Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Interesting and exactly the sort of case study that shows that the flag wavers in the Tory party and beyond really didn't have a clue about the chaos they were unleashing. OK maybe relatively few jobs will be lost - but how will this in any way serve the interests of the UK?
Re-reading my post, I think a company has to get a license with a single country BUT the conditions under which they do so differs from country to country.

So if I didn't make it clear above, this is a huge mainly London based industry where most of their sales are made to the non UK EU.

It's nothing to do with where the best programmes are made, it's everything to do with how they are "processed", selected and sold to consumers abroad.

In the event of no deal being reached, it's a complete no-brainer to relocate to Dublin or the even the Netherlands where everyone speaks English. In reality not much stopping them.

One very large American broadcaster has moved all it's actual "content" into the cloud. Still actually "transmitted" from the UK, but all the editorial staff, lawyers, schedulers etc.. are still based in the London European hub.

A lot of the staff with be non UK EU nationals since (obviously) international broadcasters like a fair number of international staff.

With the potential hassle of operating such a business from London, both on the staffing front and the licensing front it can't be labelled "project fear" to predict where the industry will go.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Over the Chequers option .... yes.

If you are still backing 'no deal', and think you're going to be bouncing your list on 29th March, I suggest you get some money out of pensions and invested in tarmac companies, suppliers of Paper and Pens, and recruitment agencies (particularly NI based).

Because we now have less than 6 months to build all those customs posts, lorry parks, recruit staff and you and I both know that there will be no IT systems in place :lolol:

One bright spot - I've always thought laying Tarmac over Dover may improve it

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Didn't say TV production.

Unless you work in the industry, you wouldn't be aware the broadcast industry is large in particularly London. It's less of a technology issue, but we have the staff and you broadcast into the EU with only a "UK" licence.

Ofcom can't do that now unless an agreement is made. Teresa May has already made reference to it.

Broadcasters are making plans now and other facility companies have even taken a punt and bought up companies in the EU to pick up work.

I'm not a rampant remainer - I'm just relaying what's currently happening. The difference here with other examples is the EU has everything to gain and the UK only everything to lose.

Will televisions stop working :) ? No
Will we still make the best programmes ? Yes

Will a behind-the-scenes but very large industry relocate over time away from London ? The Irish government will make it very attractive.

Last edited:

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
It's all a massive car crash. I read with dismay that 90% of the over 65's voted in the Brexit referendum, and only c64% of the 18-24 age took part in the vote.

Every single day now we're reminded that both the Chequers deal AND a No-deal will pretty much shaft the entire country. All we can hope is that the government finally sees sense, and puts a stop to it.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Most other clubs listen to the concerns of their members and improve the service. They understand that without the members and their membership fees there is no club.

So the EU is a club now? Or is it like the Soviet Union?

Confusing.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
And this quote from a thinktank report yesterday;

"The model also suggests that had Britain not voted to leave, the deficit would be down to just 0.1% of GDP, or £2bn. It would mean the austerity drive in place since 2010 would be all but complete."

Smart move Brexiteers. :sigh:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It's all a massive car crash. I read with dismay that 90% of the over 65's voted in the Brexit referendum, and only c64% of the 18-24 age took part in the vote.

Every single day now we're reminded that both the Chequers deal AND a No-deal will pretty much shaft the entire country. All we can hope is that the government finally sees sense, and puts a stop to it.

I regret that while I totally agree with your sentiments, there is one fatal flaw in your posting. Can you spot it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Go and check for yourself - every single one of those points* has been suggested, implied or explicitly said ( including the now traditional posting of other peoples Twitter posts ) on this thread. It's not my fault how utterly ridiculous and exaggerated it looks when all put in one list ..... but then the remain campaign rather liked hyperbole didn't it !

* OK, I made up one :lol:

If we leave with no deal, I'll predict that at least half your list will happen, albeit to a lesser extent than suggested there. However, you'll be able to give yourself a big pat on the back that things were nowhere near as bad as predicted because only some of the disasters happened, and your no deal Brexit will be a TRIUMPH because our economy only contracted by 5% instead of the 10% predicted by all these nasty remoaners.

