Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pep Guardiola's yellow ribbon

Lush

Mods' Pet
Pep Guardiola is being charged by the FA for wearing a yellow ribbon in the dugout in support of imprisoned politicians in Catalonia.

"Before a manager, I am a human being," the 47-year-old Spaniard said.

"They [the FA] know I'll wear the yellow ribbon always. It's not about politicians, it's about democracy; it's about helping the people who didn't do absolutely anything."

I wonder how this one will pan out? It will be interesting to see how far the FA go with this - or if eventually football comes before politics for Guardiola.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Personally I think it's pretty pathetic from the FA but nothing every surprises me from them. It's also rather strange they don't allow it but UEFA do !

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Pep Guardiola is being charged by the FA for wearing a yellow ribbon in the dugout in support of imprisoned politicians in Catalonia.

"Before a manager, I am a human being," the 47-year-old Spaniard said.

"They [the FA] know I'll wear the yellow ribbon always. It's not about politicians, it's about democracy; it's about helping the people who didn't do absolutely anything."

I wonder how this one will pan out? It will be interesting to see how far the FA go with this - or if eventually football comes before politics for Guardiola.

It's something that Pep believes in, and rightly so, he should be allowed to wear it.
It's not interfering with anything, it's only the Muppets in the FA have something to moan about.
Similar to the Poppy gate episode a while back, always someone having to stick their snout in where it's not wanted.

F1 has so many adverts plastered all over their cars, even football kits are becoming advertisement boards.
It's logos being used for gain, whether political or not.
Who really cares these days :shrug:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Don't see any issue with it myself - no different than wearing a poppy to show your support for a cause.

Sad that football seems happy to allow corporate sponsorship of every sodding possible thing, then the FA get arsey over a ribbon.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It's something that Pep believes in, and rightly so, he should be allowed to wear it.
It's not interfering with anything, it's only the Muppets in the FA have something to moan about.
Similar to the Poppy gate episode a while back, always someone having to stick their snout in where it's not wanted.

F1 has so many adverts plastered all over their cars, even football kits are becoming advertisement boards.

It does seem a bit ridiculous. You can advertise a company on your shirt thst chargers thousands of percent interest on loans and yet you can't West a ribbon or a poppy. Double standards.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I have noticed him wearing the yellow ribbon, but I though it was promoting a charity, shows how much I know.
I wonder how many people also didn't know what the ribbon was for, or had actually noticed it. Point is I know now and I think he is correct to wear something that he believes in.

Watch any football match these days and get bombarded with adverts for betting companies.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have noticed him wearing the yellow ribbon, but I though it was promoting a charity, shows how much I know.
I wonder how many people also didn't know what the ribbon was for, or had actually noticed it. Point is I know now and I think he is correct to wear something that he believes in.

Watch any football match these days and get bombarded with adverts for betting companies.

Another one that didn't know what it was for :wave: - the FA have done a grand job promoting the cause ! Doh :facepalm:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Don't see any issue with it myself - no different than wearing a poppy to show your support for a cause.

Sad that football seems happy to allow corporate sponsorship of every sodding possible thing, then the FA get arsey over a ribbon.

Hmm. One argument is that because Pep believes in the cause, he should be allowed to wear it, another that it's the same as wearing a poppy.

I think it's way more complicated than that.

Let's take the "he should be able to wear whatever symbol he likes to support whatever cause he wants" argument first. I assume then that you'd have no problem with him wearing either of these symbols if he believed in the cause they represent?

kkk.png
Anti_Gay_and_Lesbian_movements_sign.gif

If you'd object, surely you'd be guilty of hypocrisy? "he can wear whatever he likes, providing he doesn't wear something I object to" can't be the basis of a policy.

Secondly, the yellow ribbon really isn't the same as a poppy. A reasonable interpretation of a poppy is rembrance. Remembering the war dead is, in and of itself, not a political statement. Sure, you can make it a political statement if you so choose, but there is a valid non-political interpretation. Not so with the yellow ribbon in the context of Pep's admitted usage. It shows either support for Catalan independence from Spain &/or support for the Catalan politicians who have been imprisoned by the Spanish Government because of their support of Catalan independence. Whichever way you cut it - it is a political statement and nothing else.

Pep wearing a political symbol that will be seen by hundreds of millions (billions?) of people in just about every country in the world has to be a big problem for the FA (and maybe Sky/BT?)

I don't see that the FA has any choice but to say "No political symbols", no matter how much in agreement with the sentiment expressed by the symbol any individual may be.

Edit: sorry about the size of the images - not intentional.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Manchester City supporters now wearing the ribbons in support. Suggest that fans of other clubs, like us, should join them, at least when visiting the Etihad.

Oh, and make your own - don't let this become another money stream for outside the ground rip-off merchants!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hmm. One argument is that because Pep believes in the cause, he should be allowed to wear it, another that it's the same as wearing a poppy.

Let's take the "he should be able to wear whatever symbol he likes to support whatever cause he wants" argument first. I assume then that you'd have no problem with him wearing either of these symbols if he believed in the cause they represent?

View attachment 94517
View attachment 94518

If you'd object, surely you'd be guilty of hypocrisy? "he can wear whatever he likes, providing he doesn't wear something I object to" can't be the basis of a policy.

Secondly, the yellow ribbon really isn't the same as a poppy. A reasonable interpretation of a poppy is rembrance. Remembering the war dead is, in and of itself, not a political statement. Sure, you can make it a political statement if you so choose, but there is a valid non-political interpretation. Not so with the yellow ribbon in the context of Pep's admitted usage. It shows either support for Catalan independence from Spain &/or support for the Catalan politicians who have been imprisoned by the Spanish Government because of their support of Catalan independence. Whichever way you cut it - it is a political statement and nothing else.

Pep wearing a political symbol that will be seen by hundreds of millions (billions?) of people in just about every country in the world has to be a big problem for the FA (and maybe Sky/BT?)

I don't see that the FA has any choice but to say "No political symbols", no matter how much in agreement with the sentiment expressed by the symbol any individual may be.

I here what you're saying, its just I think one should be able to show their support for what you believe in, within reason.
I'm talking of peaceful reasons and not political gain.

IMAGES ARE FINE BTW :wink:

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun

View attachment 94517
View attachment 94518

Or what if Pep was wearing either the red rose of labour or the conservative tree thing? There might be a few different opinions then ...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Personally I think it's pretty pathetic from the FA but nothing every surprises me from them. It's also rather strange they don't allow it but UEFA do !

it's an UEFA (or FIFA?) rule being enforced. no political symbols or slogans. i dont know why any one thinks its a bad rule, if we allow a few then we open the door to all sorts of political messages in football.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

View attachment 94517
View attachment 94518

IF Pepe supported the KKK (which I believe he doesn't), then I would expect that all major European clubs would not employ him, given the racist connections with the KKK and the clear issues it would raise with team selection not being based on talent but being based on colour.

Perhaps you would like to test you theory of acceptance and attend the Arsenal home game in full KKK uniform.

You know the difference between the two, and a better example would perhaps have been wearing a United Ireland emblem, or Scottish (full) Independence emblem.

Still I will give you a wave when I spot your KKK uniform on Sunday

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
.....or the purple of UKIP - that would have large numbers of NSC spitting feathers!

Not really, it would just mark out the manager as some sort of bell end. In fact you'll probably find Alan Pardew dressed in something purple some time soon.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not really, it would just mark out the manager as some sort of bell end. In fact you'll probably find Alan Pardew dressed in something purple some time soon.

Wrong sort of independence for you then? Catalonia OK, but................

I won't bother giving you marks out of ten for consistency..............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here