Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory party annual conference Birmingham

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Do you really think that? I knew before the vote and I'm even more sure now.

Out of the single market/ability to do trade deals with other countries independently
Control of our laws
Control of our borders and immigration

I think most people would come up with the same headline big 3 with little difficulty.

That's what people want from it - that's not necessarily what it'll be though, which I think is the point he was trying to make.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not true. In the first stage of the election, Crabb, Fox and Gove didn't get enough votes so they didn't go through (but they didn't quit).

The final stage of the election would have been between May and Leadsom (and Leadsom quit). But, if she had stood she'd have been completely drubbed. She had no chance once she came out with that stuff about May not understanding family concerns because she wasn't a mother. But Leadsom wouldn't have quit if she'd had a remote chance of winning

I stand corrected. Still eventually elected unopposed though, regardless of the circumstances hardly a great advert for democracy.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That's what people want from it - that's not necessarily what it'll be though, which I think is the point he was trying to make.

Well Chequers delivers this although there is some argument over the freedom to make other trade deals and control over our laws. Boris' solution is clearer cut on these 3.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
After Corbyn's speech last week, there were plenty of people on here decrying his 'fantasy' economics and the 'magic money tree' even though he explained where the money would come from. Yes, it was a bit back of the envelope and we needed further detail but at least he set out some element of financial planning,

On the other hand, we have May's speech in which she promised to lift the cap on social housing (no idea what that will cost but it must be getting on for a couple of billion quid). She's previously promised to spend £20 billion on the NHS and has now promised to spend more on education and build more schools. And of course, there's the £120m for the Brexit festival.

Where's the money coming from? She doesn't mention that - the only thing she does mention is a freeze on fuel duty (costing nearly a billion a year). Throw in the fact that she's contemplating a 'no deal' Brexit with its attendant costs (something Labour is definitely against) and we realise that she doesn't need a magic money tree but a magic money forest.

And yet, Tories are the party of sound money. Go figure

There is a budget on 29th October. I dare say further details will be given at that time.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I stand corrected. Still eventually elected unopposed though, regardless of the circumstances hardly a great advert for democracy.

You have to remember that, at the time, Tory MPs were heavily pro-Remain (they're still in the majority, even now) and they'd have tended to vote for a Remainer. It's true that many thought that in the circumstances, a Brexiteer would have been better but Leadsom's musings on motherhood appalled most of these waverers. If there had been an election, May would have got at least 80% of the votes.

You have to also remember that there was a feeling that the country needed to push on with Brexit and needed a new leader before the summer recess, an election that was a foregone conclusion would have just delayed things.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You have to remember that, at the time, Tory MPs were heavily pro-Remain (they're still in the majority, even now) and they'd have tended to vote for a Remainer. It's true that many thought that in the circumstances, a Brexiteer would have been better but Leadsom's musings on motherhood appalled most of these waverers. If there had been an election, May would have got at least 80% of the votes.

You have to also remember that there was a feeling that the country needed to push on with Brexit and needed a new leader before the summer recess, an election that was a foregone conclusion would have just delayed things.

I also fundamentally think they realised May was the right women for the job. She clearly works her nuts off in the job and in many respects is a great PM, just sadly not much polish to her public appearance.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There is a budget on 29th October. I dare say further details will be given at that time.

I'm sure but the point I'm making is that there was plenty of outcry on here about Corbyn's plans even though he laid out some elements of costing - if vague on the details. But May didn't even give any hints at all and gets a free pass.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
From Albion fan, Jon Snow:

[tweet]1047108692137652224[/tweet]

f0a958ce65360d60c64102a8f40df5e8.jpg

This might be something to do with it!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
To be honest I don't blame her. Might as well be interviewed by Karl Marx.
What a ridiculous comment, for all manner of reasons. She is Prime Minister FFS. What are we coming to if Channel 4 can't send their political editor to interview the PM at her own party conference.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I also fundamentally think they realised May was the right women for the job.

Yes, I think this is true. She was certainly streets ahead of the other candidates. Not sure about a great PM though - her decision to call a general election is one of the biggest mistakes I can remember a PM making. That's caused no end of problems and her decision to get into bed with the DUP is an even worse one - it's been the biggest barrier to negotiating a Brexit deal. I can't think of another PM in my lifetime who'd have contemplated such a deal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What a ridiculous comment, for all manner of reasons. She is Prime Minister FFS. What are we coming to if Channel 4 can't send their political editor to interview the PM at her own party conference.

She has done BBC and ITV, the two main channels. How many does she need to do?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yes, I think this is true. She was certainly streets ahead of the other candidates. Not sure about a great PM though - her decision to call a general election is one of the biggest mistakes I can remember a PM making. That's caused no end of problems and her decision to get into bed with the DUP is an even worse one - it's been the biggest barrier to negotiating a Brexit deal. I can't think of another PM in my lifetime who'd have contemplated such a deal.

Calling a general election was a mistake clearly but I would argue that is not what her job as PM is. That is campaigning and her inability in that is very clear. She is clearly a very good operator in Government.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Oh I don't know, how about the same number as the previous PM, the one before that, the one before that and the one before that?

The TV world is changing, viewing figures for the core channels are dropping, channel 4 included. Provided she does enough on all platforms to get the message across why does she need to be on channel 4? It's a digital world now, it could be argued that she should only do the BBC, then maybe Sky and Amazon or Netflix, plus a facebook interview.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here