Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Six Games In, how do you feel about our season so far?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
.The attitude of 'we should be beating teams like Watford (who have had a cracking start to their season - underestimated by many) and Southampton (who are always difficult to beat) then we will be disappointed.
I don't think - and never have thought - 'We should be beating teams like xxxxxxx.' To assume that's where I'm coming from is completely missing the point. Yes, it would have been nice to have picked up an extra point or two here or there, but five points from six games isn't a problem at this stage - but giving PL teams a two goal start (which we have done in 4 out of 6 games) is, and won't end well if it is a pattern that is repeated.

.If you're fretting and worrying now, you will not enjoy the season.
Not fretting or worrying - see post #10 for a more accurate summary of my view, one which appears to be shared by many.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't think - and never have thought - 'We should be beating teams like xxxxxxx.' To assume that's where I'm coming from is completely missing the point. Yes, it would have been nice to have picked up an extra point or two here or there, but five points from six games isn't a problem at this stage - but giving PL teams a two goal start (which we have done in 4 out of 6 games) is, and won't end well if it is a pattern that is repeated.

Not fretting or worrying - see post #10 for a more accurate summary of my view, one which appears to be shared by many.

I didn't say you were personally fretting or worrying. You just happened to be one of three posts I was quoting to make my point.
There are lots of people on this thread who are.

It all comes down to glass half full and glass half empty.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Were you expecting Andone to go straight into the starting line up after recovering from injury?

No. But he hasn't played a single minute yet. Chris has brought on Locadia,, who has been rubbish, when we've been chasing games. To your average Albion follower, that is not a massive vote of confidence.

At what point do you think he should be given a chance?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think it needs to be appreciated that the players bought in are by and large no better than those in the team already. They have been acquired to give greater strength in depth and more options. The benefits of this should be seen as the season progresses. £50million sounds a lot but it does not buy many good players these days.
If we're setting out to buy players who are no better than what we've already got, then something's seriously wrong with our recruitment policy. Fortunately, I don't believe that's the case - although there is of course the possibility that the recruitment team might make the odd mistake (time will tell on that one).

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If we're setting out to buy players who are no better than what we've already got, then something's seriously wrong with our recruitment policy. Fortunately, I don't believe that's the case - although there is of course the possibility that the recruitment team might make the odd mistake (time will tell on that one).

I guess that's what concerns me as well.

So far only Montoya, of the multiple players we have signed, has got into the team on merit - and he replaced an injured 37 year old. Bissouma maybe? But Gross is injured and I'm yet to be convinced he's an upgrade.

Last season Gross and Propper came in from the start...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

So far only Montoya, of the multiple players we have signed, has got into the team on merit - and he replaced an injured 37 year old. Bissouma maybe? But Gross is injured and I'm yet to be convinced he's an upgrade.

To be fair, CH didn't have any choice but to play Gross and Propper from the word go last season - and they struggled for the first few games before really finding their feet - but I agree with the gist of your post.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

I do not know if we are setting out that way but my view is that none of them are better, they just provide different options and strength in more depth.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I think Bissouma and Bernardo are a little more long-term in terms of their role/impact/resale value? Doesn't mean they can't make an impact, and as you say Bissouma has shown some great, exciting moments but I expect more of that to be from the bench if everyone is fit... It will take both young men time to adapt, not only in terms of playing in the PL but to life in the UK too and they might not make it.. Balogun, Montoya, Andone and Jahanbaksh are the ones we are hoping to make the impact comparable to that Gross and Proper have made over their 1st season.. Locadia too. I think Balogun and Montoya have shown they are capable of doing that, Balogun arguably just needs a chance for an extended run to challenge Dunk/Duffy. I thought Duffy might be under the greatest pressure this season but think he has stepped up again in recent games. Andone and AJ are about to start competing properly so jury still out and Locadia... who knows.. I just hope he has the strength of character and support network to allow him to develop in the way the Club want him to.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
No. But he hasn't played a single minute yet. Chris has brought on Locadia,, who has been rubbish, when we've been chasing games. To your average Albion follower, that is not a massive vote of confidence.

At what point do you think he should be given a chance?

I think your average supporter understands that players don't play when they're injured/not match fit. Andone recovered from injury, trained, got some minutes for the u23s, then made the bench.

Finally Falmer

Jul 18, 2010
I am not really getting why you are envious of Wolves - I think if our opening fixtures had been similar to Wolves then we may well have 9 points as well and played more openly - Last year Huddersfield had more than 9 points at this stage in the season and their expansiveness was exploited as the season wore on. Wait till we get the middling to lower table teams down at the Amex. I think we will be just as expansive as Wolves are. After all we were open and attacking when Fulham came down there and got caught out for being so open.

