Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ***Player Ratings vs Leicester***

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Strangely I don’t think any of the players actually had a bad game, Izzy was below par, but other than that I can’t point a finger. We just had no cohesion and did not play as a team after the sending off. Rightly or wrongly I CAN point a finger at Hughton for not changing it around and yes I saw him urging the team forward but when it didn’t happen he should have reacted with subs much earlier than he did.

I’d give him a 4/10 and most of the team a 5

I agree and it saves me typing the same.
The draw, which seemed like a defeat, was down to a non active management team lead by CH.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
6 - average

Ryan - 6
Bruno - 7
Dunk - 7
Duffy - 7
Bernardo - 7
Knockaert 5
Propper - 6
Kayal - 4 (7 first half but he gave Leicester their goal)
Izquierdo - 4 (time for a rest)
Gross - 7 (good return. Hopefully he can improve further)
Murray - 7

Andone - 5
March - 5
Locadia - 6

Really pleased with the 1st half. A 2-0 lead would have been a fair reflection.

We gave Leicester way to much respect in the 2nd half as we tried to hold onto a 1-0 lead rather than put them away. 2 valuable points lost.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ryan 6 - perfectly serviceable with a couple of decent saves. Nothing spectacular though and nearly got caught with the ball a couple of times
Bruno 6 - a decent start but somehow managed to struggle second half despite both he and Knockaert being up against just Chilwell.
Duffy 6 - decent, the reckless challenge aside. This is the type of game that shows up his limitations with the ball and his desire to drop deep though. Simply not as effective when he's playing against smaller, nippier attackers.
Dunk 7 - my MOTM. Good on the ball, kept Okazaki in check and made a number of crucial clearances.
Bernardo 7 - a good debut. His positioning is much more natural than Bong's and he gives us more options on the outside. Also, a much better, more assured passer of the ball. Seems electric too. Seemed to make a lot of tackles. My only gripe is that, like Bruno, I think he should've got forward much more second half when he didn't have a direct opponent.
Knockaert 5 - a good ball for the goal, but he was average at best aside from that. Lucky to stay on as long as he did. Failed to really pressure Chilwell who had him in his pocket most of the game. Seemed to give the ball away a few times too.
Propper 6 - I totally felt for the 2 guys in CM today. CH, for some unknown reason, seemed totally oblivious to how outnumbered they were, even when Leicester went down to 10 men. Despite this, Propper kept the ball well, created a couple of chances and did his defensive work quite well.
Kayal 5 - the poorer of the two in midfield, and made worse by a rash challenge for the penalty. Struggled with the ball at times too, misplacing quite a few passes.
Izquierdo 6 - he's unlikely to lose his place as his pace is a real outlet for us. But his end product is becoming a real issue. I don't know where his shooting boots were, but he certainly wasn't wearing them. Did his defensive work well though and at least he did create opportunities for himself and others.
Gross 5 - unlucky with the offside flag at 1-0. I thought he looked off the pace. But despite that, he kept the ball quite well and created a couple of shots on goal. Will hopefully improve as he gets up to speed.
Murray 5 - a goal gets him marked up. But he just wasn't in the game, partly because of their high line, partly because of their defence, partly because of the ref, and partly because he fell over every time the ball went near him looking for a free kick that wasn't coming. Should've been subbed a lot earlier.

Subs
March 6 - a good cameo. Should've been on earlier. Back in his best position on the right too. Unlucky to be dropped to be honest.
Locadia 6 - also a good cameo for such a short period of time. Looked lively and created two late shots on goal.
Andone 5 - not really involved in his cameo, although showed pace and strength on a couple of occasions. Should've been given more time, and for me he needs to start more regularly if we're serious about getting some points more regularly in this league.

CH 3 - this is becoming a trend now. The second half was a genuine disgrace, yet again. Pre-game, I'd have personally taken a point against a good Leicester side. But based on how the game developed, this is very much 2 points dropped and I put that squarely at the feet of the manager. We're becoming so tactically predictable - his failure to notice that our midfield was outnumbered and that Leicester were finding it so easy to push up high because of Murray's lack of pace is absolutely criminal. And for those that say he must've seen it, then I'd ask why he didn't do anything about it? At the moment, his tactical approach is costing us points at a really critical time in our fixture list. Last time out at Cardiff, he could hide behind poor refereeing decisions, with the offside goal in particular. Not this time though. That just wasn't good enough.

bhafcjack

Nov 3, 2018
Brighton
Ryan - 6
Bruno - 6.5
Duffy - 6
Dunk - 7
Bernardo - 7.5
Proper - 6
Kayal - 5
Gross - 5
Knockaret - 6
Izquirerdo - 5
Murray - 6.5

March - 7
Locadia - 6.5
Andone - 5

CH - 5 First half great, second half poor.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I find it difficult to criticise Ryans kicking when the midfield pass sideways, then back, the defence do the same and he gets a semi suicidal back pass and one of the fastest strikers in the league charging at him, it's completely unnecessary and asking for trouble.

If we had a bit more movement up front there would be an outlet for the midfield without going backwards all the time.

Isquierdo needs a break, he's not playing well enough, doesn't look or think, shooting woeful.

