Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thirteen BBC2 10pm

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Is it too late to recommend Thirteen, BBC2 tonight, fourth episode out of five.
I think it's excellent. Its about a girl who was abducted at thirteen and was then held captive for thirteen years before she escaped. As a 26 year old woman she tries to readjust to her life, and the dramatic changes she has to encounter, but also, instead of being treated with sympathy and understanding by everybody she has to confront resentment, hostility, blame and suspicion which is only made worse when a little girl has been abducted in her place by the same man. This leads to the focus of concern and sympathy being shifted to the little girl and the finger of suspicion and blame being pointed at her even more. In the previous episode there were hints that not everything is as it seems. I can thoroughly recommend it albeit a little late, but there's always Catch up. I'm still trying to figure out what the title refers to.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I think it's excellent. Its about a girl who was abducted at thirteen and was then held captive for thirteen years before she escaped. As a 26 year old woman she tries to readjust to her life, and the dramatic changes she has to encounter, but also, instead of being treated with sympathy and understanding by everybody she has to confront resentment, hostility, blame and suspicion which is only made worse when a little girl has been abducted in her place by the same man. This leads to the focus of concern and sympathy being shifted to the little girl and the finger of suspicion and blame being pointed at her even more. In the previous episode there were hints that not everything is as it seems. I can thoroughly recommend it albeit a little late, but there's always Catch up. I'm still trying to figure out what the title refers to.

Have been watching this too, it's another one of those programmes that have under the radar, great though.

Bigsul

Nov 2, 2009

It is very good. The police attitude to her is odd, and I hope not as it would be in reality.

The title refers to her being thirteen when abducted, and spending thirteen years as a captive.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
In the last episode someone will ask her what is the sixth in the sequence of prime numbers.

Should all make sense then.

That was naturally the first thing that sprang to my mind, but I immediately dismissed it as being a little too obvious. I think Bigsul might have hit on something though....

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Just watched the first episode. I think the title is to do with her being a bit unlucky.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Will watch it on catch up.

Has anyone read the book "Thirteen" by Sebastian Beumont about a taxi driver and is set in and around Brighton?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

In the last episode someone will ask her what is the sixth in the sequence of prime numbers.

Should all make sense then.

As mentioned in previous post, last episode on for viewing...pretty good. :)

Bigsul

Nov 2, 2009
That was naturally the first thing that sprang to my mind, but I immediately dismissed it as being a little too obvious. I think Bigsul might have hit on something though....

Oh yes, now spotted the bold type. I'll get my coat!!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Just watched he last episode. Didn't like the series to be honest, some good acting in it but storyline got a little boring IMO anyway.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
After reading the first post, decided to try it. We got hooked on the first episode then had to download and watch two more going to bed at 2am.

I don't understand how she knew she had been captive for 13 years when she phoned police after escaping. She later told the police she was kept in a dark basement with no means of telling the time.

No doubt it will come clear in later episodes.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
After reading the first post, decided to try it. We got hooked on the first episode then had to download and watch two more going to bed at 2am.

I don't understand how she knew she had been captive for 13 years when she phoned police after escaping. She later told the police she was kept in a dark basement with no means of telling the time.

No doubt it will come clear in later episodes.

She wasn't held in the basement the entire time. Also everything that she tells the police isn't always as straight forward as it seems. She was even let out of the house on at least one occasion. This may seem far fetched but it is actually quite a common occurrence with people kept in captivity for a long period of time. A bond of dependency is often formed between the captor and the captive and this is known as "Stockholm Syndrome". It is even known for some captives to eventually be let out on their own to do errands and to return voluntarily. This is because the bond of dependency is so strong. It's one of the reasons abused women remain in abusive relationships, especially those that have been isolated from friends and family and have no other support network. I don't know if you're old enough to remember Patti Hearst, but she is probably the most famous person to whom the term has been applied.
Here are a couple of links that explains the phenomenon in more detail:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22447726

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here