Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Real attendance figure's

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
The club are spot on announcing the attendance as whatever the season ticket sales are plus those that have paid individually on a match to match basis , this way of doing it may look a bit soppy when you are sat there but by I feel more comfortable this way than how a lot if clubs announce gates through the turnstiles thus giving a misleading figure of actual gate receipts for a match , I think everybody knows there was around 21k there Monday but in real life accounting terms there was 25k , the club are not being dishonest rather the exact opposite how I see it .

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Also worth remembering that ALL clubs report pretendances rather than attendances so it's not something that just the Albion are doing to try and be sneaky.

PB has stated that the club monitors the real:stated attendance figures and that they don't release real figures because it would be confusing, which I just don't buy.

Having said that, it really doesn't bother me at all now. It will only be an issue if there is consistently a large discrepancy between the two, and I'm not sure there is (at least nowhere near the last couple of seasons).

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
\PB has stated that the club monitors the real:stated attendance figures and that they don't release real figures because it would be confusing, which I just don't buy.

Me neither. Far better, of course, to be able to brag to potential sponsors and advertisers about a 25,000+ pretendance than a figure well below that of people actually in the ground to see their pitch-side advertising, say. No wonder the real figure gets hidden away.

Of course, not to mention that - until the spivvier brand of chief exec emerged in the modern game - attendances were ALWAYS listed as to how many people were actually...in attendance.

Weird, I know.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Me neither. Far better, of course, to be able to brag to potential sponsors and advertisers about a 25,000+ pretendance than a figure well below that of people actually in the ground to see their pitch-side advertising, say. No wonder the real figure gets hidden away.

Of course, not to mention that - until the spivvier brand of chief exec emerged in the modern game - attendances were ALWAYS listed as to how many people were actually...in attendance.

Weird, I know.

But this is bollocks as well, because as a sponsor you would know they are reporting pretendance, and would either ask the club how many people actually turned up, or apply a % (say 90%?) to get a more accurate figure. Which means that pretendance is a metric that is of use to the club and the club alone, because their ticket revenue is based on that figure. So it's absolutely fine by me if that's how they want to do things.

All I'm saying is that it's no skin off anyone's nose to reveal BOTH figures.

It makes sense that in the old days actual attendances were reported, as they compiled the figures by actually counting heads through the turnstile.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Weird, I know.

The real figure, as you call it, is the number of tickets sold, so therefore more transparent for the accounts.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I have asked the police before, and they've said it's not their information to give out.

'Public safety' as a catch-all phrase doesn't have any meaning here. If there was a public safety issue, it's not that obvious as to what it is, especially as it's the club, not the public who manage the safety issues. The risk the public need to know is that there are potentially as many as 30,000 people turning up.

The consideration of tickets sales of 25,000, and the actual attendance of 22,000 is not a public safety issue to someone deciding whether or not to attend.

Theres a huge difference between asking a bobby at the match who wont have a clue what he can or cant give out and making a FOI request to the information commissioner at Lewes HQ. And I was simply suggesting that public safety could be an angle for asking for the information I'm not looking to start an argument over who's right or wrong just making some suggestions. It could be argued that since that is information provided to the police then it should be in the public domain for any number of varied reasons regardless of the clubs wishes. I can't see how the club can be sensitive about it being given out since they provide an attendance figure on the day, are you saying they are entitled to lie about attendance figures to suit themselves? Im sure the inland revenue might be interested in any attempts to massage figures that might affect incomes. Thats an extreme example so dont jump all over it and take it that I mean that as fact. i just cant see why or how the club can sanitise or hide this information without good reason.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Theres a huge difference between asking a bobby at the match who wont have a clue what he can or cant give out and making a FOI request to the information commissioner at Lewes HQ. And I was simply suggesting that public safety could be an angle for asking for the information I'm not looking to start an argument over who's right or wrong just making some suggestions. It could be argued that since that is information provided to the police then it should be in the public domain for any number of varied reasons regardless of the clubs wishes. I can't see how the club can be sensitive about it being given out since they provide an attendance figure on the day, are you saying they are entitled to lie about attendance figures to suit themselves? Im sure the inland revenue might be interested in any attempts to massage figures that might affect incomes. Thats an extreme example so dont jump all over it and take it that I mean that as fact. i just cant see why or how the club can sanitise or hide this information without good reason.

As I've already said and provided an illustration of, B&H Council do have the real attendance for at least some matches. [MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION] wrote to them in late 2014.

The police have indicated they do not have this: http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?308437-Stated-v-actual-attendance-at-The-Amex

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

I would hazard a guess that when someone said they had asked the police they didnt mean theyd just wandered up to some random bobby at a game

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here