We looked good first half, awful second half, subs too late. Bernardo MoM for me and CH lowest score of the lot.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Why when Leicester went down to 10 men did we not go 442. It would have penned them back ,instead CH makes it easy by keeping it ultra defensive

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
No point rating them except

Hughton - Zero

I am normally a big fan of Hughton, but yesterday was pathetic. I am starting to see why he was "unlucky" at Newcastle and Norwich now.

Leicester down to ten men, Murray injured and strapped up, and £30 million worth of strikers on the bench, Leicester playing with two cart horses as centre halves.

I was surprised not to see Andone on for Murray at half time. He's looked a different class coming of the bench in the last few games. He's definitely got something about him. I think him running at Leicester's old boys, would have reaped rewards. I was evem more surprised to see March on for Knockhart, when Jose was playing like a pratt.

I think its time to change our approach, especially against the lesser sides in the division and especially on the road. I would love to see Andone and Locordia start next week.

I think its time to give Murray a rest certainly away from home. He's been sussed, and isn't drawing fouls, or holding the ball up as he did.

And before I get flamed for saying that, we managed beat Newcastle without him. And we have not scored more than one goal a games in 8 games now. I think we have become far to over reliant on him, when we do not need to be.

Give Andone and Locadia a decent run and use Murray off the bench for a while. I think Andone mught surprise a few people.

Chris Hughton keeps saying they are different type of strikers and offer something different. Well, Chris, lets see them used in different ways, otherwise why did we sign them for? We may has well used the money to buy a similar player to Murray.

His lack of plan B is almost starting to get on par with Poyet..... (sorry that's too far. I'll go an wash my mouth out), but if ever there was a game to mix it up, then it was after the red card yesterday, but he just carried on the same way, and we got more than we deserved in the end, because a point against ten men flattered us.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
I did find it odd that in the second half, we had March (who only has a left foot) playing on the right, whilst Izquierdo (who only has a right foot) played on the left. Made both of them really predictable that they would cut inside and with an end result of no crosses into Murray.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I did find it odd that in the second half, we had March (who only has a left foot) playing on the right, whilst Izquierdo (who only has a right foot) played on the left. Made both of them really predictable that they would cut inside and with an end result of no crosses into Murray.

March put in 5 crosses in 18 minutes. So that's just utter crap. It was more than left footed Knockaert on the right who played 72 minutes. And only less than Gross who paid 81 and who takes set pieces.

The issue has never been a lack of delivery from wide, or even poor delivery. The issue is that, for almost all of every game, we don't get enough men in the box to be a threat.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
March put in 5 crosses in 18 minutes. So that's just utter crap. It was more than left footed Knockaert on the right who played 72 minutes. And only less than Gross who paid 81 and who takes set pieces.

The issue has never been a lack of delivery from wide, or even poor delivery. The issue is that, for almost all of every game, we don't get enough men in the box to be a threat.

Not doubting your stat, but poor delivery is a major issue for us. Incidentally Solly was on corners when he came on, one good one, one poor.

Solly has struggled in this area, but once again, he hit form, with good delivery at Cardiff particularly, and was left out, instead of the off-form Izquierdo and Knockaert.

I think he needs to play instead of Izquierdo.

Edit - I do agree numbers in the box are also a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Ryan - 7 (Solid)
Bruno - 7 (Workmanlike and innovative)
Dunk - 8 (MotM) (Great display)
Duffy - 7 (Good performance, needs to attack the ball more on corners)
Bernardo - 8 (Very good performance)
Knockaert - 5 (Looked lethargic)
Propper - 7 (Why didn't he run with the ball in the second half when on the edge of the box, it'd opened up for him)
Kayal - 6.5 (Schoolboy error on the penalty but looking better every game at the moment)
Izquierdo - 5 (Way too predictable when he's on the ball)
Gross - 7 (Good return)
Murray - 7 (Took chance well)

Andone - 6 (OK)
March - 6 (Sorry Son, you've had your chances, weak in the tackle, lack innovation and general desire to win)
Locadia - N/A (Should have been given 20 mins)

CH - 6 (We shouldn't be allowing a ten-man mid table team to come back into the game)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Hughton - 0 - I’m sorry, but the performance was a reflection of his tactics. Gutless and entirely negative. To draw against a mid table side down to ten men after half an hour and missing key players throughout, at home? Not good enough. I feel my player ratings are too positive, but the blame is with the tactics

THIS

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
So the premier league's joint 2nd top scorer has been sussed out!? Riiiiiiight. I think that stupid viewpoint negates any other opinion you have.
You should see his opinions on stuff other than football. I just scroll through now. Nice to see consistency though.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You are forgetting who took the perfect corner that Murray scored from. I would NEVER pick March over a fit AK, but that’s just me.

When I think of March crossing I think of a player with his head down who doesn’t even bother to look up before he crosses. Is that too harsh?

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
If 6 is average,

Many reviews for individuals are stated higher than that but, if the same review averages 7 and the team performance is rated at say 6, that doesn't stack up as all players contribute to the team performance.

Can someone please tell me what I am missing.

Awaits flaming !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Knockaert and March are the two best assisters in the team with 4 and 3 respectively. If March is so much worse at crossing that AK then why is he only 1 assist behind him?

Well one of them has scored a goal too but had less game time. More about AK’s game too imo.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here