Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just Eat Scam

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
There's phishing emails going around purporting to be from Just Eat asking to you complete a short survey for a £10 reward. You have to login using your Just Eat details, fill in a survey (and some personal details), and then enter credit card / bank details for the 'reward'.

This is the most realistic phishing email I've ever seen, not only because of the clarity and layout of the email, but because the email contains your full name, address, and mobile number.

Lots of people are at least getting duped into entering their login details which may be the same for many other sites, before realising it is a scam.

Where the personal details are coming from is unclear - it looks like a data breach but Just Eat are denying this. However, loads of people are reporting that the details match only their Just Eat account, e.g. typos in their address.

So, something to look out for. Just Eat have known about this for at least 2 months but are only starting to warn people just now.

http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/money/...ry-and-take-away-peoples-money-11364015740268
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34774413

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Sounds like Just Eat have been SQL Injected. Goons.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I received an email last night from JUST EAT warning me of this, the example they show is very convincing and I'm not surprised people have fallen for it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Fell for this last week.
First scam I've ever fallen for.

The scammer tried to make a purchase of £201 at sports direct with my details.
Luckily the bank stopped the transaction and I didn't lose any money.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Actually, there also appears to be a security breach on my PayPal account....

This deeply worries me as.... I haven't got a PayPal account :lolol:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Just Eat's response to the whole situation has been very poor. They could have prevented a whole load of people getting scammed had they properly warned people earlier. As I say, they've known about this for at least 2 months. It is only because of a bit of a customer revolt and various authorities now investigating that they are actually doing something about it. Clearly more worried about protecting their reputation than protecting their customers. Of course, this approach is looking like it has backfired spectacularly. Still, they are completely denying a data breach but there are few other explanations.

If you want to delete you Just Eat account you can easily do so by logging into your profile. Whether it will actually be removed from their system is another matter!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Emailing needs a successor.

99% of emails I get are scams, the latest seem to be an email from some company saying "Invoice attached" or "Delivery details attached". Clearly the attachment will contain a virus of some description. Nobody should believe any email they receive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Twitter? or any number of other similar messaging services. the problems of email don't go away though because the cost of spam are negligible. only way to improve the quality of electronic based messaging is to build in a payment structure so its not worth it. and as we know from junk mail through the letter box, the threshold for such a cost is probably quite high to completely remove it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

99% of emails I get are scams, the latest seem to be an email from some company saying "Invoice attached" or "Delivery details attached". Clearly the attachment will contain a virus of some description. Nobody should believe any email they receive.

Facebook would like Messenger to become a successor to email in that only the companies that you like can contact you. If you terminate that relationship at any point then they can't send to you.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I deleted my account at the time and haven't used Just Eat since. Completely forgot about this tbh, but have just seen this on the BBC:

A computer hacker who sold the personal data of thousands of people on the dark web faces jail after admitting a string of offences.

Police began investigating Grant West, 26, after he hacked information from Just Eat customers in 2015.

The personal data of around 165,000 people was compromised.

Detectives later found he had 63,000 credit and debit card details - and seized more than £500,000 in bitcoins belonging to West.

He admitted charges including conspiracy to commit fraud, computer misuse, and drug offences.

West, from the Isle of Sheppey in Kent, used "phishing" emails to extract customer data from various companies.

Between July 2015 and December 2015 he targeted online food delivery firm Just Eat, using a scam in which customers received a bogus email offering a voucher in return for answering questions about the service.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43965622

A spokesperson for Just Eat said "We were made aware of a phishing scam which took place in 2015 and at the time took steps to mitigate this… at no point were Just Eat systems compromised or breached.

"Protecting our brand and our customers from online fraud is of utmost importance to us."

Without anything to back it up other than my observations of the time, I'm not completely convinced that Just Eat's systems weren't compromised. Where did the original details come from?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Out of interest does anyone know if those scammed ever get their money back ? (Ie the ones who actually lose money at the time). Not just in this case but generally

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
If an e-mail arrives asking you to log in or make a payment of any kind this imo should be enough not to, even if you use the company. Go to their main site and double check that its legit first.

As for Just Eat I dont get it, steals the fun out of trying places at random imo but I may be missing something. I would also be wary of engaging a third party for something when you dont really need one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Clever by the Police. They waited for the c*nt to login to his dark web account whilst he sat on a train, then grabbed his laptop.

IMG_2581.PNG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here