Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion and Southern Trains

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have not read either thread completely as I believe strikes should be made illegal. If the workers dont do the job they are paid for and agreed to do, simple terminate their employment.

I do, however know that I left sister in laws in Durrington at 5.00pm got to the station to hear the next train was cancelled due to staff shortages. The platform was choc a bloc as apparently the 3 previous trains had suffered the same fate. I had a choice wait for the next train due at 6.08 or try the 700 bus. After considering the next train might also be cancelled I settled for the bus and went to Old Steine and caught a 25 within 2 mins and arrived at the turnstiles as they were playing GOSBTS. To enjoy the win.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have not read either thread completely as I believe strikes should be made illegal. If the workers dont do the job they are paid for and agreed to do, simple terminate their employment.

I do, however know that I left sister in laws in Durrington at 5.00pm got to the station to hear the next train was cancelled due to staff shortages. The platform was choc a bloc as apparently the 3 previous trains had suffered the same fate. I had a choice wait for the next train due at 6.08 or try the 700 bus. After considering the next train might also be cancelled I settled for the bus and went to Old Steine and caught a 25 within 2 mins and arrived at the turnstiles as they were playing GOSBTS. To enjoy the win.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Don't respond to idiots, not worth it.

I know I keep rising to the bait but I'm getting ever more sick and tired of this constant nudge nudge wink wink "they really are all calling in sick" nonsense. It isn't true, it's giving my colleagues -who are coming to work, getting dogs abuse day in and day out for the failings of their company and the government - a bad (or even worse) name.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not taking sides but what was the real real reason the 1726 from Goring to Victoria didnt run or all of the trains from Southampton to Brighton yesterday afternoon.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Not taking sides but what was the real real reason the 1726 from Goring to Victoria didnt run or all of the trains from Southampton to Brighton yesterday afternoon.

Can't answer directly but I'd guess a combination of the emergency timetable, not enough staff and the knock on effects of various earlier infrastructure issues but mainly the fatality at Wivelsfield.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
That is my opinion...We don't agree...hey ho..move on!

but don't start calling people ignorant just because they have a difference of opinion than you do!

If you're ignorant of the facts then you are ignorant and your opinion reflects that fact. TAR was stating that fact. Simples!

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
It's nothing to with industrial action by anyone, it's simply a rail company not employing enough staff to cover the needs of operating the timetable and being able to manage disruptions like what happened yesterday.

It wasn't just the Albion affected yesterday. My usual train (the 0837 East Grinstead to London Victoria) was cancelled, and I had to get the 0907. Then, when I returned (from Clapham Junction), the 2308 to Horsham was cancelled, again because of the unavailability of train crew. Then there was an incident at Wivelsfield. Someone said there was a fatality where a footpath crosses the line there. Would that be the case on a 100 mph main line? Surely only at a level crossing.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

That is the most ignorant post I have read this year on Nsc. It is a democratic right to withdraw one's labour. Managers and bosses often flout employment laws, and being part of a union has improved worker's rights over the past century or so.
Not all unions are good, and some have been bad, but it doesn't make belonging to a union or going on strike a bad thing.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
That is the most ignorant post I have read this year on Nsc. It is a democratic right to withdraw one's labour. Managers and bosses often flout employment laws, and being part of a union has improved worker's rights over the past century or so.
Not all unions are good, and some have been bad, but it doesn't make belonging to a union or going on strike a bad thing.

Are you surprised. Doesn't he have a track record? Unfortunately, elements of the RMT are managing to make a very bad name for unions. Given that we may have 10 years of one party rule, responsible and strong unions will be very important. They'll be useless if the RMT has blown the reputation of unions to shreds.

To bensgrandad, it is a fundamental and hard earned right to withhold labour in this country. We lose it at our peril and we should only ever use it wisely.

Sent from my iPhone in a non-Calde world :-(

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I did think it was odd that the crowd didnt really react. Maybe its because people as so used to the shambles of SASTA.
Incorrect.
It is because the public address system at the Amex is an absolute disgrace.
I defy anyone who sits in ESU to say they clearly heard that message last night, even though they repeated four times.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Incorrect.
I defy anyone who sits in ESU to say they clearly heard that message last night, even though they repeated four times.

The same could be said of West Stand Lower those around me had no idea what they were talking about until it was displayed on the big screens. I have said this in the past about the PA and even sent an e mail to PB but the engineer has checked it out and say it is perfect and is audible in all areas of the ground so I put it down to my hearing or lack of.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Incorrect.

Absolutely right. Barely audible in the WSL too. To be fair though, I don't know if it is simply down to the PA system,, on indeed the stadium announcer.

I believe a new one was employed this season, and to my delicate ears at least, he speaks far too softly, and much of what he says is lost.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The same could be said of West Stand Lower those around me had no idea what they were talking about until it was displayed on the big screens. I have said this in the past about the PA and even sent an e mail to PB but the engineer has checked it out and say it is perfect and is audible in all areas of the ground so I put it down to my hearing or lack of.

Touche. We must both be in urgent need of hearing aids then.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Remember that if the Albion didn't pay Southern they wouldn't care as the revenue goes to the DfT, reading between the lines the contract between SASTA and the Albion is seen as a nuisance to SASTA and costs them a lot for no great reward back.

That's my take on it. SASTA are guaranteed a profit whatever happens so I shouldn't think they're too bothered.

Thank God for all the 'competition' and 'choice' privatisation brought to the market.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I understand and appreciate your point of view but it can't be right and democratic that one person's right to withdraw one's labour causes another person to lose their job because they are unable to fulfil their responsibilities to their employer due to the actions of a striker.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
I understand and appreciate your point of view but it can't be right and democratic that one person's right to withdraw one's labour causes another person to lose their job because they are unable to fulfil their responsibilities to their employer due to the actions of a striker.

How many people have lost their jobs as a direct result of the seven days of industrial action that have taken place this year? Industrial action which, some say, has improved certain services...

Compare that to the almighty inconvenience and probelms caused by SASTA, with the apprvoal of the government, arbitrarily cancelling tens of thousands, possibly hundreds of thousands of trains this year at little or no notice? Even with the emergency timetable, they can only run a 75% service.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As a commuter as well I'm absolutely fed up of the dispute too and had to change living arrangements to accomodate, but your constant backing of Southern and slating of the union is getting dull. And no, you may not explicitly back Southern, but it's implied heavily in your detest of the union/employees.

I've never backed Southern at all. I have no time for them whatsoever.

However I, and others are on the various threads, have grown somewhat tired of the "SASTA are evil, the union are the good guys" myth being peddled by some...

1. The unions seem to have very little regard for the journeys that many people have to regularly make.
2. The union came out and said this dispute was about safety. Only recently have they 'fessed up and added job losses into their concerns. Honesty from the off would help their cause no end.
3. No one from the union side seems able to explain why DOO was brought in elsewhere with no complaints at all from them. DOO services even run on the same bits of track as some SASTA services. One is safe and one isn't? Really?
4. I wasn't aware that the union were the official arbiter of passenger safety anyway. Who appointed them to this role and when?
5. Excessive sickness seemingly was a cause of disruption. As the very anti-Southern blogger David Boyle recently wrote: "As I understand it, the sickness levels among frontline staff have now sunk back to pre-dispute levels", finally putting to bed this "sickness wasn't used by the unions/staff" myth.

Both sides are to blame. The union side, including the likes of [MENTION=1332]Deadly Danson[/MENTION] are very quick to say that SASTA are lying about their ultimate aims. It seems to me that 100% honesty has been absent on the other side of the dispute too.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here