Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fingerprint scanners at work

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
From the companies perspective it will be cheaper than programming and replacing lost/broken id cards. You can't lose your fingerprint so will never have an access issue and need an admin person (or equivalent) to give you temporary access to ensure records are correct, and as others have said, will stop fraud.

Makes sense to me.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Its a funny old world , think the job i'm at now had a clock on machine for 35 years before then the following 11 years i was there , i honestly cant ever remember it breaking down , then 2 years ago they introduced a snazzy computorised system that responds to a card tag you place on it like a card reader i suppose , the things shyte and constantly breaking down , the time spent in the managers office getting him to manually sign you in and out is laughable .

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I really don't see the massive problem. And I don't buy the 'intrusive' argument of them needlessly taking your data. It's a finger print and I am sure that they will have better things to do than abuse it like they do with telephone numbers. Surely they can't market to you or frame you for murder based on a single print (especially when you will be able to prove you were at school)

Maybe I would feel differently if it were happening to me, but I do not think so. Surely it is there to help you as well by ensuring you do not work too many hours or are paid for it if you do.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
your employer will have your NI (equivalent), salary information, bank details, address, next of kin, DOB, your academic and professional career on record. a finger print scan is not particularly intrusive now is it?

though im mot sure how it "proves" you are working/not working, the company can manipulate the time logs of when you entered/left. not really sure why they couldn't do with simple pass cards which are probably more reliable and slightly easier to replace if there's a problem.

Are you suggesting it might be possible for someone to mislay their finger?????

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
We have fingerprint scanning upon entry to the building. Doesn't really bother anyone.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seems to me un-necessarily excessive to be complaining about a system that checks when you are at your desk/place of work. It can't obviously tell whether you are at your desk spending hour after hour posting on a football forum (although I'm sure they might have other software that monitors internet access!!).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Most big building sites have this now using "If there is a fire on site scenario" but they use it to check your time sheets and are quick to deny it when asked to there faces

Some don't, many do. Certainly all the Wilmott Dixon ones do. Pretty handy to be honest - means you can go back to a site after a day or two elsewhere and walk straight through the turnstile, without wasting time waiting to sign in somewhere. And if they do cross check against your timesheets - if you're not deliberately making 'mistakes' on those, what is the problem??

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
When did shops take fingerprints? Not heard of that before.

Smaller shops often did past 3-4 years.

They have cards that now work off fingerprints but think they may have been overtaken already by Apple Pay, banks have said they may not honour fraud claims if you have more than one persons fingerprint set up on your phone, as you are giving consent for someone else to effectively have your Card and Pin.

Companies like Apple are more worrying, imagine how much biometric data they now hold on people, and where they could sell that onto.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
My company is planning to implement a new policy that necessitates signing in and out of work using a fingerprint scanner. They're bringing this in as the Spanish government want to keep a close eye on the hours worked to prevent companies from having people work extra hours unpaid as this is both unfair to the workers and also a problem for the state, which doesn't collect as much tax as it should. Currently, it's thought that 3.5 million hours are worked unpaid in Spain each week.

So ostensibly the policy is there to protect workers. However, I'm fundamentally against giving my fingerprint as it seems intrusive.

I've been emailing back and forth with my boss and colleagues all morning whilst wading through EU data protection laws. This policy has been brought in without staff consultation and we were informed this morning that we need to sign a form giving our consent. I should mention that I work in school not a high risk site such as a nuclear power plant.

Has anyone else experienced this? Am I being unreasonable in not wanting to give a fingerprint?

Do you have a mobile phone with fingerprint security? Just asking like.

Can't see the problem here really. I sign in/out at one of my jobs by way of a fingerprint scanner. Takes away the potential human error of someone noting your start/finish time in a book.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I used finger print clocking on/off at a business I owned but was not present at. Installed CCTV but the cameras were mysteriously 'moved' so I could not check on peoples start/finish times. Finger print meant they got paid from when they clocked in. Failure to clock out (may have gone early) meant no pay at all that day, although I could not legally do this but it never came to that. Whilst expensive to install, needed a computer on site, it paid for itself within months.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't see any issue with this at all, have had a key card entry for building access for years and recently we had key cards introduced for PC logging on.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Been common on construction sites in New York for a while. There is also a NYC ID card (not compulsory) which was rolled out a few years ago and is free and also gives you discounts on sports facilities, museums etc. As others have said I don't see the big deal anymore if you have nothing to hide. They already know everything about you anyway.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm with the majority on here - don't see it as a problem. It's a means of identification that is VERY difficult to forge.

A very long time ago I worked at a place that had clocking in / out cards and getting one of the late leavers to clock you out was quite commonplace [to build up the flex-time].
More recently, ID cards are used for building and area access control where site security is required. Quite common for folk to forget their card one day and "borrow" someone else's to pop to the loo or outside for a puff - bad, I know, but fingerprint scanning would soon put a stop to any of that.

I really don't get the intrusive bit either. And I can't see how a copy of your fingerprint could be used by criminals to somehow either steal your identity or frame you for the next big heist.

I'd welcome it ....

Only downside might be if your dabs are all over the petty cash tin when it goes light - actually, that's not a downside, it's another positive.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Most of them do not record the whole fingerprint anyway, they record typically 16 points and the rest of the verification process is measurements between those points. The whole fingerprint is not recorded. My company manufactures and sells them...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here