Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Tom Waits

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've been listening to Waits for about 35 years, I think all his albums are great but if I had to pick one, it would be Rain Dogs. I can see that his vocal style is an acquired taste however.

I've never seen him live - he's top of my list of unseen acts that I'd love to see.

He's way out at the top of my list of unseen acts. But he doesn't play much. I think his last European 'tour' was back in 2008 when he played two nights in a small boulevard venue in Paris. I do like his response when questioned on why he doesn't play live much: "Gotta keep 'em keen."

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And how about this for an insane bit of trumpet at the end of pure delight. Whoever posted above he's like Dylan (can't sing) needs to give his head a wobble. With a small mallet. That should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug7DZG1F6bs

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Ive been lucky enough to have seen thousands of bands both as a punter and through work and can honestly say Tom Waits live was head and shoulders above anything I had seen or have seen since. The last time I'd been that excited about a gig was probably the first time I saw the Clash.
I saw TW in Milan and it blew me away then saw him in Edinburgh a few weeks later and even now thinking about it I get goose bumps. Indescribably brilliant.

(Although I saw Patti Smith and Nick Cave on Wednesday in Dublin and am still buzzing' )

Nothing beats good live music, nothing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Seem to vaguely recall he had an album or a movie or something called Tom Waits For No Man. Apart from that he just seemed one of those horrible mumbling American OGWT acts that you went and made a cup of tea while they were on and prayed they were off by the time you got back.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Seem to vaguely recall he had an album or a movie or something called Tom Waits For No Man. Apart from that he just seemed one of those horrible mumbling American OGWT acts that you went and made a cup of tea while they were on and prayed they were off by the time you got back.

There is a lovely path you could stroll on, if you choose to take it...

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
This thread is going to keep my ears busy for a while. Thanks guys. :cool:

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
And *phew*
Maybe we should put "not RIP" next to names of public figures of a certain age in thread titles.
Love so much of his stuff, especially swordfishtrombones onwards.
One of my guitar heroes - Marc Ribot - features on Rain Dogs, and many albums since.
This is a great one for paranoid times:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ive been lucky enough to have seen thousands of bands both as a punter and through work and can honestly say Tom Waits live was head and shoulders above anything I had seen or have seen since. The last time I'd been that excited about a gig was probably the first time I saw the Clash.
I saw TW in Milan and it blew me away then saw him in Edinburgh a few weeks later and even now thinking about it I get goose bumps. Indescribably brilliant.

(Although I saw Patti Smith and Nick Cave on Wednesday in Dublin and am still buzzing' )

Nothing beats good live music, nothing.

I'm super-jealous, but it sounds as though you've put in the hard graft to extract a few gems. I saw Cave and Smith on Sunday in Victoria Park. Cave, especially, was fantastic

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Does some great cameos as well. My favourite is the sage growling barman in Rumble Fish.

Terrific movie with a good Stewart Copeland soundtrack , this clip opens with Mickey Rourke (pre botox explosion), Dennis Hopper and Matt Dillon. Great lines for TW.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPb-86NlTUQ

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
(Looking for) The Heart of Saturday Night. A wonderful, evocative slice of tawdry city night life.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here