Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Cameron blown it with the EU negotiations ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I dont think 1 is true. Those making this really difficult are lead by Poland, who have a government more "difficult" than ours. They are just negotiating in true eu style. Germany would prefer to move on. France are bein, well, french and they will always mke the british squirm (as we do to them).

We've been a thorn in their side since Thatcher. God knows the insults that Mitterand, Chirac, Santer, Prodi et al have thrown at us over the years because of our bloody-minded intransigence on EU matters.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This is the final offer. Done. Fini. End. There is no round 2, that's been made clear.
Made clear by whom? Are you telling me that politicians never go back on anything?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I am not sure i buy this "cameron has messed up" theme propagated here by the lefties and the outers. He made a call he could shape the relationship with the eu a bit. He will get a deal but how good will be in the eye of the public. It will never be enough for those two groups. It is possible, maybe probable, it will be less than he wanted and that relfects the workings of the eu. Prople can vote on what they see

Generalisations again . . . . I'm not an 'outer' and annoy most 'proper' lefties, even though I vote labour. Cameron has done a fair job of attempting to accomodate an element of his party while directing the good ship UK towards staying in. In this respect only he appears to have failed. Largely because his goal is impossible. If he gets his deal approved by a yes vote, then I will give him massive credit. But his party will have a tough job coalescing round a victorious leader who has won with plenty of his cabinet campaigning against.... him.

Still, if all this does transpire the Tories will be fine because Jezza et al will not be able to make any advantage out of this. Fine . . . but split.

Yet again, Scotland has not disintegrated despite all their MPS being in favour of independence while though the country voted 'no' to being . . . a country.

Politics is a funny old bird . . . . at the moment a bit like a slighty squiffy aunt who is giving you the impression she might be on for a bit of how's your father, and you're not sure whether to stick or twist :lolol:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Generalisations again . . . . I'm not an 'outer' and annoy most 'proper' lefties, even though I vote labour. Cameron has done a fair job of attempting to accomodate an element of his party while directing the good ship UK towards staying in. In this respect only he appears to have failed. Largely because his goal is impossible. If he gets his deal approved by a yes vote, then I will give him massive credit. But his party will have a tough job coalescing round a victorious leader who has won with plenty of his cabinet campaigning against.... him.

Still, if all this does transpire the Tories will be fine because Jezza et al will not be able to make any advantage out of this. Fine . . . but split.

Yet again, Scotland has not disintegrated despite all their MPS being in favour of independence while though the country voted 'no' to being . . . a country.

Politics is a funny old bird . . . . at the moment a bit like a slighty squiffy aunt who is giving you the impression she might be on for a bit of how's your father, and you're not sure whether to stick or twist :lolol:

Genralisation for sure. i was refering to those lefties and outers on the thread on here, ie the vocal ones, and i am pretty sure my "generalisation" relfects the normal distribution curve. Youre an outlier

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Wonderful analogy! At the moment I'm caught between two extremes, on one hand I've lost interest in what the government and opposition are doing with the country because nothing ever seems to change but on the other hand the personalities and political conniving are fascinating.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think the Clash were ahead of their time and have the answer to this issue:

Should I stay or should I go now?
Should I stay or should I go now?
If I go there will be trouble
An' if I stay it will be double
So come on and let me know

So we should go

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Have just been reading the YouGov analysis of the EU referendum, dated Sept 2015.
Was quite intrigued on the description of perceptions.

Quote:
[h=1]Perceptions[/h] It would be wrong to focus solely upon issues and arguments though. People are not logical calculating machines who vote upon a careful balancing of rival arguments, what determines who we vote for is far more complicated. In general elections it is a mix of broad perceptions of the parties, who is competent, who we identify with and who reflects our values, and of the party leaders themselves. In a referendum we are not picking a party or politicians to govern us, but perceptions of values and identities are still important, it still matters what we think we are saying about ourselves when we vote.
Asked about the typical supporter of EU membership and the typical opponent, supporters of the EU are perceived as being well-informed, sensible, open-minded, liberal. Those who support leaving the EU tend to perceive it’s supporters as being out of touch, part of the establishment, liberal and left-wing.
The words most associated with supporting British exit from the EU are sensible, right-wing, ignorant, ordinary, stuck-in the past. Those who would vote to leave see those who agree with them as sensible, ordinary, well-informed and seeing things others don’t. Those who support EU membership see those opposed as ignorant, stuck in the past, bigoted and out-of-touch

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/09/22/eu-referendum-state-public-opinion/

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Fundamentally I'm on the left and pro European in the believe that it should be a progressive cause for dealing with social, security and environmental issues. But it ain't working and Cameron's deal weakens that further and as such I am out.

This is how I'm swaying at the moment

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is the final offer. Done. Fini. End. There is no round 2, that's been made clear.

Good. No way back in would suit me fine. Of course, if the turkeys vote for Christmas and we stay in, any political party can include another referendum in its manifesto and if we in the UK decide to have another referendum, a referendum we shall have..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally I will vote to stay in the EU as despite the migrant issue I feel that it is a positive force for trade and business, and therefore for the UK economy. In reality I should not give a sxxt as I will be leaving the UK for good soon.
So you're going to vote in and then f*** off and leave us all in the s**t, just because you think it's good for trade and business?

If you're really leaving, and don't give a s**t, at least have the common decency not to try to contribute to imposing your views on the rest of us, who do give a s**t. Anyone with a shred of decency in those circumstances wouldn't vote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here