Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How early in the day can the smartcard be used for free travel?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The bus driver this morning told me this morning that it was a maximum of 90 minutes before kick off which is obviously a load of bullshit.

I've looked at the official travel guide and there's no indication. Any ideas, fellow tightwads?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I think it's 3 hours before KO, although I have got away with it slightly more than that for a midweek kickoff when getting on a bus at St Peters Church.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I always understood it to be 2 hours before and after games, but where I got that from I am not sure.

Edit: Just found this on the official site

Free Travel Services
Brighton and Hove Albion FC offer home and away fans free
travel on buses and trains within the Free Travel Zone (Details
within this document). You can use your match day ticket,
season ticket, or proof of match day ticket purchase to use
most services between 11:30am and 9pm for a 3pm kick off and
between 4:15pm and midnight for a 7:45pm kick off. Free travel
services for other kick off times will vary accordingly. Details of
the bus and rail services that can be used for home matches
at the stadium free of direct charge are listed below. Please
note: Free travel is inclusive for all home league matches. Free
services may also be offered for friendly or Cup matches, but
please check club information when purchasing your ticket.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
The bus driver this morning told me this morning that it was a maximum of 90 minutes before kick off which is obviously a load of bullshit.

I've looked at the official travel guide and there's no indication. Any ideas, fellow tightwads?

I think this has been well covered in other threads but I believe it is 12-9pm on a 3pm kickoff and 4pm-12am on an evening game.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I don't actually know? :shrug:

On a Saturday I've gone in early on the bus from P'Slade to get my daughter some trainers and grab some lunch in town, I reckon I got on about 11.30am for a 3pm KO. Definitely got the trains that early too...I never actually thought about the cut off. I guess 9am would be taking the piss though....:lolol:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think this has been well covered in other threads but I believe it is 12-9pm on a 3pm kickoff and 4pm-12am on an evening game.

Yep, this is what I've always understood it to be as well. Having said that, I've never had an issues on the odd occasion when I've used it outside these hours.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I don't actually know? :shrug:

On a Saturday I've gone in early on the bus from P'Slade to get my daughter some trainers and grab some lunch in town, I reckon I got on about 11.30am for a 3pm KO. Definitely got the trains that early too...I never actually thought about the cut off. I guess 9am would be taking the piss though....:lolol:

It's a weird one. I managed once to use it on the 1A at about 8:15am before heading for a full day at the office then onto an evening kick off. I had to blag it though; when the driver said "You can only use it to go to the football" I replied "I am - I'm just going to the office on the way". :lol:

But the 90 minutes line is definitely bollocks - by that stretch everyone would arrive just before kick off!

I suppose I just want an official line. I'll email Barber now*

*No I won't. Thanks [MENTION=28911]spanish flair[/MENTION].

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
It's a weird one. I managed once to use it on the 1A at about 8:15am before heading for a full day at the office then onto an evening kick off. I had to blag it though; when the driver said "You can only use it to go to the football" I replied "I am - I'm just going to the office on the way". :lol:

But the 90 minutes line is definitely bollocks - by that stretch everyone would arrive just before kick off!

I suppose I just want an official line. I'll email Barber now*

*No I won't. Thanks [MENTION=28911]spanish flair[/MENTION].

No need to!

I always understood it to be 2 hours before and after games, but where I got that from I am not sure.

Edit: Just found this on the official site

Free Travel Services
Brighton and Hove Albion FC offer home and away fans free
travel on buses and trains within the Free Travel Zone (Details
within this document). You can use your match day ticket,
season ticket, or proof of match day ticket purchase to use
most services between 11:30am and 9pm for a 3pm kick off and
between 4:15pm and midnight for a 7:45pm kick off. Free travel
services for other kick off times will vary accordingly. Details of
the bus and rail services that can be used for home matches
at the stadium free of direct charge are listed below. Please
note: Free travel is inclusive for all home league matches. Free
services may also be offered for friendly or Cup matches, but
please check club information when purchasing your ticket.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Bus driver would not let my Son on the bus at five once for an evening kick off. He said it didn't start until 6.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Bus driver would not let my Son on the bus at five once for an evening kick off. He said it didn't start until 6.

Thing is there's nothing you can do at that point. It's like arguing with a bouncer. Doesn't matter if you're right, you're still not getting in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here