminally insane ideologically and racially driven indivduals yet only one was considered terrorist by the mainstream media.

Surely if the Australian cafe siege is terrorism then this is terrorism - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mold-tesco-picture-zack-davies-4991788, what is the difference in intent between what this young man and the murderers of Lee Rigby?

And this story was written off as being a 'parking dispute' when it has all the hallmarks of a racially motivated, terrorist attack - http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...rs-gunman-muslim-students-craig-stephen-hicks. If a muslim had killed three white Americans in cold blood, it would be branded terrorist.

Hence my original point that the single most important factor in the eyes of world as to whether this is terrorism or not is the ethnicity of the perpetrators. We are far more ready to accept a lone wolf argument if the perpetrator is not a muslim, if an atrocity is comitted by a muslim is de facto terrorism.

Yup. You can be sure that if he is a Muslim that this will be in the headlines in the papers, otherwise his ethnicity/religious affiliations will not be mentioned. eg: "Muslim Co-Pilot deliberately crashed plane into Alps", rather than "Co-Pilot deliberately crashed plane into Alps".

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It's the age of surveillance - they will almost certainly uncover things that indicate that he was disturbed, even if his friends & family weren't aware.

To commit a crime like this the perpetrator has to gain a position of trust and will always portray themselves as charming as part of their act, even to family and friends.

For all we know it may have always been a fantasy of his and planned for many years. He started off as a flight attendant and worked his way up through the industry.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It's the age of surveillance - they will almost certainly uncover things that indicate that he was disturbed, even if his friends & family weren't aware.

I doubt "they" will tell us, though.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yup. You can be sure that if he is a Muslim that this will be in the headlines in the papers, otherwise his ethnicity/religious affiliations will not be mentioned. eg: "Muslim Co-Pilot deliberately crashed plane into Alps", rather than "Co-Pilot deliberately crashed plane into Alps".

" icelandic widow inadvertantly crashes plane into alps!!"

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Quite right. Every single one of 80 million-odd people within a certain border conforms with a stereotype which should render events like this impossible. They're in no way a bunch of individual human beings, potentially susceptible to the same mental fragility or perhaps bad influences as other person in any other country.

MoH, i was and are not wishing to appear flippant but the German character has always appeared as a strong and posistive one to me,sure you can never include everyone,but surely has this news not even taken you by surprise ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Perhaps he was only following orders?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
MoH, i was and are not wishing to appear flippant but the German character has always appeared as a strong and posistive one to me,sure you can never include everyone,but surely has this news not even taken you by surprise ?

Really? The suicide rate in Germany is higher than that of the UK and higher than all of the supposedly doom-laden Scandinavian countries: this is the country of Werther, after all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here