Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley preparing another bid for Stephens (but probably bollox Twitter rumour)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Not so much of an issue with King Kayal back.

You're right. It's not like Stephens has played every minute of the last 14 league games, 11 of which we have won, and 3 more victories before his suspension. Not exactly mainstay. We can replace him with lamps and hope Beram can spring into form off the bat. We'll be fine.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
You're right. It's not like Stephens has played every minute of the last 14 league games, 11 of which we have won, and 3 more victories before his suspension. Not exactly mainstay. We can replace him with lamps and hope Beram can spring into form off the bat. We'll be fine.

I can't believe some of the comments on this thread. As you say, Stephens has been a key part of our recent run and is a massive part of this team. We're unlikely to have a better chance of going up to the Premier League and there are still some on here suggesting we should sell him. It's crazy.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Good wind up.

[tweet]817014377467486208[/tweet]

As if Hughton is going to tell the famous Andy Naylor "I'm going to stick with the club policy of keeping all transfer dealings behind closed doors but yeah we're interested in signing him, hopefully he'll come. As long as no other club finds out we're trying to buy him, then we're in with a chance. Anyways, I've got to go. Have a good day Andy"

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No way would any club in England pay £8mil for a player with 6 months left on a contract.

I hear what you're saying BUT if you're tettering on relegation from the pig's feast that is the Premier League then £8m is nothing to bolster your midfield! That comment may come back to haunt you. (* But I hope not)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I hear what you're saying BUT if you're tettering on relegation from the pig's feast that is the Premier League then £8m is nothing to bolster your midfield! That comment may come back to haunt you. (* But I hope not)

That's why they get parachute payments.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
No he didn't. He gave an opinion about Zamora but no direct quote from Hughton.

He said the club had not spoken to Zamora. That was the week before he signed. Of course that is possible but also seems rather unlikely doesn't it.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
He said the club had not spoken to Zamora. That was the week before he signed. Of course that is possible but also seems rather unlikely doesn't it.

I probably should add that I don't doubt for a second that is what AN was told. It doesn't mean it's necessarily true though.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
That's why they get parachute payments.

Indeed however I think clubs coming down now don't see the opportunity to bounce straight back again as easy as it has been previously.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Normally, I'd agree with this scepticism, but in this case I remember there being a Player interview with BZ shortly after joining in which he said that it all happened very swiftly - the impression he gave was that it could have all been done within a week. :shrug:

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Normally, I'd agree with this scepticism, but in this case I remember there being a Player interview with BZ shortly after joining in which he said that it all happened very swiftly - the impression he gave was that it could have all been done within a week. :shrug:

Ok, fair enough. Like I said I wasn't doubting AN's accuracy anyway really, simply that you have to decide for yourself whether all the snippets fed him (and others) by the club are entirely true or perhaps occasionally just what they would prefer to have in the public domain at that moment in time. Just as an example - we were informed a week or so back to expect a quiet transfer window with minimal movement. Today we learn that in addition to those who have already left KLL, Ince and Hunt can all go out. Given that one might expect that you'd imagine we wouldn't want to be that short of numbers then it all suggests Jan might be busier than we were led to believe.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I can't see CH wanting to loose Stephens and I think that would only happen if TB wanted some money back, I don't think that is the case at the moment he wants Brighton in PL for both emotional and the potential financial reward. i think Stephens knows he might as well wait , going up in as a key player in a promoted team just adds to his value (wages)

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Burnley being an exception, recently.

They spent little, kept their players both going up and being relegated and used there parachute money to buy a top striker. Most of the other clubs were loaded with expensive players they had to offload so the clubs lost quality AND in general still could not buy to replace what they had lost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here