Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you consider eating human meat if it could be ethically sourced?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Whilst I imagine the ethical considerations would be insurmountable there are considerable health implications of eating meat from the same species that we would also need to overcome.

Eating beef, pork, lamb etc is relatively safe because if the slaughtered animal were ill the disease would have to impact both species (BSE being an example of where it can happen), eating human meat would mean we were susceptible to everything the donor had.

The risks would be too great for "natural" meat.
If however you could create synthetic meat based on the make up of human meat then it might be a goer.

According to this article (not sure about its credentials) it is only the human brain which it is advisable to avoid.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/311277.php

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
for those counting calories..... :D

humanmenu.png

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Please dont give Mr Barber ideas...........half priced human fayre and a pint on the concourse coming soon

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Corrr, this was not a question I was expecting to think about on a Tuesday morning.

If I was in a plane crash, akin to what you say, I think I'd have to evaluate the situation.

But in answer to your question, no I do not fancy a late night human leg kebab, you loon.

No. Mind you, if If I were in a plane crash frankly I'd eat the other passengers before I touched the airline food.

I do like that quote from The Big Bus: "You eat one lousy foot and they call you a cannibal!"

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It is actually a very real future scenario. The technology already exists to produce 'clean meat' which is grown from the cells of a living animal without causing them any harm but is currently too expensive to be a viable option. No technical reason why this could not include human flesh. Celebrities could launch their own brands, Beckham Burgers, the Kardashian Family Pack; try and guess which one you are eating today.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It is actually a very real future scenario. The technology already exists to produce 'clean meat' which is grown from the cells of a living animal without causing them any harm but is currently too expensive to be a viable option. No technical reason why this could not include human flesh. Celebrities could launch their own brands, Beckham Burgers, the Kardashian Family Pack; try and guess which one you are eating today.

Shame this is did not happen earlier, we could have had such classics as....

The George Micheal Toad in the Hole.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Try Sidney’s kidneys
Petes feet
Tim’s limbs
Sandys handys
Pips lips
I think I’ll give Ricks a miss though, and Paul’s.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
without reading the whole thread .... has anybody asked and answered ... what is ethically sourced human meat how the heck do you source it and what criteria makes it ethical ..... and if you actually did manage it can you chose whether your eating teen flesh over octogenarian flesh ????

some very strange people around to even suggest it ... or have you recently watched the movie Soylent Green from 1973 - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070723/?ref_=nv_sr_2

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
..... and if you actually did manage it can you chose whether your eating teen flesh over octogenarian flesh ????

Why not, if you can choose between veal and beef or lamb and mutton the same choices could apply.
With the meat being ethically sourced there would of course be stringent controls which would mean people would know exactly what (or who) they are eating.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
TBH, I'm rather struggling with the concept of 'ethically sourced' in this context..............................

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here