I was referring to our approach away from home this season, and pretty much all of last. Apologies if I didn't make that clear! I also admire your optimism that we would also have had 9 points if we'd have had away games at Old Trafford, and a home game against Man City.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its exactly PAR although you would have expected perhaps lose to Man Utd and beat Fulham but draw at Watford etc.

So the Albion are playing the right notes but not in the right order.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Par par par, we haven't had a season defining result yet. Man Utd could have been but lets face it they weren't very good and we were a bit disappointing against Fulham, Saints and Watford for either half the game or the whole game!

Man City won't sway it either way either. We will either get thumped or somehow limp to a draw/win. but even if that happened I wouldn't change my view of this season. The key is how we do against the other 13 clubs like ourselves. Start beating them at home again and we will be okay, start beating them away and we will have progressed. Its that simple really.

The promise of something better from some of our play is there though we just need to start doing it for 90 minutes and get the wins.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think your average supporter understands that players don't play when they're injured/not match fit. Andone recovered from injury, trained, got some minutes for the u23s, then made the bench.

But he hasn't played has he?

Apart from FFS, we are struggling for goals, he was our star summer signing striker yet Chris has preferred Locadia in every game they've both been available so far..

If he's still coming back to fitness, what's he on the bench for? The atmosphere?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
A tad disappointed. I just think we're a better front foot team. We've conceded two goals in four of our five games so far, primarily when sitting back, so being a deep defensive side simply isn't having the desired effect; some will say we'd have conceded many more had we not taken this approach, but I trust our players when they're on the front foot and it's much harder for teams to score against you if you're attacking them.

Saying that, I felt like this when we started last season and we were kept on the leash. I think it'll change once the fixture list becomes more favourable and there are periods in the season where I expect us to pick up substantially more points and be more attacking. However, if come Christmas we're still playing with the same mentality, I'll be asking questions as I imagine we'll be seriously struggling.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Happy so far. Considering some of our new talent and a few regulars are out, or not fit yet, I still have a 'best is yet to come' feeling about this season. With the team options we have so far, I can understand CH's tactics and don't want to see us running around like headless chickens for the first half. The biggest change for me this season is seeing his tactics work on Fulham and Soton with great comebacks after a cagey start. The Spurs loss was painful, but we held them well in the first half and looked like we deserved a point at the end.

3 points from three of the top six with our current team is ok in my book. :shrug:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Why do you insist on misspelling Hughton's name, maybe it's because I am getting old, maybe it's an injoke I'm not party too, but quite frankly it makes you look like a bit of a tit and makes any valid points you may have redundant! Sorry...

Bit of boring back story to it really, there was a thread a while ago (cant remember what it was) where the subject of the the constant misspelling of Hughtons name on the forum cropped up, people still spelling it Hewton or Houghton etc. Anways, I amalgamated the two to make it easier for these idiots and having posted it a few times my phone now gives it me as option when i just type H E W. (I've typed this on a MAC)

So I continue to use it out of phone typing laziness.

I really should stop, but now I know it annoys you and your 3 likers, I'm going to take great pleasure (and will think of you) in continuing to use it. :bigwave:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Bit of boring back story to it really, there was a thread a while ago (cant remember what it was) where the subject of the the constant misspelling of Hughtons name on the forum cropped up, people still spelling it Hewton or Houghton etc. Anways, I amalgamated the two to make it easier for these idiots and having posted it a few times my phone now gives it me as option when i just type H E W. (I've typed this on a MAC)

So I continue to use it out of phone typing laziness.

I really should stop, but now I know it annoys you and your 3 likers, I'm going to take great pleasure (and will think of you) in continuing to use it. :bigwave:

Hilarious!!!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A tad disappointed. I just think we're a better front foot team. We've conceded two goals in four of our five games so far, primarily when sitting back, so being a deep defensive side simply isn't having the desired effect; some will say we'd have conceded many more had we not taken this approach, but I trust our players when they're on the front foot and it's much harder for teams to score against you if you're attacking them.

Saying that, I felt like this when we started last season and we were kept on the leash. I think it'll change once the fixture list becomes more favourable and there are periods in the season where I expect us to pick up substantially more points and be more attacking. However, if come Christmas we're still playing with the same mentality, I'll be asking questions as I imagine we'll be seriously struggling.

Excellent post.

This season, opposing managers with all their available video analysis, will now know that working hard in a high press and depriving us of the ball from the first second, prevents us functioning. CH will no doubt be working on tactics the other way.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here