That's a ridiculous analogy. The EU has a democratic structure in place (several, in fact) where members' concerns can be aired and dealt with. It so happens that many of the UK's concerns aren't shared by other members, so nothing was done - but that's no different from any other club.

In this instance, the UK has decided that its concerns are such that it wants to leave the club. What you seem to want is someone leaving the club having the exact same privileges as those still in it: I know of no other club that lets former members do this.

I do get exasperated by some of my fellow leavers who post bone-headed statements like that - it gives the impression that all leavers are idiots, which just isn't true.
What you fail to understand is that while [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] might appear to one of the biggest simpletons on this thread, he is in fact actually an expert on the EU. This is because his mum is Italian. He may have mentioned it once or twice.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You are going to get similar examples to the one I posted above. There will a number of media industries that have traditionally been based in the UK, specifically because we are a member of the EU.

Technology changes are already starting to give companies the option to move away from their expensive London offices. Since they are already used to relocating outside of London, not much reason to move out of the UK. You've then only got one "tricky" market to negotiate - the UK - which will just roll over.

Shut down the UK HQ with thousands of staff and move it to Dublin with all the incentives their goverment will offer.

Replace it with a skeleton staff to placate the now hugely diminished UK only regulator if you want to broadcast here.

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
With the DUP declaring that the GFA is not sacrosanct, and could be amended to facilitate a hard border with the ROI, where does democracy stand, bearing in mind 71% of those who voted supported the agreement?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Watched Boris, with clenched jaw. Cannot stand the guy but (of course) the audience cheered him to the rafters. He totally upstaged everyone else at the conference which to be fair isn't that much of an achievement. I think the word grandstanding could have been made for him.
A few jokes (some good, others not) a few cheap shots, a whole heap of rhetoric but very little of substance (a few anecdotes about great firms in his own constituency) and that same old/ same old about exciting possibilities with few being identified.
Nothing new. This is increasingly an internecine Tory war and the rest of us can stand back and wait for the winner to emerge...……….while the country is in pain.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Watched Boris, with clenched jaw. Cannot stand the guy but (of course) the audience cheered him to the rafters. He totally upstaged everyone else at the conference which to be fair isn't that much of an achievement. I think the word grandstanding could have been made for him.
A few jokes (some good, others not) a few cheap shots, a whole heap of rhetoric but very little of substance (a few anecdotes about great firms in his own constituency) and that same old/ same old about exciting possibilities with few being identified.
Nothing new. This is increasingly an internecine Tory war and the rest of us can stand back and wait for the winner to emerge...……….while the country is in pain.

They really need to sort it out.

Force May out or shut up and accept Chequers, stop pissing in from outside the tent.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Really don't think there is any point of the Tory conference this year, its a lot about nothing

We're just waiting for the tidal wave that arrives on 18th October and those with their heads in the sand have to start swimming

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And this quote from a thinktank report yesterday;

"The model also suggests that had Britain not voted to leave, the deficit would be down to just 0.1% of GDP, or £2bn. It would mean the austerity drive in place since 2010 would be all but complete."

Smart move Brexiteers. :sigh:

Indeed we've lost 2.5% of GDP against where we would be if we had voted remain. Austerity really would be getting eased by now, instead we have the foot hard to the pedal and Britain is plunged into the unknown.

My biggest fear is a Corbyn government really would be out of the frying fan and into the fire.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What you fail to understand is that while [MENTION=22389]bashlsdir[/MENTION] might appear to one of the biggest simpletons on this thread, he is in fact actually an expert on the EU. This is because his mum is Italian. He may have mentioned it once or twice.

:lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If we leave with no deal, I'll predict that at least half your list will happen, albeit to a lesser extent than suggested there. However, you'll be able to give yourself a big pat on the back that things were nowhere near as bad as predicted because only some of the disasters happened, and your no deal Brexit will be a TRIUMPH because our economy only contracted by 5% instead of the 10% predicted by all these nasty remoaners.

A pat on the back and a price worth paying. Although it probably won’t be folk like [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] that will be paying for it, it will be others. Just like the selfish pensioners with their triple-locked deals.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Who would have thought getting in to bed with the DUP would end up in disaster?

[tweet]1047080807947489281[/tweet]

The Tories have totally ****ed it.

No wonder May is refusing to appear on Channel 4 News.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here