Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can the Albion create and score enough goals to survive?

biddles911

May 12, 2014
The new signings do need time and it would probably be better to ease them in with somebody like Sidwell as a partner. They will come good, as long as they are not destroyed by the critics who already seem to have it in for Gross, Propper & Ryan.

A couple of seasons ago we played at a slow pace from the back. We seem to have gone back to this, loads of possession, loads of passing backwards & side wards. If you have 4 or 5 players doing this in our own half then the opposition are happy to sit back and have their 10 outfield players mark our other outfield players, good odds as 2 on each player. It also means our forward players cannot make runs because the ball is not being released. Last season we hit loads of teams on the counter with quick attacks, we need to get back to that.

Agree about more time needed for the new signings. Think there was similarly harsh criticism for Stockdale, Sidwell and Duffy, amongst others, in their early days and they ended up integral to our success.

Big difference from last season is that our counter-attacking last season was largely through Knocky who was on fire, particularly in the first half of the season.

Without him, we've only got March who's trying hard but having to do a lot of defensive duties because the midfield keep getting caught in possession.

Let's get our first eleven fit and out there with the new boys settled down before panicking. We were always going to get hammered a time or two in the Premier League (but that hasn't happened yet!).

Would the critics prefer us to be winning in the Championship or giving it a go in the Premier League?! Perhaps we should start another thread.........?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Palace played 3 at the back against a team who plays two very wide players which was a huge mistake. Spurs and Man City are two very different sides the latter of which is playing possession based football but we contained them well for 70min. Leicester was never going to be easy when you press the self destruct button inside a minute.

We are two games in without our full starting 11 and against 2 recent champions. Bit early to be making assessments about either ours or our relegation rivals chances yet

Not making any assessments about our survival chances, on other threads I have stated clearly it is too early to judge how our season will go, as we have players our injured, new players finding their feet, and new players yet to start, or even sign. my specific point was that we seem to have found the pace of the PL more unexpected than our promoted rivals. I was at Man City, and whilst being impressed with our defensive organisation, was slightly concerned that we couldn't retain any decent possession, and created virtually nothing in 90 mins. I wasn't there yesterday, so can't comment directly, but from what I've read/heard, we didn't put Leicester under any sustained pressure either.

FWIW I have every confidence that we will adapt and strengthen and give it a good go this season, we just seem off the pace atm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here