Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread 2018

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Hi Darren

We Chose The Wilderness is brilliant, really powerful and much bolder than your previous albums. I love Undersong very much, has hints of Joy Division (one of my favorite bands).
I had a bit of a Damselfy evening in my kitchen last night, played all 3 albums whilst doing the week's washing up .... I know how to live :O
Best Wishes
Margaret
x

Hi Margaret,

Sorry for the late response, been away in deepest North Wales for a couple of weeks taking a break from all things internet etc. Really pleased you like the new album, it is a bit of a bolder departure I agree. Huge fan of Joy Division myself and always an honour to be mentioned in anywhere near the same breath, cheers. Hope the session helped with the washing up and that no crockery was broken, there's only so much rock'n'roll one can take eh ;)

x

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Anyone on the new Julia Holter album yet? It's fantastic of course (I reckon she's probably the best artist of this decade so far) but dense, complex, difficult abruptly ending the gradual popification of her work. Definite contender for my album of the year once I get to grips with it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hookworms have cancelled all future dates and split.

https://twitter.com/HOOKWORMS/status/1057725874378850310?s=19

Wow.
On a different note, this thread has been very quiet of late. My excuse is that I've had cashflow issues, and haven't bought any albums for a few months (I have a few lined up to get when the corner is turned, which isn't too far off).
As a result, I'm looking forward to any AotY lists, which should be forthcoming in a month or so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone on the new Julia Holter album yet? It's fantastic of course (I reckon she's probably the best artist of this decade so far) but dense, complex, difficult abruptly ending the gradual popification of her work. Definite contender for my album of the year once I get to grips with it.

Not yet, but I have bought a ticket for a gig in November. I do agree she’s an exceptional talent. I also think that live studio album she released a short while ago really captured this talent particularly well. Her studio stuff is great....this album I’m talking about is next level.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I saw John Maus live, for the first time, last night. I wasn’t quite expecting that :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wow.
On a different note, this thread has been very quiet of late. My excuse is that I've had cashflow issues, and haven't bought any albums for a few months (I have a few lined up to get when the corner is turned, which isn't too far off).
As a result, I'm looking forward to any AotY lists, which should be forthcoming in a month or so.

I’m currently loving the new Neneh Cherry album...its another excellent and lush collab with Fourtet. Exploded View new one called Obey is also very good.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yawn by Bill Ryder Jones, the guitarist from the coral, is a wonderful album. There's a woozy melancholy to it that's just beautiful. He's not reinvented the wheel but you don't always need to.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
New Interpol record Marauder is either gash or complete genius. I genuinely can't decide which.

Turns out it's gash. I really had high hopes as well - but the truth is that they haven't been the same since Carlos left.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Anyone listening to the new prodigy album? T timebomb zone is a stand out track on a great album for me. Vintage prodigy.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
The Beatles White Album 50th anniversary edition released today. Any Beatles fan should give it a listen, the remasters are amazing. Its 5 1/2 long mind you, I know what I'll be listening to all day at work.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The Beatles White Album 50th anniversary edition released today. Any Beatles fan should give it a listen, the remasters are amazing. Its 5 1/2 long mind you, I know what I'll be listening to all day at work.

The Esher Demos are brilliant

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Although technically 2019, a heads up for something special.

Mercury Rev have revisited Bobbie Gentry's 1968 concept piece The Delta Sweete with an amazing cast of vocalists: Norah Jones, Hope Sandoval, Beth Orton, Lucinda Williams, Rachel Goswell, Vashti Bunyan, Marissa Nadler, Susanne Sundfør, Phoebe Bridgers, Margo Price, Kaela Sinclair, Carice Van Houten and Laetitia Sadier.

Promises to be fantastic.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Once upon a time I bought Will Oldham and Palace, etc stuff as a matter of course, but my interest waned. The last thing he did I really liked was that album where he covered a host of tracks from his back catalogue under the Bonny Prince Billy moniker. I See a Darkness was the last studio album he made that I thought was great (again, I haven't listened to too many subsequently).
Given all this, can you describe what he's up to in this album?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here