Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Russian welcome mat laid out for our fans....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Same thing happened in Amsterdam to 60 England - literally unbelievable to nick and fine people just because they were English and the twats who caused trouble had all ran off - and there was only 4 of them who started it!

I can only comment on what I saw on TV, and perhaps we are being misled - but there were an awful lot more than 4 people on that bridge in Amsterdam throwing beer (and a bloody BIKE) at innocent tourists on boats below.

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I've been in Moscow for the past week and everyone has been very welcoming. Haven't ever felt unsafe - including tube journeys alone late at night. No more to worry about than London so far.
With murders in London up to 74 and counting so far this year that's not saying a lot ...

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
I have spent quite a bit of time in Russia, as my wife is originally from there, and I can only echo the reports of the fans on this thread who are currently there. Russian people are generally friendly and helpful, and I have felt safe in Moscow day and night. I am not sure I would feel so safe in some of the gang-infested parts of London at night.

However, and here is the caveat, young Russian males are generally quite macho and masculine, in a way that our society has moved away from, and are often trained in mixed martial arts. A small sub-section of these are nationalists and / or football hooligans, and these would not be people to mess with. I feel very sure that most normal fans will be fine, but if any English idiots start behaving like the knobs that have previously been mentioned on this thread, then they better watch out.

Interestingly, there is a real difference between our "old school" hooligans, like the ICF or old Millwall, who would have given the Russian hoolies a good run for their money, and today's anti-social idiots. The former were just out for a fight, whereas the latter seem to want to behave like moronic chavs but without consequences. This time, there will be some.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Even during the worst of days our fans rarely seemed to cause trouble on home soil. Scotland, excepted, perhaps. But even in those rare encounters it seemed to be the Jocks that started things.

I wonder if it is the same in Russia. Hopefully so. I'm guessing that they wouldn't expect government support on this occasion. Image and all that.

It looks like many have chosen not to travel. Could be more like Japan/Korea this time.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I can only comment on what I saw on TV, and perhaps we are being misled - but there were an awful lot more than 4 people on that bridge in Amsterdam throwing beer (and a bloody BIKE) at innocent tourists on boats below.

Different situation. Yes there was a fair bit of twattish behaviour (10k over there so always likely whatever nation tbh) but inexcusable. The 60 nicked as a token to boost the numbers for the English press was because 4 Blackburn & Burnley fans had a go at each other and the old bill went in from here which caused mayhem. Then came back from the trouble to nick those innocents that had stayed behind and not followed the trouble!

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
With murders in London up to 74 and counting so far this year that's not saying a lot ...

Murders in Moscow are much higher at 4.6 per 100000 people compared with 1.6 in London. Murder rate in London is low in comparison to a lot of European cities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here