Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Closed pubs of Sussex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Drove past the other week and Mrs DCH commented that she didn't realise it was still going as nobody ever mentioned it these days. Never really thought of it as a pub though. It always used to be a popular venue for events and parties. Remember back in the late 80's early 90's my Sunday side had an end of season do there and after a short while it emerged that there seemed to be some 'flexible' pricing taking place. A couple of our more scary players invited the barman for a little chat and needless to say, rounds became somewhat cheaper for the rest of the evening.

Rumour that http://www.brewhouseandkitchen.com/ are looking at taking this over

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone know what's happening with The Chequer Inn, Steyning High Street. It's currently closed but possibly a change of owner?

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Anyone know what's happening with The Chequer Inn, Steyning High Street. It's currently closed but possibly a change of owner?

No idea, but we can add the ThreeTuns to the list; many a 12 year old got their first beer in there in the 70’s and early 80’s

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Got news today that The Swan in Crawley has been closed.

Not sure if it's just a case of one manager leaving and then waiting for another, but it would be a real shame to lose one of the few decent pubs in near the town centre.

It's a live music venue too.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Got news today that The Swan in Crawley has been closed.

Not sure if it's just a case of one manager leaving and then waiting for another, but it would be a real shame to lose one of the few decent pubs in near the town centre.

It's a live music venue too.

Not been there in many years but I have heard about its music pedigree - would be a shame to see it closed.

What was the name of the pub close by that is now an Asian Supermarket? Used to play pool in there at lunchtime when I was at college.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Not been there in many years but I have heard about its music pedigree - would be a shame to see it closed.

What was the name of the pub close by that is now an Asian Supermarket? Used to play pool in there at lunchtime when I was at college.

That was The Crown. That’s been a cash and carry for a few years now. Think The Crown lost it’s licence due to many drug issues

Jul 7, 2003
Wasnt The Beechwood once owned by Chris Chapman or am I thinking of another place?

I have a feeling he may have taken it on at one point in the past. [MENTION=3666]lenny[/MENTION]Rider probably knows more about Chapman's empire than most on here.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Slightly OT. In the past most of the pubs in the Brighton to Worthing area were tied to either Tamplins or Kemp Town breweries. It is still possible to see the Kemp Town sign (usually in tiling) on some of their former pubs. I have never recently seen the Tamplins sign anywhere. Does anyone know if such a sign still exists?

All this talk of bygone local brewereies, who, and where, were Phoenix Beweries? presumably big Brighton brewers intheir day, as they sponsored the Albion shirts when l first saw us play in 1985.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
All this talk of bygone local brewereies, who, and where, were Phoenix Beweries? presumably big Brighton brewers intheir day, as they sponsored the Albion shirts when l first saw us play in 1985.

It was Tamplins and Son ceased trading

the-quaffer.blogspot.com

Last edited:

Pickles

May 5, 2014
The Royal Oak in Worthing has gone, in Brighton Road, opposite Denton Gardens, near the swimming pool and opposite The Egremont.

How times change. When I moved from Brighton to Worthing around 30 years ago, The Royal Oak was a cracking pub, run by an an ex military policeman, who kept a great, clean pub. Over the road, was the Egremont, a shite run down place with a dodgy owner and regulars who would sell their grandmother's teeth for a pint.

Two polar opposite pubs, opposite each other.

Now, 30 years later, the polar opposite, but the other way.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
The Royal Oak in Worthing has gone, in Brighton Road, opposite Denton Gardens, near the swimming pool and opposite The Egremont.

How times change. When I moved from Brighton to Worthing around 30 years ago, The Royal Oak was a cracking pub, run by an an ex military policeman, who kept a great, clean pub. Over the road, was the Egremont, a shite run down place with a dodgy owner and regulars who would sell their grandmother's teeth for a pint.

Not for long. It's been bought, I believe, by the same people who own the Cow Shed. Should reopen in a couple of months after a refit

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Not for long. It's been bought, I believe, by the same people who own the Cow Shed. Should reopen in a couple of months after a refit

That's correct, but as The RoyalOak, per se, it's a gonna.

I know a fair bit bit of history there. For example, the guy that owns Denton Motors, Rod, in Park Road next door, his dad owned the pub many years ago and bought the land behind the pub and set up the garage, which is still there.

Jul 7, 2003

The Royal Oak had been a mess for many years prior to closure. The interior was very tired and it seemed to rely on the people sitting in the front garden during the summer to keep going. Will be interesting to see what happens to it as it is a fair sized site but being slightly away from the centre of town will have to work hard to attract drinkers. I feel it is more likely to end up as a restaurant than a proper pub.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And this one. I can't remember what it was called though. Or where it was. Any ideas?

attachment.php
:annoyed::angry::annoyed::angry:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The Mill House in Portslade was where I had my first pub pint (Watney's Special, 17 p). Scheduled for demolition since 2013. It was a shit hole, though.

Now with new houses built all over it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I'll throw in the Downsman in Hangleton. A slightly strange but welcoming pub. I miss it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
And this one. I can't remember what it was called though. Or where it was. Any ideas?

attachment.php

In a nice twist, I stood in the car park of this place for several hours a couple of weekends ago (aid station for a marathon). No MG, no girl sitting on a car and can’t remember the name of the place. It looked NOTHING like this picture at all [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here