Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wimbledon 2017

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Murray wins the first set 6-3.

Worth mentioning as well that Aljaz Bedene and Heather Watson have both reached the third round today. I think Kyle Edmund plays his 2nd Round match tomorrow.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I've been there the first three days, I think this tournament is a slow burner, it's not started with too much pomp. Wawrinka going out just saves him getting smashed in the quater final, the top 4 seeds will be the semi-finalists I'm sure.

I sat through a set of Bedene vs Karlovic which was painful, players who can only serve are tedious. Yesterday's queue were turning down Court 1 all over the place, people in position 2k were being offered Court 1 tickets but Court 2 was the hot ticket. Doubles is guff.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I've been there the first three days, I think this tournament is a slow burner, it's not started with too much pomp. Wawrinka going out just saves him getting smashed in the quater final, the top 4 seeds will be the semi-finalists I'm sure.

I sat through a set of Bedene vs Karlovic which was painful, players who can only serve are tedious. Yesterday's queue were turning down Court 1 all over the place, people in position 2k were being offered Court 1 tickets but Court 2 was the hot ticket. Doubles is guff.

and i'd rather be on Court 2 tomorrow as well to be honest.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
and i'd rather be on Court 2 tomorrow as well to be honest.

Yes, I called Pironkova vs Wozniacki to be on 2 so I'm happy right now! I think 1 is the best of the 3, I feel sorry for the people who camped out today in order to get Centre tickets tomorrow.

Actually, court 3 is the winner tomorrow. Russian Derby with Kuznetsova, Juan Martin Del Potro (THE danger outside the top 4), sexy Garbine Muguruza and Alex Zverev (who came across as arrogant and aloof after practicing earlier).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yep, its that time of year again where everyone suddenly seems to like tennis, particularly if any of our home players do well.

Sir Andy is about to start on Centre Court, question is whether his hip problems of the last few weeks will have any bearing on his performance.

Hopefully Johanna Konta can have a good run in the Ladies Singles as well.

Anyone else tuning in?

Whilst I have no problem with other people liking Wimbledon, I would like to dispute the "everbody seems to like Tennis" bit. I don't like Tennis during this fortnight any more than any other time of the year, and will be studiously avoiding it over the next few days.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Whilst I have no problem with other people liking Wimbledon, I would like to dispute the "everbody seems to like Tennis" bit. I don't like Tennis during this fortnight any more than any other time of the year, and will be studiously avoiding it over the next few days.

I would say you are missing out on a terrific sport, but then I would say that, I follow it all year not just these two weeks. Yes, there can be some duff games, especially if a big serve dominates, but it really can be quite gladitorial once you get into it. Darts, on the other hand....

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I would say you are missing out on a terrific sport, but then I would say that, I follow it all year not just these two weeks. Yes, there can be some duff games, especially if a big serve dominates, but it really can be quite gladitorial once you get into it. Darts, on the other hand....

Darts! Don't get me started about darts....... But that's off topic. Enjoy your Wimbledon.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Darts! Don't get me started about darts....... But that's off topic. Enjoy your Wimbledon.

Thank you kindly. One of my biggest regrets is that my dad didn't live to see Murray pick up the trophy. Tennis was his game, which is no doubt where I got it from (I was quite good at one point and got to play Boris Becker !) - shame he never saw any home success.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Karolina Pliskova in trouble here - 5-2 down in her decider, would be helpful from Jo Konta's perspective if she was eliminated.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Karolina Pliskova in trouble here - 5-2 down in her decider, would be helpful from Jo Konta's perspective if she was eliminated.

Heather Watson too as they're in the same quater. Kvitova going out yesterday was massive for them as well. I was looking at the draw considering the possibilities and some posh chap behind me was explaining to his female companion about the draw being random and not possible to map out who would play who.

I turned around and gave him a look, in the truest British fashion, but left it there.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Konta favourite now according to Naylor.

Could it be a British double?!
Who'd have thought a few years ago that such a thing would even be a slightly realistic possibility!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
To call Konta the favourite shows a lack of understanding of tennis. She's not the favourite. There are many, many people in a better position to win the event than Konta. I would say that Heather Watson has a better chance of winning Wimbledon than Jo Konta, she's not a grass court player. I wouldn't even make her favourite to beat Sakkari, let alone win the tournament.

I was interviewed on Wimbledon TV and called out Pliskova as the winner so that went well.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Great first set from Heather Watson, she takes it 6-3 against Victoria Azarenka.

Aljaz Bedene, however, is 2-0 down in sets against Gilles Muller.

Andy Murray and Jo Konta are both due to play their 3rd round matches later today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here