Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunday Mirror : Sherwood & Riga up front as Sami struggles

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
how do you know riga plays great football then mr know it all and i am not clueless

Because I saw his Charlton side at The Amex and on TV and his Blackpool team got a point here with about five regular players.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Riga would be excellent ... Rated by mourinho. Very very clever bloke. Deserves a break, can't believe he joined Blackpool. Would also be relatively cheap.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
You know how we should always give a new manager a chance, a bedding in period, a honeymoon even............Hoddle would get the the first 45 minutes then I would be on his back. Weirdo that believes in psychics and karma for previous lives, just no, no, and no.

if he came, and there is such a thing as Karma, think about how much we have suffered up in bygone years, people ripping the club off, no home, no hope, no FA Cup win, never winning the 1st Division (old).

So Hod's comes here, gives us big dose of Karma, opposites to all the above take place, loads of dosh, bigger better Amex, hope in abundance, FA Cup winners in 2016, Premiership winners in 2017, European glory in 2018....

God I'm getting so excited and its not even Christmas Day yet. Bring him on ....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Riga would be excellent ... Rated by mourinho. Very very clever bloke. Deserves a break, can't believe he joined Blackpool. Would also be relatively cheap.

A post by someone who knows their football.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Know very little about the guy why do you rate him?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Charlton also sacked Chris Powell (who I rate) as he refused to pick all the players signed by the new owner.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

The harsh reality of our current situation means that regrettably I'm now in the camp hoping for a hard nosed, experienced, no nonsense, back to basics (British?) coach to stabilise our season and move us into mid table security.

Even so I'm not sure that the Pulis types are really acceptable to Tony Bloom - or affordable, assuming they would even be interested, especially when there may be Prem jobs vacant. Will Tony Bloom abandon his preferred managerial template? I guess he might, if only as a temporary and short term fix, maybe then start afresh next summer.

A month or two ago when we were first starting to wonder who might be our next manager I suggested Riga. Not because he is the best candidate for us - but because he appears to fit the Club's recent template i.e. a younger, ambitious continental manager, from slightly below the radar and with a record of working with an average Championship squad - and saving them from a relegation fight. He is not accustomed to a champagne transfer budget and is well connected in Europe, which ticks other boxes.

I know he showed rather bizarre judgement in taking on the Blackpool job, when it seemed such an obvious poisoned chalice. However I also take heart that he gave it a real go in adversity and would not cave into Oyston. So he might not be quite as compliant as some candidates (which is no bad thing) but I suspect he would regard the Albion job as a bed of roses by comparison.

Finally Riga has a more passionate presence on the touchline, is articulate with the media and has an air of confidence about him that ought to rub off on the players - all attributes that are conspicuously lacking in Sami.

It will be interesting to see if Bloom sticks to his template with Hyypia, maybe looks to similar candidates like Riga - or completely abandons it in favour of a Pulis type in order to rescue our season.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The harsh reality of our current situation means that regrettably I'm now in the camp hoping for a hard nosed, experienced, no nonsense, back to basics (British?) coach to stabilise our season and move us into mid table security.

Even so I'm not sure that the Pulis types are really acceptable to Tony Bloom - or affordable, assuming they would even be interested, especially when there may be Prem jobs vacant. Will Tony Bloom abandon his preferred managerial template? I guess he might, if only as a temporary and short term fix, maybe then start afresh next summer.

A month or two ago when we were first starting to wonder who might be our next manager I suggested Riga. Not because he is the best candidate for us - but because he appears to fit the Club's recent template i.e. a younger, ambitious continental manager, from slightly below the radar and with a record of working with an average Championship squad - and saving them from a relegation fight. He is not accustomed to a champagne transfer budget and is well connected in Europe, which ticks other boxes.

I know he showed rather bizarre judgement in taking on the Blackpool job, when it seemed such an obvious poisoned chalice. However I also take heart that he gave it a real go in adversity and would not cave into Oyston. So he might not be quite as compliant as some candidates (which is no bad thing) but I suspect he would regard the Albion job as a bed of roses by comparison.

Finally Riga has a more passionate presence on the touchline, is articulate with the media and has an air of confidence about him that ought to rub off on the players - all attributes that are conspicuously lacking in Sami.

It will be interesting to see if Bloom sticks to his template with Hyypia, maybe looks to similar candidates like Riga - or completely abandons it in favour of a Pulis type in order to rescue our season.

All sounds interesting i'll be interested to do a bit of research on him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here